Basically my Dad and I are in the process of building a P bass. The body's almost finished but we've decided to buy a neck rather than make one. I've got my eyes on an absolutely stunning Pau Ferro neck with matching fretboard. The plans we're using include plans for a 20 fret neck and this particular neck has 21 frets, it's still a 34" scale neck though.
My question is will I encounter any problems using a 21 fret neck instead of the 20 fret neck on my plans or will it still be just as simple as routing the neck pocket and bolting it on?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
You need to make sure the scale length is correct. the number of frets doesn't matter as long as the distance from the bridge to the nut is correct.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
I know the scale is right, I'm not a total n00b. I've just never replaced a neck with one with a different amount of frets before. Dan? Jon? You've both done a few parts basses...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
if there's extra frets on the neck, you'll just need a longer neck pocket, if that's what you're asking?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
This really should be in GB&C, they'll have the best answers.

This answer was given assuming that there is no last fret overhang (i.e, the 22nd fret is flush with the end of the neck, and the fretboard doesn't "hang off").

Basically, (no pun intended!) the total length of the nut to the saddles must be 34 inches. Now, for arguments sake lets just say that your plans had a length of 20 inches from nut to end of neck, and 14 inches to the bridge. Adding on an extra fret will add a bit on to the neck, and push it further away from the bridge. Lets say it becomes 22 inches. (Before anyone comments, I am aware that my figures are horribly innacurate, I picked random numbers to make the maths easy.)
Therefore, if you use your current plans unaltered you will have a neck with a scale length of 34 inches, but a total length of 36 inches. You can alter this in two ways:
1) Enlarge the neck pocket. Make it two inches longer, thus the neck sits closer to the bridge.
2) Move the bridge 2 inches closer to the neck.

Assuming that you havent routed the pocket or drilled the bridge holes yet, either will be a viable option.

Please note - if your guitar has a LFO (I doubt it, but just in case.)
If you are unsure, these pics should make it clear:
LFO: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/images/vm22FretSide.jpg
No LFO: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/images/vm21FretSide.jpg

Hope this helps! .
Quote by gilly_90
if there's extra frets on the neck, you'll just need a longer neck pocket, if that's what you're asking?

This, if it has a longer heel to fit the 21st fret, you'll just have to take that into account when you measure out and route the neck pocket. Unless the fretboard overhangs then end of the neck (Warmoth, for example, does this so you can fit a 21 or 24 fret neck on a standard Fender without modification).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
'Tis a Warmoth neck so that's exactly what I wanted/needed to hear. Thanks Cam. Thanks everyone else for contributing too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
No prob.

Whats the color scheme to go with the pau ferro?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Oly White with a BWB Pickguard.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
He is. He's not too far away for me to hunt him down if he doesn't
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by anarkee
^That sounds dead sexy.

You are going to post up pictures when its done, right?

Yeah of course . We're still experimenting with body woods though, at the moment it's a one piece Stringybark body and it's looking like its going to be heavier thn two 70's Ps duct taped to a pallet of house bricks.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB