i know that is kind of an odd base to go but here is my scenario.

i have all my gear upstairs in my studio and an extra room, but for a little while during the day i have to be downstairs for a while and i want to get an amp for the living room.

the wifey doesn't really doesn't want an amp downstairs because it doesn't look pretty and won't match our oak furniture.

i want something that is flexible, most likely low wattage, for blues and blues rock and maybe push it with a tubescreamer or something.

i have thought about if for a while and here is what i am thinking:

a. buy an amp and remove chassis pull out the speaker and keep/sell do what ever with that cabinet, and build a cabinet of void free oak or oak veneer over a sheet of void free birch i have that i am using to build some other cabinets, and stain it to match our furniture.

i think that will fly.

so amp recommendations. really want to not go over $400-500,

absolutely nothing bigger than a 1x12" a 1x10" may be okay.
all tube
single channel is really all i need
will never gig with, will most likely not play with other musicians.

it is basically something that looks nice for her and sounds good to me.

i may just build another amp, but i am not sure if i want to build this one (really wanting to clone a JCM800).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 16, 2011,
bugera V5 its tiny 5 watts(switchable to less) i think it looks great
and its only about 150 bucks

altohught i you building an amp i competely recomend that too its loads of fun
Stretch the budget a bit and get yourself one of my cookie tin amps. That's exactly what they are designed to be, an amp you can put on display in your loungeroom. Add a bit of cyber punk to your life.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Orange Tiny Terror? Low price, low wattage, and the chassis is very easy to modify.
Vox AC4TV?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by supersac
bugera V5 its tiny 5 watts(switchable to less) i think it looks great
and its only about 150 bucks

altohught i you building an amp i competely recomend that too its loads of fun

i am not really into bugera, looking for a little bit more middle price range that that.

i have built an 18W and am still chasing a short around in a JTM45, the JTM45 has frusterated me quite a bit so i have took a two week break from it. damn i hate chasing around shorts. also the latter is a Weber kit and would never use anything from Weber again except their speakers, i had an extremely long wait, i was missing some pieces, they even managed to send the wrong face plate and two of the same transformers (two OT's, no PT).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Well, as you know, mine is an 18W'er. The next one will be a black one too but with silver instead of gold/brass hardware. You know you want it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Stretch the budget a bit and get yourself one of my cookie tin amps. That's exactly what they are designed to be, an amp you can put on display in your loungeroom. Add a bit of cyber punk to your life.

i built one back in March Cath. i am going to be doing some mods to it in the near future.

Picklelerner: already have a Dual Terror

Denied: i was thinking of building one of those a while back, great sounding amp. AC4 would be a potential, the Special 6 would be really nice for modding since they are on turret board instead of PCB's. that would be fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
Well, as you know, mine is an 18W'er. The next one will be a black one too but with silver instead of gold/brass hardware. You know you want it.

lol. off of curiosity, have you done one with the PPIMV yet?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not really into bugera, looking for a little bit more middle price range that that.

i have built an 18W and am still chasing a short around in a JTM45, the JTM45 has frusterated me quite a bit so i have took a two week break from it. damn i hate chasing around shorts. also the latter is a Weber kit and would never use anything from Weber again except their speakers, i had an extremely long wait, i was missing some pieces, they even managed to send the wrong face plate and two of the same transformers (two OT's, no PT).

an ac4?

and yeah thats annoying
when you said built i kinda assumed from scratch as in not from a kit...doesnt mean its any less fun though
Quote by supersac
an ac4?

and yeah thats annoying
when you said built i kinda assumed from scratch as in not from a kit...doesnt mean its any less fun though

kit was just a few bags of parts and the chassis. i didn't have the time to source them out at the time individually, it was all kind of in a rush to get it, a bunch of stuff was going on. next one i will source though. i think i would be happier and it would be more rewarding.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
lol. off of curiosity, have you done one with the PPIMV yet?

Nah. Just kept them faithful to the original. I'm a bit loath to screw with something that sounds so good as it is. I stuck a tubescreamer in front of one and had a friend who is a Gary Moore fan say, "holy crap that sounds like Gary Moore."
Not too keen on screwing with perfection.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Nah. Just kept them faithful to the original. I'm a bit loath to screw with something that sounds so good as it is. I stuck a tubescreamer in front of one and had a friend who is a Gary Moore fan say, "holy crap that sounds like Gary Moore."
Not too keen on screwing with perfection.

yea i know what you mean. when i get to working on the 18w again, i am going the make the PPIMV switchable, and maybe even add the TMB and make it switchable to the single tone knob or having the flexibility of the TMB.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The problem with TMB's is to do it properly you have to add an extra valve and it starts to get further away from the purity of the 1974 circuit. I think half of what makes them so awesome is the raw simplicity of the circuit. No colourisation, just the pure sound of a single paralleled 12AX7. You could even lose the tone control and have a winner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Denied: i was thinking of building one of those a while back, great sounding amp. AC4 would be a potential, the Special 6 would be really nice for modding since they are on turret board instead of PCB's. that would be fun.

