Well, i'm new at UG, it's nice to be here,
But need some recommends for a second guitar.

Currently i play on a cheap ass Cort, which i bought 5 years ago, didn't really care all these years about techniques, solos, etc.
Since i learnt how to play by myself, and played only what i like, mainly HC punk, Punkrock, Fastcore/Powerviolence, Grindcore and Post-rock!, if summing up, all the hardcore punk infulenced types of music.

But it's time to switch guitars since the Cort got ruined and it sounds like shit.

now i'm intrested in the SG series (Gibson/Epi) sound, doesn't have to be super comfort, since i play almost exclusively simple music, but yet the clean sound has to be soft and mellow.
Yet doesn't have much to spend since the guitars price in my place is 2 or 3 times more expensive than in the U.S, or anywhere else for that matter
So im guessing the price range will be about 600-900 USD.

But if you think some other guitar will fit, i'll be more than glad hear!

Thanks, Zack.
I do believe the Ibanez Darkstone would be an almost perfect fit for you, IF you like the way it looks.
It looks great, feels great plays great and SOUNDS awesome.
YOu should give it a try.
Looks really cool but i think it's too much metal, i'm afraid it won't be able to provide the more 80s-90s Hardcore/fastcore sound, but i'll consider it and try it if'll find one!
Thanks.

Any other options?
epi G-400 with pickup upgrades. they aren't the most consistent guitars on earth (some suck, some are pretty solid), but if you take the time to find a good one, they can be excellent guitars. my brother plays in a hardcore band using one loaded with a gibson Iommi bridge pickup and a SD '59 neck pickup, and it sounds pretty good.

you could also find a used gibson in that price range pretty easily.

also, check out ESP/LTD. something like an LTD Viper 1000STBC would be very good for what you're playing (they tend to sound more aggressive than gibsons)
That fits my taste better, few questions:
1) Are the differences between the guitars so noticable, i mean between all the G-400s?
2)the G-400 is pretty cheap, cheaper than my current guitar, will it be able to maintain itself for a long period of time? since it's made out of cheaper materials, my cheap Cort was drop dead after 5 years.
3) Second hand Gibson (Std/Special), will be better than upgraded Epiphone?

Thanks!
Regarding question, 3)

The main differences you'll see are in the base wood (and how it's cured) and the hardware. So getting a second hand Gibby would probably do you much better over the long haul -- especially if you're regularly gigging.

Having better quality items like tuners, bridge, pots, jacks, pickups, nut, etc. will save you a lot of hassle and in several years you'll still have a solid guitar...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Thanks Richard,
So I think i'm a bit off the idea of upgrading an Epiphone.
So now the Gibson is back on the line,
Is there any other model/brand i should check, cuz sometimes its seem that it's better to go with the higher levels of guitar of "cheaper" brands, than a mid/low price one on a well known brand, is that right?
Get a good Strat! For 900$ you should be able to find a nice used one! But if you want quality guaranteed you should get a US made one! I own a 1984 Deluxe US Strat and i play lots of punk on it! It really has that raw kind of "primitive" sound which is awesome for punk! Get a nice distortion and you're well covered!

And versatile as it is it will perform in any other genre also!

Just don't get a Telecaster for punk.. Not that it can't be done, but i sure don't prefer mine when playing any kinds of punk / metal..
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
For 900 I'd definitely consider an LTD Viper Deluxe.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Actually i had some thoughts about getting a strat, but which one?
i'm playing for 5 years now but never really cared much about guitars.

And i'm guessing the Viper is pretty much a hit, i hope the local store has it.
Quote by netkilleril
Thanks Richard,
So I think i'm a bit off the idea of upgrading an Epiphone.
So now the Gibson is back on the line,
Is there any other model/brand i should check, cuz sometimes its seem that it's better to go with the higher levels of guitar of "cheaper" brands, than a mid/low price one on a well known brand, is that right?

