What's up, buttholes? No, I don't want to hear your answer for that. Speaking of things people don't want to know, skip to the makeshift boldface bullet points if you don't like reading but still somehow like the internet. Remember: TL; DR is Cyrillic for "I'm a lazy, illiterate retard with a keyboard."

I've mostly dedicated myself to picking up a Fender American Standard Television within a week or two. Good for me and a happy NGD with bonus handjobs for the holidays (US only, Black Friday special).

In my current situation, I won't be able to do anything physical with the guitar until April showers bring May flowers. Mainly, I'll be unable to touch the guitar's lady parts given the few thousand miles' distance. I'm overseas to teach children that "*****s" and "horse" are pronounced differently. However, I do have a trusted friend who does sound engineering as a side job who can check out the guitar in my stead. He'll be able to catch any obvious defects and do minor tinkering, and after a decade of playing together, we've mirrored each other regarding the feels of guitars. He's my surrogate. That mostly rules out concerns I have about returning stateside to find the guitar is utter muff cabbage and being ineligible to get a refund. Even if that were the case, American Teles retain their resale value, so I'd only get hosed as much as a drunken protester instead of a mosquito on aluminum siding facing a power washer. Heck, he could return it for me if, for example, the guitar came with a red and yellow Masonic symbol finish instead of my preferred inverted cross made of pope hats. That'd be covered. Hooray.

I am curious to hear if there are any known issues or valid reasons to upgrade Amtels and the after-market effects should my crack-and-diamond habit grow out of hand. Yeah, it's a higher end guitar, but it's surely not perfect. It could probably use medium titanium frets or whatever. I'm talking about errors not befitting the initial cost of the instrument. This would be something I plan to keep and give to my nephew if he proves himself worthy in another 20 years.

Vital info:
- Set to buy a new American Tele.
- Will not be there to test it until spring, but willing to trust brand name based on experience.
- Trusted friend will test it for me; he and I have had markedly similar opinions on guitars we'd played/owned over the past decade, rendering him as my trusted surrogate.
- Wondering if there are any general faults/rooms for improvement for this guitar, particularly for recent (2008 and newer) models.

About me:
- Have played guitar for a little over a decade.
- Self-ranked as upper intermediate as I mostly construct songs solo with full-band applications as a second thought.
- Main genres: alt/indie, folk, and rock. For example, that ranges from Bob Dylan to Brand New, from Jeff Buckley to The Replacements, Elliott Smith to Ween, and Leonard Cohen to Glassjaw. Nobuo Uematsu to Yatsunori Mitsuda?
- Record semi-regularly at home and with a band set-up.
- Gig mostly with an acoustic set-up.

About my gear:
- '69 Tele reissue fitted with Fender Noiseless pickups and a 50's Strat neck
- '01 Epi LP Custom with a Custom 5 in the bridge & a '59 in the neck
- '04 Martin DCXE
- Fender Blues Jr. (with a Vox AC15/30 in the near future)
- Pedals aplenty
- Chocobo, Mog, and Magus
I am a fake mountain.
I bought a Tele back in 2008 and it took a lot of trial and error. It seemed like every one felt a bit different. Originally I had my eye on an American reissue, but I ultimately went with an American Deluxe. I wouldn't say there are any "flaws," per se, with any of the American-made Teles, just a lot of feel and tone variance. I know this might not be what you want to hear, but you also might want to check out a "real Fender" -- G&L.

BTW, in your case, TL;DR would have been appropriate since a lot of your post was meandering. Just sayin'.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
BTW, in your case, TL;DR would have been appropriate since a lot of your post was meandering. Just sayin'.

Absolutely this.

The last paragraph and then the lists would have been sufficient.
If you can't test it till spring, then don't buy one until spring. That will give you plenty of time to learn how to not be a vulgar dickhole in between.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've never played a G&L. I've heard some good things about them, but I've never so much as seen one in real life. Fenders, on the other hand, I've played dozens of. You're talking about the ASAT, correct? Are they that much better in comparison, even at this price point? Or is it an apples versus oranges situation?

As for being a "vulgar dickhole" (really?) my apologies. I sometimes forget that this is the internet, and nobody cares about or knows me in real life. Humor isn't funny. Then again, I condensed everything to bullet points at the end. Draw?

In any case, perhaps I'll assuage my teenage-minded impetus for the time being. It's good to know nothing's likely to crap out on it. Thanks for the responses so far, folks.
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by JustRooster
If you can't test it till spring, then don't buy one until spring. That will give you plenty of time to learn how to not be a vulgar dickhole in between.

8/10 stars.

Would read again.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I bought a Tele back in 2008 and it took a lot of trial and error. It seemed like every one felt a bit different. Originally I had my eye on an American reissue, but I ultimately went with an American Deluxe. I wouldn't say there are any "flaws," per se, with any of the American-made Teles, just a lot of feel and tone variance. I know this might not be what you want to hear, but you also might want to check out a "real Fender" -- G&L.

B-b-b-ut ... that's the best part of the post