I am looking for a Guitar to get for Christmas. I have been a Bass player for years, but I would also like to learn the Guitar .

So with that being said, my favourite bands are Paramore, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Blink 182, All Time Low... that sort of thing.

95% of my songs that I have learnt on my Bass (which is over 100) are all Pop Punk from the last 10 years or so (or more if you include Green Day and Blink)

I like the look of Les Paul's, but I also like the look of Strat's.

I am looking for a Guitar that is preferably around £200 or less to start with. I do think of myself as a serious player (since I've been playing Bass for years, and will continue to do so for the rest of my life), so I'm not just going to get one and not use it, but I would like a cheapish one to start with.

What would you recommend? it really is pretty much intended for Pop Punk, with maybe some other stuff on the side at times (as it is with my Bass, such as RHCP, RATM and stuff).

But yeah, Pop Punk kinda Guitar that is pretty decent. Main bands being Paramore and Green Day. Whenever I write stuff (which will be easier), it will be in the style of these bands, and I would also like to sound good with an acoustic effect (I use a gearbox toneport).

My main concern (other than it sounding pretty sweet for my style) is it going out of tune.
This will start a RIOT! in me
Just to say, you won't get a great guitar new for that price, and even used it'll be a stretch. You might be able to get a used Squier Classic Vibe for that, or a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It's difficult with a budget that low, though, and is there any chance of increasing the budget?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by lfcagger at Nov 17, 2011,
Try to get a Squier Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge. If you like the feel of a Strat more than the feel of a Les Paul that would probably be your best bet, since you really only need the bridge pickup for music like that.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
try a fender telecaster affinity or a fender squier strat with a humbucker. the best begginers' guitars!
Quote by lfcagger
Just to say, you won't get a great guitar new for that price, and even used it'll be a stretch. You might be able to get a used Squier Classic Vibe for that, or a used Epiphone Les Paul Strat. It's difficult with a budget that low, though, and is there any chance of increasing the budget?

Epiphone les paul strat? da fawk
Thanks for the replies!

I understand that this guitar is pretty damn cheap, but I am just trying to get an idea, I think I will have one of the squire strats, but do you think this would be any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squire-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-Case-/300621823443?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45fe74fdd3

I think the string is missing, but not like that matters too much (besides having to buy new strings, but then again it is a LOT cheaper than I was going for)

Any good ?
This will start a RIOT! in me
How about an Epi LP jr. ?

Looks quite punk, I'd reckon, and very affordable
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Quote by Reisgar42
Try to get a Squier Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge. If you like the feel of a Strat more than the feel of a Les Paul that would probably be your best bet, since you really only need the bridge pickup for music like that.

+1
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by Reisgar42

HELLO KITTY STRAT

But on topic....
Possibly a used Fender HSS if you can raise your budget by like $50
If not as already suggested, a Strat with a hum bucker in
Maybe a Yamaha Pacifica?
Quote by yngwie ripoff
Epiphone les paul strat? da fawk

Shit, I meant Standard
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Given the music you listed, I would recommend an Epiphone Les Paul with either humbuckers or P-90 pickups (either will give you that pop-punk sound). There are a bunch of different models/configurations available in your price range.

Don't listen to people telling you that you won't get a good guitar for that price. You can get a perfectly acceptable beginner guitar for that amount. Will it compare to the higher-priced models? No, of course not. But it will definitely fit your needs as a beginner.

About it going out of tune... every guitar is different. But a good setup from a qualified tech will go a long way towards helping it stay in tune. Although if you play it the same way Billie Joe does (i.e. - slamming the crap out of the strings) then be prepared for constant tuning. A $200-$300 guitar won't handle that too well (in general).
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Nov 17, 2011,
Look into getting a Mayones Custom 8 String. They are super cheap and exactly what you are looking for. Or maybe a black machine. lol

nah. go with the LP
I'd agree with the Telecaster recommendation. I bought a cheap Squire Tele for about $350 CAN when I was first starting out and I'm not to sure if it's just a mental thing, but I still LOVE that guitar. Yes, it a piece and it doesn't get the best sound, but I adore the way it plays in my hands.

I'd still play it over my LTD-EX if I was auditioning/playing live and knew I needed comfort and good playability.

Could always look to pickup a used (set) humbucker for relatively cheap and completely change the sound of whatever guitar you buy.

My Tele, just feels right and I wouldn't want to have started off with anything else. Plus they can be surprisingly versatile depending on what sepcifics they have going for them.
Last edited by Minivirus2 at Nov 17, 2011,