Page 5 of 29
thats what i noticed^ but im at a loss, here. i wonder if there's a specific symbol for chords for which there is a third as well as a fourth. (but i guess that there has to be)

maybe just 4 without the sus...

fine, ill try one more time:

Em4/6aug5

probably not right though...

this is my weakest aspect musically... it's a lot easier to do it just the opposite way.
Last edited by rhcpcure2826 at Nov 25, 2004,
You can't call something a 4, it has to be add4 or add11.

Write out the degrees of the E major scale and figure it out. I'll give you that it is long, with some adds in it. Now go!
Okay. Youve basically hammered home that there has to be an augumented fifth in there (with the B#), but there is also a minor third. I wouldnt know how to name such a chord, Theres also the 11th (A) and the b7 (D). So this is the only option I see left:

E#5(m7)(#9)(11)(13)

The main problem is the minor third/aug fifth. And for the record, whatever this chord is, it is my least favorite chord in the whole world.
kinda stupid lol, oh well, you're up shoestick

btw when you said i would've nailed it but forgot the 4 i was going by what everyone said about just sus being 1 4 5 b7, so thats why i didn't say sus4
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.
Last edited by radioheadfreak at Nov 25, 2004,
Strat Man, your voicing works, but I'd rather call it Emin13aug and leave it at that, since it implies the same degrees: 1, b3, #5, b6, 11, 13

...or, if you would graciously forgive my ignorance and correct me.

EDIT: ****!!! I could have sworn that 6 to be a 7... well, thanks for clarifying that.
Last edited by leo_p8 at Nov 26, 2004,
It can't be Em13aug because that contains the 9th.

I would call it Em7aug(11)(13), but Strat_Mans voicing works just as well. Hurry up, Shoestick, Strat's called you up.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
Originally posted by The_Strat_Man
I'll give it to Shoestick, rhcp, you forgot the 7.

The correct voicing: Em7add6add11#5

Long, eh?

i don't want to be awkward here, but seriosuly, whats the point in calling it that?

it'd be much more concise to call it an Em13addmaj13 or something like that... i mean, you've got a minor chord, with a b7, a b6 and an 11, which could be called a m13 chord i'd say, then you've got a maj13 as well.

the thing is, i think this has gotten silly. to be honest, i'd have just called this arpeggio an Em11, and just call the 6 and b6 notes added just to make it more interesting, i don't think it really matters that we haven't included the 6 and b6 in the name, because you can get the idea of what is going on in the chord without it, i doubt anyone would begrudge you for calling it that... i know that that voicing ignores the lack of a 5 or 9, but honestly, that really doesn't matter, you've still got the flavour of the chord

i mean, seriously, when you have this many different notes, to be honest, it isn't an arpeggio in my opinion. its a lick. finding the chord its an arpeggio of is ridiculous, because it doesn't have a clear enough tonality. i mean, seriously, there are six notes there! if you're gonna give six notes, its barely got a clear enough tonality to call it anything, so you can't be picky about what people do call it, and youcan't be anal about including every tone, its about getting across the flavour of the chord.

i dont want you to think i'm having a go at you, its just a general thing in this thread, people seem to want to compete to make the most complex arpeggios or whatever, and its ridiculous really, because they've stopped being genuine, musical arpeggios.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
^^I agree about not making the chords impossibly big, but not about 'it doesn't matter about the 6 and b6'. They do matter, otherwise Strat_Man wouldn't have included them in his lick.

It wasn't an arpeggio, but this is not the arpeggio thread. This is the ... thread. He can made it what he likes and set whatever exercise he likes. But I agree, as beat said above, too many chord tones is just silly because the chord starts to become ambiguous and the racks of possible names mount up.

Em7aug(11)(13) is, however, a chord, and if that is what was spelt out, that is what it is. Just because 'that sort of thing doesn't happen in the real world' doesn't mean you can miss out tones at will. In a band situation you would, but when naming it...it's just sloppy.

{edit}

Also, beat set the rules as 'no more than 5 tones' for arpeggios. Lets follow that rule, people.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
Last edited by Punkarse at Nov 26, 2004,
^^thats what i mean though... its not an arpeggio, so why are we finding chord names for it!?

sure, i totally agree to maybe finding the chord the lick is based around... but that wouldn't necessarily invlove all the tones played.

i just think this is getting silly, as far as i'm concerned, when a lick is as long as this, and has the number of tones this has, finding one chord that its outlining is silly...
^^ I agree. One big sustained chord throughout is practically impossible. What would've worked better would be a different chord for each bar.

As for ;

(Q) Why are we finding the chord names...

(A) Because that is what Strat_man set the exercise as.