It really should be a vibro champ. A sliverface one would be well within your budget and pretty easy to rehouse and mod to BF specs. It'd sound far better than just about anything else you'd find in this price range.
You could build a 5E3 pretty cheap too. You can get those Classic Tone trannies from Chicago that I use for a 5E3. Should get you down to just over $300 in parts not including the chassis/cabinet. How much you spend on the chassis and housing is down to how much of it you do yourself.
http://triodeelectronics.com/5e3bundle.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 17, 2011,
I'll probably end up building a 5E3 into that cookie tin greg sent me. I was going to put an AC15 into it but I don't think I'll have room for the choke. A 5E3 would probably fit ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The problem with TMB's is to do it properly you have to add an extra valve and it starts to get further away from the purity of the 1974 circuit. I think half of what makes them so awesome is the raw simplicity of the circuit. No colourisation, just the pure sound of a single paralleled 12AX7. You could even lose the tone control and have a winner.

i do agree, but if i could switch it between the single tone to the TMB, the extra tube wouldn't even be in the circuit path i don't think(?) i definitely want to get the PPIMV switchable so it stays more true to its path.

you gotta admit the flexibility between the standard single volume v. the master volume, and having an EQ where you could switch between the single tone v. TMB could be pretty cool.

you all have me thinking...

i am thinking just building a 5E3 tweed. thats the best, fun to build and as always i gain experience and knowledge from building amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well I really recommend those Classic Tone trannies I linked you to. You aren't going to find better value for money no matter how hard you look. Quality US made trannies from an old transformer factory in Chicago at Chinese prices. Hard to beat that. It's always transformers that blow out the budget. Onetics or Mercury may be fractionally better but they are several times the price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well I really recommend those Classic Tone trannies I linked you to. You aren't going to find better value for money no matter how hard you look. Quality US made trannies from an old transformer factory in Chicago at Chinese prices. Hard to beat that. It's always transformers that blow out the budget. Onetics or Mercury may be fractionally better but they are several times the price.

what is your opinion of heyboer? they are used in all Splawn amps and i have heyboer's in the 18w. just curious.

i will definitely look up your link. thanks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
How about a Marshall Class 5 with a different headshell?

If your budget was higher I'd suggest a Red Iron Amps of some kind, since they're decked out in those sumptuous head shells...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

or a re-done Vypyr 60

boogie is puresex, i coudn't keep that downstairs, it deserves to be in the studio. lol.

dont think i will ever need one of those, you make them sound good though. i got most of the amp models covered anyways.

'68 bassman, if i do the build in this thread, a 5E3, so i got fender covered. i have a dual terror which orange may be on there. i have an 18w marshall, there may be one of them on there, a JTM45 once i get it running, and i can cover all of peavey's high gain amp models with the Splawn Pro-Mod or Splawn Nitro, or the Lee Jackson. and plus i dont really care for 6L6's that much. i am more into KT88's and 6550's and EL84's. it would be handy to bring it all with you though than probably a thousand pounds... lol. i got a lot of cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not comparing a Mark to a Vypyr

just sayin

but yeah, get one of these guys to build you an amp - you're in pretty good hands here.

i will build it. its a stupidly simple amp, and i have one down that i have been playing since march i built and the JTM45 which i have to fin
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is your opinion of heyboer? they are used in all Splawn amps and i have heyboer's in the 18w. just curious.

i will definitely look up your link. thanks.

I haven't actually used a Heyboer. I can't imagine them being anything but awesome if they are in Splawns but I can't say I've played with them.
They are probably marginally better than the Classic Tones but if you want to cut down your costs without sacrificing tone the Classic Tones are certainly worth a run. Amazing value considering where they are made.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Might not be what you're looking for, but check into something like the Marshall Class 5. It meets your size and use requirements and you can find them new for under $400. Plus it has a cool vintage look to it so maybe it wouldn't look too bad in the room.

I haven't played one personally but the sound clips I've heard are great. Throw a boost in front and you'd be good to go.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Come on guys......

The VOX Night Train..... all that sparkly chrome looks very very cool. You could pretend it's a toaster too.
Quote by AshersUK
Come on guys......

The VOX Night Train..... all that sparkly chrome looks very very cool. You could pretend it's a toaster too.

LOL... if it were my house I'm not sure my wife would fall for the "but it looks like a kitchen appliance" reasoning. Somehow that seems less appropriate in the living room than something that looks like a regular amp
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2