A few days ago i noticed that my high E string was downtuning a lot by itself when i put it in my guitar bag to go to practice (it would go from an E to a C# while the others would stay in tune) I thought not of it until later on in the day when i broke it.

The string broke at the bridge end so i assumed that it was just a bad string. However, ive put new strings on today and my high E won't stay in tune at all. I stretched it properley and everythig but its going out of tune drastically each time ive bent it.

20 minutes ago. I bent by B string up a tone and it suddenly went out of tune massively and i heard something slip. This string has been on my guitar for about 6 weeks and hasn't gave me any problems until now.

If anyone knows or has a hunch at what this could be. Please spare a minute to help me.
What kind of guitar and what tuners are on it?

Sounds to me like your tuners are slipping. The bridge might be a factor, but if it's that dramatic I'm thinking tuners.

Was playing an old MIJ Strat recently and on any aggressive bend you could hear the string slip and de-tune.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by mrbabo91
Its an Epiphone les paul standard and it has grover tuners

Okay, are they locking tuners? If so, are you using them correctly? I'm not being critical, just trying to understand where you're at.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Papabear505
How many winds to you have on your tuning posts?

That's kind of where I'm heading with this -- that and how he has the string tied...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I have similar trouble with the G-string and B-string on my epiphone, I've tightened the screws as much as possible and they still slip during bends. I'm inclined to think it's the tuners as well (the g-string tuner seems to feel loose, even though I can't tighten the screw any further)
Don't think the are locking tuners. I don't have many windings around the pegs, although i havent for months and yet its gave me no problems. It sounds like the breaking and slipping is coming from the bridge end anyway.

You could be right about the windings though
Isn't this just a tune-o-matic bridge? I'm trying to figure out what could be slipping while you play on a bridge. More likely is that the tuning peg is slipping, but you don't hear any friction on the nut -- but you will hear friction on the bridge because of metal on metal.

Tuners are one of those things that can use replacing on some guitars. They're one of the things that separate a MIM Strat from a USA Strat, an Epi from a Gibby, etc...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Isn't this just a tune-o-matic bridge? I'm trying to figure out what could be slipping while you play on a bridge. More likely is that the tuning peg is slipping, but you don't hear any friction on the nut -- but you will hear friction on the bridge because of metal on metal.

Tuners are one of those things that can use replacing on some guitars. They're one of the things that separate a MIM Strat from a USA Strat, an Epi from a Gibby, etc...

Don't Epi les paul and gibson les pauls both have grover tuners ?

I think ive fixed the problem anyway. I re-strung the guitar and made sure i got a good amount of windings around the peg. Fine so far

Thanks
Quote by mrbabo91
Don't Epi les paul and gibson les pauls both have grover tuners ?

I think ive fixed the problem anyway. I re-strung the guitar and made sure i got a good amount of windings around the peg. Fine so far

Thanks

On the wound strings, I try to get 3 winds per string.. more if I can on the D string.. On the plain strings, I wind 'em up as many as I can get on there so I don't get any slipping
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Interesting.

I've found that "less is more" in the windage department -- my guess on the slippage was that you had a ton of windings and that was the cause of the trouble...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native