My Les Paul's upper strap button has been coming loose every time I play. At first I just took a screwdriver and tightened it down and it seemed to work, but after about an hour of playing with a strap, it came loose, almost completely off. Before I try the "toothpick and glue" solution, I was also considering getting strap locks installed. I know that this will only solve the problem if the lock screw is larger than the current screw. Is this the case with most locks or should I just go ahead and use a toothpick and some glue? Thanks!
I Had this with my gretsch (lower strap button though) and actually fixed it by only putting a match in the hole and tightening the screw.
works fine now.
So: No glue needed
Yeah you can try just the toothpick if you are against using glue.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by silverheart
. I know that this will only solve the problem if the lock screw is larger than the current screw. Is this the case with most locks or should I just go ahead and use a toothpick and some glue? Thanks!

I'd go ahead and use the toothpick.. the screw isn't that much larger than original, if any at all... and don't be afraid to use glue, just keep in mind "A little dab will do ya"
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Why don't you just get a pair of strap locks? For $10 - $15 it's a pretty good investment; especially since LP's are heavy. Chances are the screw will be bigger/longer and you won't have to do the glue/tp fix. However, if they aren't, then you are just in the same place you are now with the added protection of strap locks.
Yeah I think I'm gonna get some Dunlop Dual locks. From what I've seen, the screw is slightly larger and longer than standard factory screws, but I don't know for sure. After coming dangerously close to having the screw fall out last time, I'm willing to make that investment. Really don't want a broken neck.
Quote by silverheart
Yeah I think I'm gonna get some Dunlop Dual locks. From what I've seen, the screw is slightly larger and longer than standard factory screws, but I don't know for sure. After coming dangerously close to having the screw fall out last time, I'm willing to make that investment. Really don't want a broken neck.

What are overall opinions on the Dunlops? I have the older ones on mine and they are fine but the Dual locks have always been problematic for me. I like the way the Schaller locks work better now that I've used both.
I hate the schaller locks. The nut on them always comes loose. The Dunlop locks that have the push button and use the C clip are my preferred locks. However I'd suggest you save your money and use the rubber gasket from a bottle of Grolsch. Cheaper, easier, and more fun to acquire.
There is no harm in using glue and a toothpick. If I were you I'd still do it with or without the strap locks.
Quote by inkandlead
I hate the schaller locks. The nut on them always comes loose. The Dunlop locks that have the push button and use the C clip are my preferred locks. However I'd suggest you save your money and use the rubber gasket from a bottle of Grolsch. Cheaper, easier, and more fun to acquire.
There is no harm in using glue and a toothpick. If I were you I'd still do it with or without the strap locks.

I agree that the c-clip seems more secure, though I've never had the Schaller nut come loose on any of the ones I have. On the Dunlops though I've periodically have problems with the peg popping out the post, even though it's been in there tight for a few hours of playing. At least the Schaller has a metal cup that will hold the guitar even if the lock button should fail. Maybe it's just my bad luck with the Dunlops.
Quote by poppameth
I agree that the c-clip seems more secure, though I've never had the Schaller nut come loose on any of the ones I have. On the Dunlops though I've periodically have problems with the peg popping out the post, even though it's been in there tight for a few hours of playing. At least the Schaller has a metal cup that will hold the guitar even if the lock button should fail. Maybe it's just my bad luck with the Dunlops.

Strange that we've had such different luck. Initially I liked that the Schallers had the cup but when that nut would come off the strap just slipped right off the threads.
See, this settles it. Grolsch strap locks are the way to go! Haha.
Quote by poppameth
What are overall opinions on the Dunlops? I have the older ones on mine and they are fine but the Dual locks have always been problematic for me. I like the way the Schaller locks work better now that I've used both.

I've used the dunlops for 30+ years on all kinds of guitars and they've never failed... I don't however have any experience with the others....

Got used to the Dunnies and stuck with em... If I buy a new guitar, I try to get the sales guy to "Throw em in" with the purchase... sometimes it works.. sometimes not...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I don't know about Grolsch rings as strap locks, but I'm certainly willing to drink the Grolsch to find out!!