Hello guys, so I am just trying to learn the God that failed solo by Metallica, but there is one run on the middle of it that I can't seem to learn, although I can play the rest fine.

It's a descending run of pull offs(not sure if I call it right):

19 17 15\14 - 17 15 14\12 - 15 14 12\10 - 14 12 10\9 - 12 10 9\7 - 10 9 7

where you pull off three notes on E string and then slide on the last one.
I always seem to mess up(mostly when trying to transfer from third to fourth run of the above tab)and hit the wrong note.

Are there any suggestions for that kind of runs? I tried slow but still can't get it...
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
Last edited by zefs at Nov 17, 2011,
If you can't get it then do it slower. There is no such thing as too slow as long as you get it right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well thing is that speed seems to not be the issue here. For this run, you must switch to pinky on the fourth part where you pull of 14 12 10, and I think switching fingers is what confuses me and make me do the mistake...

Quote by zefs
Hello guys, so I am just trying to learn the God that failed solo by Metallica, but there is one run on the middle of it that I can't seem to learn, although I can play the rest fine.

It's a descending run of pull offs(not sure if I call it right):

19 17 15\14 - 17 15 14\12 - 15 14 12\10 - 14 12 10\9 - 12 10 9\7 - 10 9 7

where you pull off three notes on E string and then slide on the last one.
I always seem to mess up, and hit the wrong note.

Are there any suggestions for that kind of runs? I tried slow but still can't get it...

Which fingers do you use?

The highest note in each 4-note group should be played with the pinky.

Anywhere there is a spacing of two frets between each note, like in the 1st and 4th four note groups (highlighted) should be played with the 1st, 2nd and pinky. Not the 1st, 3rd and pinky.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by zefs
Well thing is that speed seems to not be the issue here. For this run, you must switch to pinky on the fourth part where you pull of 14 12 10, and I think switching fingers is what confuses me and make me do the mistake...

There you go then, dude. Don't just use the pinky for the 4th part, use it for every part which I mentioned above.
1. Can you play each part of the run separately? Try playing each part (or at least the parts you mess up) very slowly (I'm talking like 30bpm) and just focus really carefully on what your fingers are doing.
2. Once you can do each part cleanly, try to string them together, again very slowly and focusing on exactly what your left hand is doing.

It sounds like your problem is the initial finger placement for the 14-12-10\9 part, which looks the hardest of the 6. I'm guessing once your fingers are there you can play it just fine?

It could be that, because you know you'll mess up the 4th part, you're messing up the end of the 3rd part too, so just practice them very slowly until you're confident enough to speed up to a slightly less slow speed.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by mdc
Which fingers do you use?

The highest note in each 4-note group should be played with the pinky.

Anywhere there is a spacing of two frets between each note, like in the 1st and 4th four note groups (highlighted) should be played with the 1st, 2nd and pinky. Not the 1st, 3rd and pinky.

That's interesting I always thought it was 1st, 3rd and pinky (which is what I do). I'm guessing the reasoning for that would be that you usually play a whole step gap between your index and 3rd finger, not index and middle. Plus, my average stretch seems to be wider that way; my stretch between 3rd and 4th is greater than my stretch between my 1st and second (I think... either way I seem stretchier that way). What's the logic behind 1,2,4?
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 17, 2011,
Also, do you pick the first note in each 4-note group? It would be an excellent exercise to pick just the very first note of the run, which will require you to hammer with the pinky at the start of each part.

This will develop your accuracy in combining sliding and hammering.
Quote by llBlackenedll
What's the logic behind 1,2,4?

Talking in the context of Metal and Modern Rock, as opposed to Classic Rock.

10-12-13-12-10 would be 1,3,4 Classic Rock would be 1-2-3

10-12-14-12-10 would be 1-2-4

Say if you wanted to change the second one slightly to 10-13-14-13-10 or 10-12-13-15-13-12-10.

Your 3rd finger is already free. 1-2-4 just allows for wider stretches and freedom of movement.

It sounds like you have quite a large span, and Paul Gilbert actually uses the 1-3-4 combo a lot for 2 fret spacings, but who's gonna argue with him?

But I was taught by this guy and I'm not gonna argue with him either.
Quote by mdc
Talking in the context of Metal and Modern Rock, as opposed to Classic Rock.

10-12-13-12-10 would be 1,3,4 Classic Rock would be 1-2-3

10-12-14-12-10 would be 1-2-4

Say if you wanted to change the second one slightly to 10-13-14-13-10 or 10-12-13-15-13-12-10.

Your 3rd finger is already free. 1-2-4 just allows for wider stretches and freedom of movement.

It sounds like you have quite a large span, and Paul Gilbert actually uses the 1-3-4 combo a lot for 2 fret spacings, but who's gonna argue with him?

But I was taught by this guy and I'm not gonna argue with him either.

What an epic explanation.

