im hopping over from the guitar forum due to my interest in drums and my urge to start playing. im assembling a dream kit in my head but i cant get my mind around what every step up in the x000 series of dw double bass pedals could consist of.

whats the industry standard? and what are the main differences between from like the 2000 series to the 9000 series?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Tch, it seems Drum Workshop took down their pedal comparison chart for some reason.

Anyway, there isn't an industry standard per se, because pedals are a hugely personal thing like a lot of other things to do with drums. But you will see a lot of pro's use pedals such as the Tama Iron Cobras, Pearl Eliminators (Though I haven't seen that many), DW5000 and DW9000 as well direct drive pedals like the Pearl Demon Drive (Personal favourite) Trick pedals and Axis pedals.

Differences between high end and lower end is most likely in the build quality and features, simply looking at a DW 2000 then a 9000 and you can see how vastly different they are.

Here's the DW9000

And here's the 2000

That's just an example, but I always suggest doing some research, going to their websites and looking at their products.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
so these higher end pedals (talking about the dw line specifically) dont make it easier to play or smoother action or whatnot?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
so these higher end pedals (talking about the dw line specifically) dont make it easier to play or smoother action or whatnot?

Sure they do.

A DW 5000 is noticably smoother and more solid, construction wise, than the 2000, 7000, etc. The 9000 is smoother, but some feel that it's too smooth for a chain drive pedal. Higher end pedals also have more adjustments to make each pedal feel as close to eachother as possible, which is a HUGE deal IMO.

Once you get past ~$350 for a pair of double pedals, it's really up to you as to which one feels better. All the double pedals past that price point are pretty solid, so it's all about feel. Direct Drive like the Pearl Demon Drive, Axis Longboard, Trick Detonator, Tama Speed Cobra, etc. are are lot more fluid feeling and don't really work against you, since the movement is more natural for your feet. Chain Drive/Belt Drive like the DW5000/9000, Tama Iron Cobra, Pearl Eliminator, etc. are going to have a bit more resistance to them, which is NOT necessarily a bad thing, usually chain driven pedals force you to use more force with your feet, so your hits come out a bit more consistent.

Some people play best on chain drives, some people play best on direct drives. I use Axis Longboards and I couldn't be more happy, the difference in feel between chain and direct for me was like night and day, the pedal feels more like an extension of my foot than a pedal, because of how smoothly it moves. You also have to take into consideration the size of the pedal - I was going to buy Demon Drives before because they're ridiculously smooth and I liked them better than Axis, but the pedals, even in long board configuration, are significantly smaller than Axis Longboards, and makes playing heel-down for players with larger feet harder, as well making the heel-toe method much more constrained. Usually, direct drives are noted for being "faster," but "less powerful" (which is why many metal bands who use them live end up using triggers on their kick drum to have a more consistent sound), which is not to say that chain drives can't be just as fast, and direct drives can't be just as powerful, it's up to the user to learn to use their pedals to their advantage.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com