I am a long time guitar player (more then 25 years). I finally find myself interested in a bass. I was given an amp by a friend of mine. Went to the music ahop and loved both of these basses. I couldn't decide. Maybe some of you can help me. Here they are.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-special-bass-with-flame-maple-top

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-77/430660000001257

Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
squier
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Swannie
squier

Get a Squier, but there are better models like the Vintage Modified and the Classic Vibe ones.
i personally prefered thesquier and that's why i bought it... i mean, it's like the best beginner bass you can get, and everyone here says it sounds even better than some MIM fenders. so its even more than just a beginner bass. I think there is no better bass for the price, still you may look into Ibanez, Yamaha and Peavey and try some of them before buying. and i couldn't play the 77, but i like 70's better. even though i don't think there might be too much difference in their tone, 77 is agathis, and 70 is maple bodied... and i tend to think maple would be better... still that's a lot of detail probably for nothing, so don't worry about that.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I own a Squier '77 Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, and the thing absolutely kills. It is the best feeling bass I own, and one of the best sounding. Its my go to for live playing, and for rehearsals. I may still upgrade the pickups at some point, but as is, its a fine instrument, highly recommended.
Definitely go for the Squier - thats one of the better basses for that price range.

In my experience, I'd steer clear of any Epiphone bass guitars.
[Insert something clever here]