Page 4 of 29
Originally posted by Gurgle!Argh!
i always thought that it was acceptable to put in the 9th and 11th in a 13 chord... i mean, you wouldn't want to, cos it'd probably sound godawful, but i thought it was theoretically correct...

as i said, they are optional but as you say they arent used in any voicing you will see, 1 because they sound crap and 2 because it would make it an incredible hard chord to voice. As we try to keep these threads in the bounds of musical sense and application i wouldnt name those set of notes as 13+5, its likes writing out the C major scale and rather than naming it C ionian naming it a C 13 arpeggio.
People have got to start saying what they are looking for, we dont know if it was a scale or a arpeggio?
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
as i said, they are optional but as you say they arent used in any voicing you will see, 1 because they sound crap and 2 because it would make it an incredible hard chord to voice. As we try to keep these threads in the bounds of musical sense and application i wouldnt name those set of notes as 13+5, its likes writing out the C major scale and rather than naming it C ionian naming it a C 13 arpeggio.

oh, ok then... well.. having all the notes would make it an impossible chord to voice too i guess...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
ok new rules im making up on the spot,

1. You must state what your looking for, if you dont everyone is to ignore your post and anyone can post a tab.

2. If your after a chord you can have no more than 5 notes, and it must be a playable voicing.

This is to try and speed the game up and not have it too advanced so other folks can join in.
C13+ is the best name for the proposed chord (I'm sorry about not specifying). I was actually looking for the name when it's root is A since that is what the chord functions as in relation to the song it's in... whatever.

Punkarse is up.
^^ Thanks. OK, I'll go for something a bit different. Since this is a bit new it won't be too hard (so everybody give it a try).

Here is a passage from a solo:
                                              C
e-----------------|-------------------------|--------
B-----------------|---------6---------------|----------
G-----------------|----5-9----9-7-6---------|-----------
D---------------5-|-7-----------------9-8-6-|-5~~-------
A-5p4-5-7/8-------|-------------------------|-----------
E-----------------|-------------------------|----------

Right. What could the backing chords be behind this? I don't want any fancy substitutions, just simple backing chords. The last bar is already done for you. Don't try and work out chords from all of the notes written. They are an embellishment on a simple backing, so what simple backing would work well behind this?

Hint: Only one chord per bar!
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
Last edited by Punkarse at Nov 23, 2004,
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
I wouldnt use Dm for the first bar, would clash badly with the F#.

then what would you use, the whole way he described what he wants leads us to a Dm because of the flat 3rd, I think he doesn't really understand the theory behind the chord progressions because he said he wanted chords based off each bar but in one he has an F and another an F#.
dang I meant C# help us out here punkarse, enlighten us with your presence
Personally I think this D chord for the first bar (x,x,0,2,3,3) would sound pretty good with it. The C# with the D sounds quite nice if you ask me. Just play the open D string and then the first part on the A string and it sounds ok.
It's the C# on the G string in the second bar that I don't think sounds nice with the Am more than anything in the progressions you've put down.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Right OK, OK. I can see this hasn't really worked.

That part of the solo was based on an II V7 I chord progression, one of the most common progression ever, making the chords Dm, G7, C. It was in a sort of mock-bop style (almost bebop, but not quite). It sounds best played fast over a Djangoesque backing.

I've just noticed a mistake in what I had originally written. This is what I meant:
Originally posted by Punkarse

C
e-----------------------|--------------------|--------
B-----------------------|---6----------------|----------
G----------------------5|-9----9-7-6---------|-----------
D---------------5--7----|--------------9-8-6-|-5~~-------
A-5p4-5-7/8-------------|--------------------|-----------
E-----------------------|--------------------|----------

The C# in the first bar was simply a passing tone, briefly impling harmonic minor (well....I liked it). The rest of that bar was based on D dorian.

The second bar was just played by ear without any particular scale in mind, although the fact that the run ended on G should have been a clue that G was a key tone somewhere along the line.

Yeah, sorry about this waste of time, and next time I'll try for something a bit less confusing. I'll give the go back to leo, as he was the closest to the answer I would have liked.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
I'm not feeling too creative today, I'm handing it over to whoever.
Here, I'll go...

Alright, this little solo thing has all of the notes of what chord?

~~                  ~~
|-------------------|-------------------|
|-------------------|-------------14----|
|----11-15-11-------|----11-15-11-------|
|-13----------13----|-13----------------|

~~
|-------------------------|-----------------------|
|-------------------------|-----------------------|
|-------------------11----|-----------------------|
|----------14----14----14-|----14-15b16r(15)-15---|
|----11-15----15----------|-15--------------------|
|-13----------------------|-----------------------|
FmM7(b9)
OK, Strat_man, would you take your go again? I don't have time at the moment.
Alright, will do.

Same as before:

|-3-| |-3-| |-3-| |-3-|   |-3-| |-3-| |-3-| |-3-|   |-3-| |-3-|
  E E E E E E E E E E E E   E E E E E E E E E E E E   E E E E E E H
|-------------------------|-------------------------|----------------|
|-------------------------|-2-0-0-2-0-0-2-0-0-2-0-0-|-2-0-0----------|
|-4-3-0-4-3-0-4-3-0-4-3-0-|-------------------------|-------4-3-0----|
|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------------0--|
i believe it could be Am (11), i think that could be it but i may be wrong, most likely
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.
Well that would make the root E. If you look at everything in relation to E then you get:

C#- major sixth
C- minor sixth
A- fourth (or eleventh, but considering theres no third I would say fourth)
E- root
D- minor seventh

I have no idea how you would go about naming such a chord.

Esusaug(6) maybe? The sus implies 1, 4,5,b7 the aug I guess sharpens the 5 but I think would also imply a third. The add 6 is self explanatory. So the question boils down to the interpretation of a sus and an aug in the same chord name.

I would however, have named it an A(11)(#9)/E chord.
following your root, i dunno, perhaps just call it E13#5.
The lick totally....

|-3-| |-3-| |-3-| |-3-|   |-3-| |-3-| |-3-| |-3-|   |-3-| |-3-|
  E E E E E E E E E E E E   E E E E E E E E E E E E   E E E E E E H
|-------------------------|-------------------0-----|----------------|
|-------------------------|-2-0-0-2-0-0-2-0-0---0---|-2-0-0----------|
|-4-3-0-4-3-0-4-3-0-4-3-0-|-----------------------4-|-------4-3-0----|
|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------------0--|
Last edited by The_Strat_Man at Nov 25, 2004,
E G A C C# D

1 b3 4 b6 6 b7

Em13addmaj6

it doesnt seem right really as a name.. i suck at naming chords though...
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Nov 25, 2004,
Its the longest of all shots, but:

A(11)
-------
Em#5

Now I have to ask myself, why did I even bother with that guess?
Originally Posted by guitar_freak333
I dont like death metal, I just see it as a bunch of hairy men playing the same riff over and over again exetremely fast.
Emsusaug(6) thats all i got if its wrong i give up on this one
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.
Not yet... Come on guys.

FINAL HINT:
Here's the notes:
E G B# C# A D
Last edited by The_Strat_Man at Nov 25, 2004,
Em6sus4aug5

EDIT: I'm almost positive-- the radioheadfreak wouldve nailed it, except he said sus and not sus4

DOUBLE EDIT: That is one awful-sounding chord
Last edited by rhcpcure2826 at Nov 25, 2004,