That makes a lot of sense - especially for the 10-12-13-15 part - you're kinda screwed with the 1st 3rd pinky way of doing things. I actually started using 1st 2nd 4th for a (what I found) difficult stretch recently and it seems to be fine.

I'll give it a go with the 3 notes per string Mixolydian later as that is kinda the context I was talking in. It seems to be the hardest of the modal patterns with their root on the E string to play as 3 notes per string; it has 2 whole step gaps on the E, A and D strings, and while I can competently play it, I was having trouble playing the descending mixolydian pattern in the "Under a glass moon" solo at any decent speed (seem to hit a wall with that part at around 100bpm 16th trips).

Plus my alt picking just ain't there yet :P
Why don't you just change it so you play it over the second and third string?

Something like:

19-17-15----17-15--------15-----------
------------19--------17-15----19-17-15
That's what i would do.
Okay I practiced it with mdc's way, using the pinky for the first and forth part only and seems to work better now. Thanks guys.

Will proably cover this solo on youtube when I finally get it down

Quote by carlmagnus9

Something like:

That's what i would do.

That's the economical way to play it, sure, but it won't sound the same. I'm guessing zefs wants to recreate the solo as close to the original as possible.

Having said that the tab could be wrong, I haven't heard that solo for ages.
Quote by llBlackenedll
What an epic explanation.

That makes a lot of sense - especially for the 10-12-13-15 part - you're kinda screwed with the 1st 3rd pinky way of doing things. I actually started using 1st 2nd 4th for a (what I found) difficult stretch recently and it seems to be fine.

I'll give it a go with the 3 notes per string Mixolydian later as that is kinda the context I was talking in. It seems to be the hardest of the modes to do as 3 notes per string as it has 2 whole step gaps on the E, A and D strings, and while I can competently play it, I was having trouble playing the descending mixolydian pattern in the "Under a glass moon" solo at any decent speed (seem to hit a wall with that part at around 100bpm 16th trips).

Plus my alt picking just ain't there yet :P

What am I reading

Modes are diatonic, and all diatonic scales share the same pattern so I don't see how one would be more difficult than the other.

As for how to finger that lick, maybe it's just me, but if I play those patterns with 4 fingers it becomes really complicated for my left hand. I do use my pinky though so I don't have to do any awkward stretches.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by zefs

Then do it slow enough that you can actually think about it a repeat it until you don't have to. It really is that simple.

That said, you shouldn't be "switching to" the pinky during that run at all, it should be used throughout the lick for the first note of each group.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Flibo
What am I reading

Modes are diatonic, and all diatonic scales share the same pattern so I don't see how one would be more difficult than the other.

As for how to finger that lick, maybe it's just me, but if I play those patterns with 4 fingers it becomes really complicated for my left hand. I do use my pinky though so I don't have to do any awkward stretches.

Sorry, I didn't clearly say - I meant with the root note as the first note you play on the low E. So in C Mixolydian, if you wanted to start on the low E, the pattern would be 8-10-12 on the E, A and D strings.
Quote by zefs
Okay I practiced it using the pinky for the first and forth part only

You should use it for all 5 parts dude. Always use it for the highest note in each part.
Quote by carlmagnus9

Something like:

That's what i would do.

... and that, is badass. In fact I prefer it! When you continue on to the B and G strings there's sneaky little rolling motion for the 2nd finger to negotiate.
Quote by llBlackenedll
That's the economical way to play it, sure, but it won't sound the same. I'm guessing zefs wants to recreate the solo as close to the original as possible.

Yeah exactly, this needs to be on same string because it includes slides. I already tried playing it on the above strings.

Quote by mdc
You should use it for all 5 parts dude. Always use it for the highest note in each part.

Alright, but in this part

15 14 12\10

Which fingers should I use for this? 1 2 4 or 1 3 4.
1 3 4 is always straining for me atleast, but 1 2 4 is harder on this part :p

Last edited by zefs at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by zefs
Yeah exactly, this needs to be on same string because it includes slides. I already tried playing it on the above strings.

15 14 12\10

Which finger should I use for fret 14? 1 2 4 or 1 3 4.
1 3 4 is always straining for me atleast.

Surely 1st 3rd pinky for that bit as it fits within a 4 fret block.
Quote by mdc
... and that, is badass. In fact I prefer it! When you continue on to the B and G strings there's sneaky little rolling motion for the 2nd finger to negotiate.

No there isn't, at least not if you just follow the scale down

Quote by zefs

15 14 12\10

Which fingers should I use for this? 1 2 4 or 1 3 4.
1 3 4 is always straining for me atleast, but 1 2 4 is harder on this part :p

1, 3, 4. Using the second finger makes absolutely no sense.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No there isn't, at least not if you just follow the scale down

Woops, just listened to the song, probably tuned down a half step but playing what would be an E Dorian Scale, I was playing E Minor, so yes C sharp.