Are you set on Gibson? I don't particularly think of them for punk, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

If you're not set on a brand you could go a bunch of different ways. But the first I think of is a Strat. You can get brand spankin' new American Strats for about a grand (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-104818810-i1385896.gc), which means you can find them for less on the used market. Something like the one I just posted could do good by you if you like the neck shape, etc. It's an HSS so would give you lots of tonal opportunities...

Oh, and not sure if you know anyone in a location where guitars are a bit more reasonably priced or not. But if you are, have someone pick one up for you and ship it to you. Might save a ton of dough that way.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by richardlpalmer
Are you set on Gibson? I don't particularly think of them for punk, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

If you're not set on a brand you could go a bunch of different ways. But the first I think of is a Strat. You can get brand spankin' new American Strats for about a grand (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-104818810-i1385896.gc), which means you can find them for less on the used market. Something like the one I just posted could do good by you if you like the neck shape, etc. It's an HSS so would give you lots of tonal opportunities...

Oh, and not sure if you know anyone in a location where guitars are a bit more reasonably priced or not. But if you are, have someone pick one up for you and ship it to you. Might save a ton of dough that way.

Wow, thanks you really helped me.
I'll try to find some good Strat, and try it out.
What HSS stands for?
Quote by netkilleril
Wow, thanks you really helped me.
I'll try to find some good Strat, and try it out.
What HSS stands for?
That's the designation for the pickups

HSS = Humbucker Single Single

Your typical Strat is 'SSS'

SSS = Single Single Single

So having the humbucker at the bridge allows you to play much harder stuff than an SSS Strat can really do out of the box. I'm not sure if the guitar I posted the link for has a coil tap (allows you to split the humbucker into a single) but that's another cool option to look for. Both of my PRS have two humbuckers, but also a coil tap so I can get closer to that Strat sound quality than without it.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 18, 2011,
Quote by richardlpalmer
That's the designation for the pickups

HSS = Humbucker Single Single

Your typical Strat is 'SSS'

SSS = Single Single Single

So having the humbucker at the bridge allows you to play much harder stuff than an SSS Strat can really do out of the box. I'm not sure if the guitar I posted the link for has a coil tap (allows you to split the humbucker into a single) but that's another cool option to look for. Both of my PRS have two humbuckers, but also a coil tap so I can get closer to that Strat sound quality than without it.

Thanks man!
since a good store is far away from my place abd i cant get there whenever i want it would be better if i try a bunch of guitars, what other should check? Besides the strat, sg and the viper?
Quote by netkilleril
Thanks man!
since a good store is far away from my place abd i cant get there whenever i want it would be better if i try a bunch of guitars, what other should check? Besides the strat, sg and the viper?

You're welcome!

Depends on what they have. I'd try all sorts of things. And honestly, the sales people aren't going to be douche-tastic if you're already looking to buy something. Let them know what type of music you want a guitar for and let them know what you're leaning towards and why (SG/HSS Strat/etc.) and see if they'll help you out.

You have no more to risk with a salesperson than with a bunch of random forum members giving advice.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
You're welcome!

Depends on what they have. I'd try all sorts of things. And honestly, the sales people aren't going to be douche-tastic if you're already looking to buy something. Let them know what type of music you want a guitar for and let them know what you're leaning towards and why (SG/HSS Strat/etc.) and see if they'll help you out.

You have no more to risk with a salesperson than with a bunch of random forum members giving advice.

Last week i went t try some guitar, the salesman was super douche about me trying some guitars ( only tried 3 actually).

But i think that's it, you've been really helpful Richard, thanks!
Quote by netkilleril
Last week i went t try some guitar, the salesman was super douche about me trying some guitars ( only tried 3 actually).

But i think that's it, you've been really helpful Richard, thanks!

Awww, that's too bad. I think there's often a difference (at least where I live) between having the salesperson help you and just asking for different guitars to try. But regardless, I'm glad to help and wish you luck in your search.

Be sure to post up a NGD thread once you get something!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Awww, that's too bad. I think there's often a difference (at least where I live) between having the salesperson help you and just asking for different guitars to try. But regardless, I'm glad to help and wish you luck in your search.

Be sure to post up a NGD thread once you get something!

I will, thanks alot!