Hey guys, looking at a standalone tuner as I have previously used my Korg AX3000G for tuning purposes. Now I have moved to single pedals. Tuner has to be true bypass and supports 7 string guitars. I have heard the Korg Pitchblack is excellent however there are two variants, the normal model and the "Plus" model which is significantl larger. For the Plus model it states:

"In addition to chromatic tuning and standard guitar/bass tuning, the pitchblack+ supports open D, open E, open G, open A, and DADGAD."

Can't any tuner tune to open D, E, G, A and any other tuning setup? Or are some tunings out of 'range' for some tuners? I do have a 7 string guitar so a tuner that will work with that will be important, also have a 5 string bass. What do you guys think? Will the normal Korg Pitchblack be enough?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
im assuming the + has presets to tell you for open g,a etc.

my freind tune his bass with a pitch black so it shoud be fine with lower tunings of a 7 string

so it should be fine
I highly suggest you go to this site: guitarfetish.com

And take a look at their GFT-90 floor tuner. Amazing pedal for 45 dollars.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by bogg808
Best is the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, It can tune my 8 string, and you can set presets or use chromatic mode.

seems good, the GFT-90 is .01 cent accurate though
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Just get a good chromatic tuner or strobe tuner. The ones with tuning presets aren't that accurate IMHO. Try the Korg CA-30 for a handheld tuner or the BOSS TU-2 pedal tuner.

For rackmount stuff, I think the Korg DTR-1000 is the way to go.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by supersac
im assuming the + has presets to tell you for open g,a etc.

my freind tune his bass with a pitch black so it shoud be fine with lower tunings of a 7 string

so it should be fine

So I'm guessing the normal Pitchblack can still tune to other tunings but I'll just have to memorize the notes to the tuning(EADGBE for example) whereas a preset will tell me the notes?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by stonyman65
Just get a good chromatic tuner or strobe tuner. The ones with tuning presets aren't that accurate IMHO. Try the Korg CA-30 for a handheld tuner or the BOSS TU-2 pedal tuner.

For rackmount stuff, I think the Korg DTR-1000 is the way to go.

There is no reason to ever suggest the tu-2
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by bogg808
The GFS is 0.1% accuracy mate,

Sonic Research is 0.02 % accuracy

SR is better hands down in all departments

Hmmmm interesting.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by bogg808
The GFS is 0.1% accuracy mate,

Sonic Research is 0.02 % accuracy

SR is better hands down in all departments

Everywhere I have read about the pedal says +/- 1cent

1 cent should = 0.01%

whereas 10 cent should = 0.1%

So, the GFS should be 0.01% if I am not mistaken
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by bogg808
right i got confused again.

1 cent for the GFS

0.02 cent for the SR

Ah.

Still, the SR is more than 4 times the price.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
50* more accurate, locks onto notes better, can fully support the really low pitches (eg 8 string)

Edit: $45 vs $129 doesn't look like 4* the price to me
Last edited by bogg808 at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by bogg808
50* more accurate, locks onto notes better, can fully support the really low pitches (eg 8 string)

Edit: $45 vs $129 doesn't look like 4* the price to me

My math was off.

And I only saw the SR at 139.99 shipping not added in.

either way, if you are broke/have less than 129, the GFS is really the only pedal I would suggest.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Heyo.

I've owned both the GFS and the TT.

The GFS is alright. It's a solid tuner with a bright display, and yes, accurate to 1 cent. Not bad for 45 bucks. That said, it does get confused sometimes.

The Turbo Tuner is without a doubt the coolest tuner I've ever used, as well as the best in pedal format that I'm aware of. 0.02 cents accuracy is phenomenal, and it tracks instantly, never gets confused, and you can even program in custom tunings.

Unless you are very strapped for cash, I don't see any reason not to get the TT.

Quote by Guitarbaddie

And I only saw the SR at 139.99 shipping not added in.

$129 w/free priority shipping straight from Sonic Research
Last edited by denied at Nov 16, 2011,