I currently have 3 springs in the back of my guitar (it was originally in E standard) and I dropped it down to Drop C (CGCFAD) with .011 to .52 gauge strings. The strings still feel slightly loose, so does this sound like i should add springs to the back?
Do you have your bridge level now? Adding springs is just going to tighten it and make the bridge sink in. If your bridge is level and you don't like how loose your springs are then you just need thicker strings. The Floyd has nothing to do with that.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Do you have your bridge level now? Adding springs is just going to tighten it and make the bridge sink in. If your bridge is level and you don't like how loose your springs are then you just need thicker strings. The Floyd has nothing to do with that.

yeah, the bridge is level now. i originally had .011 to .48 for drop c but went lower to .52 and it still feels slightly too loose. i wasnt sure, because ive read that you should add a spring if you're using over standard .10's. I was considering using Daddarios Drop C strings instead (.12 to .60) but im really not sure.
Quote by spitfire915
yeah, the bridge is level now. i originally had .011 to .48 for drop c but went lower to .52 and it still feels slightly too loose. i wasnt sure, because ive read that you should add a spring if you're using over standard .10's. I was considering using Daddarios Drop C strings instead (.12 to .60) but im really not sure.

Add a spring if you're using thicker strings than .10's in standard, yes.
If you feel the strings are still loose, keep going bigger till you find what you like.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
They say to use another spring for higher gauges because two springs alone may not necessarily be able to be tightened enough to counteract the tension. Since it's level already, the amount of springs you have is already doing their job. So, if you still think they're to loose, trying the .12 is definitely the way to go.

On a sidenote, I like .11s and I'm a step and a half down. Perhaps I just have weak pussy fingers.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
They say to use another spring for higher gauges because two springs alone may not necessarily be able to be tightened enough to counteract the tension. Since it's level already, the amount of springs you have is already doing their job. So, if you still think they're to loose, trying the .12 is definitely the way to go.

On a sidenote, I like .11s and I'm a step and a half down. Perhaps I just have weak pussy fingers.

nothing wrong with that, its just a matter of preference. I want my guitar which is in Drop C to feel like its in standard E tension-wise and im having a hard time, given all the factors involved with a floyd.