Hey UG,
I'm in a band and we've gone into a studio and recorded professional tracks. Now I want to send this demo out/give it out at shows, but I want to have a product that doesn't look home made. Does anybody know how I could get this done online for about a dollar a cd?
I need a jewel case, a cover and an image printed on the cd.
http://www.discmakers.com has some good prices on that sort of stuff. Also consider that you need the artwork done, which can be pricey if you can't get someone to do it for free.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Geez... at a dollar a disc?

We got ours professionally done and it cost twice that - and that was getting a run of 500.

Some ways to whittle down the price, though:
-straight black and white - colour printing costs more, both in the jewel case and on the disc itself
-larger runs generally work out to a lower price per unit
-have a 2 panel cover instead of a 4-panel cover.

... of course, 2 panel black and white looks less "professional" than 4 panel full colour with colour printed on the disc....

It is a trade-off.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by zumania
AlanHB, it's a great site!

How does the spambot know my name?
Soundcloud
Quote by axemanchris
Geez... at a dollar a disc?

We got ours professionally done and it cost twice that - and that was getting a run of 500.

Some ways to whittle down the price, though:
-straight black and white - colour printing costs more, both in the jewel case and on the disc itself
-larger runs generally work out to a lower price per unit
-have a 2 panel cover instead of a 4-panel cover.

... of course, 2 panel black and white looks less "professional" than 4 panel full colour with colour printed on the disc....

It is a trade-off.

CT

Yea we've got a conveniently simple coloured album cover and disc.
how did you get yours done?
Artwork makes a HUGE difference in how professional you come across. Who are you using for your design? We get all our design work done through a place full of graphic designers that really know the music business - Indie Graphic Design. They really know how to capture who you are at your core and make you look badass. It can really pay off BIG to put a little extra money into it. Maybe consider crowdsourcing sites like kickstarter, pledgemusic, sellaband, etc. to fund the release of the CD?
Quote by Vendetta V
Draven, can you tell more about the crowdsourcing sites?

The site itself is setup as an escrow or "we'll hold the money until you're ready to deliver" type of account. This makes people less worried about losing their money. What you do is set a monetary goal, and then come up with all sorts of cool stuff and experiences to sell that help you raise the money you need. You can sell just a CD and a download, all the way up to charging hundreds or thousands of $$ for a huge experience with the band including a lot of merch. Josh Freese had several packages for sell for 10's of thousands, where you got to go to Disneyland and clubbing with Twiggy, mini-golf with Tool, Trapeze Lessons with Nine Inch Nails, his car, and more. Not that you can promise your fans days out with major bands, but the point is about making it an experience that's worth the price and raises the money you need at the same time.
Quote by PaisleyWilde
Yea we've got a conveniently simple coloured album cover and disc.
how did you get yours done?

We used a company called Hypnotic Duplication, but any of the links I had for them seem to be dead.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Why are the spambots productive users and all the productive users being spambots? It must be opposite day!

If this is so 99.9999999% of the time a song is in a mode. And also the resolution of a song is determined by the fiddly stuff you put over it, not the chord progression. Use scale generators, not your ears. A metronome can never keep time as well as the human mind. The new Lou Reed/Metallica cross-over album is the best thing ever. Twilight Breaking Dawn Part I is a shoe in for the Best Movie Academy Award.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The new Lou Reed/Metallica cross-over album

WOT??!!

CT

Oh..... my..... god.......

I guess on the heels of that, though, you KNEW this was an inevitability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9LcJwX9dnE&feature=related

"Okay, it wasn't nearly as bad as St. Anger, but the moment you think they're moving in the right direction, they pull this sh!t???"

CT