Hi guys.

So my picking has improved drastically since my last thread where I posted a series of videos of my picking over the course of a week. But a fresh problem has prevailed.

To really explain my problem to you I will have to show you this web article.

http://www.thewizardofshred.com/index/how-to-pick-with-precision-and-power

The most important part being:

1. Find the bone in your hand 2. Place it where the low e-string meets the bridge
3. Leave it there while picking the top two strings

This is great on the top two strings, but as I go lower than those strings it gets gradually more awkward, with the low E string being the worst.

I move the hand position as you should to mute the other strings. But as I do so the bone part, as described above, comes off of the point that is described above ( Place it where the low e-string meets the bridge).

So how do I make up for that?

I can make a video if its needed.
There is many ways to make up for it, by combining the angle of your arm, your wrist , the pick or the actual way you hold it.. post a video so we can give you specific advice :P
...too distracted by all those hot girls in lingerie.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
And this is why needing a fixed point on the guitar to pick is a bad idea.

Stop touching that part of the guitar and find a decent way of picking that doesn't involve needing that fixed point to function.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
And this is why needing a fixed point on the guitar to pick is a bad idea.

Stop touching that part of the guitar and find a decent way of picking that doesn't involve needing that fixed point to function.

Tbh it doesn't feel like a fix point. But I don't know. I'll make a video and you can see.

I think the issue is related to me suddenly not having any bridge under that part of my palm.
Quote by jkielq91
Tbh it doesn't feel like a fix point. But I don't know. I'll make a video and you can see.

I think the issue is related to me suddenly not having any bridge under that part of my palm.

That sounds like a point you need to have fixed or you can't pick. Fix it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've used this guide before and it's pretty good.

I think you should pay some attention to the last video on the page - note that he doesn't fix his wrist to one point but brings it up in a neat line. He doesn't rest his wrist on the bridge, he just lightly touches is probably more as a guide. When you get to the low E string you'll likely come off the bridge if you're using the same extreme angle as him (I wouldn't try to emulate the angle if I were you as I think he only gets that angle due to the height of the guitar).

I'd recommend slowly going from the high E to the low E, then stopping, seeing where your hand is, seeing where you were rather it was and trying to get it so that it arrives there. And then, practice just playing an open E in that position for a while to get you more attuned to the feel of the string.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
I've used this guide before and it's pretty good.

I think you should pay some attention to the last video on the page - note that he doesn't fix his wrist to one point but brings it up in a neat line. He doesn't rest his wrist on the bridge, he just lightly touches is probably more as a guide. When you get to the low E string you'll likely come off the bridge if you're using the same extreme angle as him (I wouldn't try to emulate the angle if I were you as I think he only gets that angle due to the height of the guitar).

I'd recommend slowly going from the high E to the low E, then stopping, seeing where your hand is, seeing where you were rather it was and trying to get it so that it arrives there. And then, practice just playing an open E in that position for a while to get you more attuned to the feel of the string.

Good advice. I have a video uploading (slowly) right now so maybe we can try spot if I am fixing to the point or not.
ok video.

Any construction feedack on my picking is welcome.

I usually try to keep my fingers more together than that. I was surprised to see them all spewed out like that. Thats thought I'd point that out.

Sorry if its a little dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rg3ouPSPQ4
Quote by jkielq91
ok video.

Any construction feedack on my picking is welcome.

I usually try to keep my fingers more together than that. I was surprised to see them all spewed out like that. Thats thought I'd point that out.

Sorry if its a little dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rg3ouPSPQ4

The main thing I noticed is that your picking motion is huge. It looks a little bit like you're tensing quite a bit when you're playing the low E as well but I can't tell... either way - I'd still recommend just spending a while picking open strings (I guess do it with all), but try a) staying relaxed and b) getting much smaller picking motions.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
The main thing I noticed is that your picking motion is huge. It looks a little bit like you're tensing quite a bit when you're playing the low E as well but I can't tell... either way - I'd still recommend just spending a while picking open strings (I guess do it with all), but try a) staying relaxed and b) getting much smaller picking motions.

After watching the video myself I was going to ask if my motion was to big, but you already answered, so thanks.

If you watch my very first picking video it is so different from now.
I'm going to more or less ignore your technique for now and tell you that you were out of time with the metronome for the first set of licks. You weren't consistently out of time, you kind of sped up and slowed down gradually. Fix that first.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm going to more or less ignore your technique for now and tell you that you were out of time with the metronome for the first set of licks. You weren't consistently out of time, you kind of sped up and slowed down gradually. Fix that first.

OK, thanks for pointing that out. Its important to know. =)
It seemed to me (especially in the last bit of the video with the low e) that you were kind of pulling the pick away from the string (outwards, away from the guitar) as opposed to simply picking up and down. Maybe try a different wrist angle? Also, does the joint in your index finger move while picking? Maybe that could be causing you to make large motions, maybe try a slightly different way to hold the pick? It also seemed to me that your picking motion was affected by your thumb. I once tried picking using thumb drive and it slowed me down as it was harder for me to up-pick due to some of the energy from the motion being used to readjust the thumb position. The way I hold my pick nowadays kind of restricts me from using thumb drive anyways.
Hope I helped, I'm no expert, these are my experiences. =D
Quote by lilke
It seemed to me (especially in the last bit of the video with the low e) that you were kind of pulling the pick away from the string (outwards, away from the guitar) as opposed to simply picking up and down. Maybe try a different wrist angle? Also, does the joint in your index finger move while picking? Maybe that could be causing you to make large motions, maybe try a slightly different way to hold the pick? It also seemed to me that your picking motion was affected by your thumb. I once tried picking using thumb drive and it slowed me down as it was harder for me to up-pick due to some of the energy from the motion being used to readjust the thumb position. The way I hold my pick nowadays kind of restricts me from using thumb drive anyways.
Hope I helped, I'm no expert, these are my experiences. =D

For for the input. You covered a lot of ideas for me to check out.