That's what it all boils down to.
^^in conclusion, this thread is getting silly...

anyway... i guess its thingymajigs turn...
ive gotta agree that the name of that 'chord' is absolutely ridiculous. This is exactly why i hate these types of threads and generally close them whenever i can get away with it. They always move from being a very useful musical exercise to a competition on who can come up with the most outrageous, ridiculous, musically inept chord/scale/arpeggio/whatever.
^ Sorry about the extrenuous naming of the chord. If it wasn't hard, why bother making this a "Name the" kind of thread? I know that I did make it long, but if it isn't long, hard to figure out, etc., then who would want to have their go? If I just did it off of the Am chord, it would be over in 1 post. After nobody got it, I gave the notes and the root. They should've easily gotten it from there. This is also practice for correct naming of the chord. Sorry for my rants, but, I had to get my point across.

In other news: Shoestick, it's your turn.

Edit:
I now see that you set a rule on the number of tones. Sorry about that, I didn't read it. I'll stick to that (and probably under) from now on.
Last edited by The_Strat_Man at Nov 26, 2004,
^ i always thought of this thread as a cool way to pick up different voicings, arpeggios that i might not normally come up with and can actually use. i think that is one of the reasons why people don't like the crazy things that you can only use in a handful of situations
Originally posted by Punkarse
^^I agree about not making the chords impossibly big, but not about 'it doesn't matter about the 6 and b6'. They do matter, otherwise Strat_Man wouldn't have included them in his lick.

It wasn't an arpeggio, but this is not the arpeggio thread. This is the ... thread. He can made it what he likes and set whatever exercise he likes. But I agree, as beat said above, too many chord tones is just silly because the chord starts to become ambiguous and the racks of possible names mount up.

Em7aug(11)(13) is, however, a chord, and if that is what was spelt out, that is what it is. Just because 'that sort of thing doesn't happen in the real world' doesn't mean you can miss out tones at will. In a band situation you would, but when naming it...it's just sloppy.

{edit}

Also, beat set the rules as 'no more than 5 tones' for arpeggios. Lets follow that rule, people.

Oh and gurgle has a point, simplyfying the name like that should be encouraged in threads like this, like how Cas started talking about simplifying chords with lots of alterations with the simple prefix of alt. I see no value in us all sat here scratching our heads trying to work out how to incorporate b6 and 6 etc, especially when there are probably two or three equally good if not more succinct names if you used different roots.
shoestcik,could you do an easier one so dumbass' like me have even a slight chance of getting them?

its pretty pointless for any one less than an advanced music theory head looking at this thread,its just to dam confusing.

and if its realy simple,could you theory heads not answer it so the less clever people have a chance?
Need.New.Sig.
Shoestick's.
Seeings as Shoestick isnt posting ill post something to get this going again.

a chord

e--4--
b--5--
g--4--
d--6--
a--5--
e--0--
dam you farcry,that was about the only one i can get in this entire thread.

ahh well
Need.New.Sig.
hehe sorry, second time I looked in this thread, I'll let you get the next one.
i'll do one, its pretty easy

too many tones, try again, Beat!
Last edited by radioheadfreak at Nov 29, 2004,
good and u others that know your theory well leave this one for the newbs, as that was the point of it
Do I have to actually tab this stuff out...or are you guys good enough just to name all the pitches in any one chord.

Bbmaj7 b9 #11 b13--

Don't blame me...blame Miles Davis.

PM for the answer...heh heh
That's actually a pretty precisely named chord, don't know why you'd need us to list the pitches (by the way, they'd be Bb D F A C E Gb, and it'd sound good over something in.. a few diminished scales, Hindu, 8-tone spanish maybe, probably one of the bebop scales?) But it's still radiohead's Q.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
IN an arpegio,would you have to name all the tones?

is it A minor?
Need.New.Sig.
^^yeah, you do... you'll be able to though, its not too tricky an arpeggio... either if it does ignore the five tone rule...
k here's a chord. Its also very easy.

e----------8---------------
B----------9---------------
G----------9---------------
D---------11---------------
A--------------------------
E--------------------------

sry about b4 beat, i forgot about the tone thing.
Last edited by radioheadfreak at Nov 30, 2004,
lets try some harder stuff after this please, someone like beat or SD give us a question on tonal centre or something.
Originally posted by radioheadfreak
k here's a chord. Its also very easy.

e----------8---------------
B----------9---------------
G----------9---------------
D---------11---------------
A--------------------------
E--------------------------

sry about b4 beat, i forgot about the tone thing.

wait,aren't we still on the arpegio?
Need.New.Sig.
it wasn't really allowed... it had more than five tones... to be honest... that thing was basically an A minor scale... albeit not in the right order...
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
Radioheadfreak, your chord is DbmM7, tones are Db Fb Ab C.

is that right?i was thinkin DbMaj7b3