Sup UG, I've got a dilemma.

Should I invest in guitar pedals or in one effects processor?

Currently I own 3 effect pedals, but I need a lot more than that. I'm in love in BOSS pedals, so I think I'm going stick to this brand. However, I don't know if buying many pedals is a good idea. What I don't like about it: supplying power to each one of them, dancing around the pedalboard to switch between them, and the pedalboard being heavy as f*ck. The cool thing is that I can clearly recognize pedals and turn the knobs between songs when I need different types of chorus/delay, etc.

Should I go for one, big, effect processor? My friend owns a Line 6 POD XT and it kinda sucks... I don't really know how it works. That's why I'm asking here. I can see that the POD has buttons from A to D. Does it mean I can only set up 4 effects? Or 4 channels? Can I mix a few effects, let's say chorus+delay+tremolo, but turn off the tremolo halfway through the song? With regular pedals, I can turn on and off any pedal I want at any time. Is this possible with an effects processor? Or can I use only the earlier programmed channels?
Check out the Boss ME series pedals. They're a multi fx unit which works as separate pedals within a single unit. They can also use patches like most other fx units, but they're designed to act as separates so you'd be fine doing what you want them to.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you really like Boss pedals, go for a Boss multi-fx. However, I would stick with individual pedals so that you don't have to replace your entire unit if you get tired of the sounds later on, just the individual piece of the unit (eg: an overdrive or delay pedal instead of the fx unit).
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^ I have a Boss Me-70 :P
...it's the only think I have to flaunt

Chances are for individual pedals, you will get better quality since that pedal has been made for THAT purpose. Okay, huge generalization - granted you stay away from guys like Behringer and what not - but this can be true. But buying lots of pedals takes time and - of thus - money.

That's why multi-fx units are nice I recon. They're a great bang for your buck - granted you get a nice one - and are nice compact "instant-sound units". But, not all of the effects on there are going to be out-right fabulous, you know what I mean.
You could always get a nice multi-fx now and then over the next few years slowly build up a little pedal-board collection.

Pros and cons, man. Check out your situation and do what you think is best.
I think you need to work more on your POD, the XT/X3 series is a pretty good sounding pedal if a little stiff in the low gain department.

That, and I think you desperately need to read the manual. The POD can do everything you mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKdzTdQ45k&feature=related

http://line6.com/support/manuals/?families=1&submit=Submit&1st=1st

EDIT: I see you dont own one.

Well, MFX units can sound good. But you need to tweak. A lot.

Check out the band Periphery, all their stuff is recorded with an Axe Fx, one of the more expensive MFX units.

The XT is two generations old now. Far behind what you now get.

First things first.

Are you a tweaker, who is constantly changing his sound? If so, an MFX is right up your alley. If you however like just a basic central one which you dont fuss around with, a simple one or two channel tube amp would be better.

Go to the DSP thread, all you need to know is given in the OP. Link is in my sig.

As for BOSS pedals, the ME and GT series are excellent if you already have an amp and you only want it for effects. The GT 10 probably has the best sounding effects short of something like an 11 Rack or a G Major. However, amp modelling and distortion wise, the Line 6 POD X3/HD series and Digitech's second gen (the ones with the red screen, blue for GSP) RP/GSP series are much better.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 17, 2011,
I've been following M-FX processors of late and a lot of players are giving some of the Zoom MFX gear good reviews. Yes it isn't Boss but some of their gear sounds very good and at decent prices.
I also own a BOSS ME 70, and it is a top quality bit of kit.
I would seriously recommend it if you're thinking of multi FX
There is a loop feature also installed, which is incredibly useful for jamming/practice
and the wah-pedal has loads of brilliant features like pitch shift and mod rate

Definitely worth considering
Seeing as how you like your individual pedals and want more I'd suggest a Zoom G3. Amazon has them right now for $165 after a 15% discount and free shipping. You get 3 independent pedals in a single package. But each of three can be set to any of stomps or amp models in the unit (with a few restrictions, i.e. cant have two amp models).

The FX and models are excellent quality. In some cases two FX are in a single stomp (like compression and OD or reverb and delay). It's also one of the only multifx with a looper and synchronized internal drum machine. Plus you can record direct to the PC through USB. You can add an ext expression pedal for as low as $30 (M-Audio EX-P).

So you still end up with a pedalboard and can add individual pedals.

Also multifx like the RP1000 and HD500 have loops built in so that you can integrate a pedalboard into your system. So you can have pedals and a multifx. But that Zoom kicks butt.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Seeing as how you like your individual pedals and want more I'd suggest a Zoom G3. Amazon has them right now for $165 after a 15% discount and free shipping. You get 3 independent pedals in a single package. But each of three can be set to any of stomps or amp models in the unit (with a few restrictions, i.e. cant have two amp models).

The FX and models are excellent quality. In some cases two FX are in a single stomp (like compression and OD or reverb and delay). It's also one of the only multifx with a looper and synchronized internal drum machine. Plus you can record direct to the PC through USB. You can add an ext expression pedal for as low as $30 (M-Audio EX-P).

So you still end up with a pedalboard and can add individual pedals.

Also multifx like the RP1000 and HD500 have loops built in so that you can integrate a pedalboard into your system. So you can have pedals and a multifx. But that Zoom kicks butt.

500 has no loop. Only 1000, IPB10n and GSp1101.
hmmm...thought this might happen. With my original post in this thread, the cynical part of me was just going to type something like:
This thread again? Didn't we already discuss this 100s of times....
I resisted and thought I'd try posting sensible advice, but it looks like my initial thought was right. Now everyone's basically saying exactly the same thing that's already been said in countless pedals vs multifx threads* and the original post wouldn't have been necessary if the OP had actually tried looking for the info before posting.

* And yes, that includes me, but now the cynical part of me has taken over
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Nov 17, 2011,
first thing you need to do is ask yourself what fx do i really need for live playing. you haven't mentioned what types of music your band plays. the answer may make a difference in what is recommended. for instance for what i play (70s style hard rock and some classic metal) i don't really need much in the line of fx. i use an overdrive, wah, delay and phaser. i don't really need to chage the setting much if at all. so pedals work fine for me. if you play styles that require a ot of fx changes then perhaps a multifx unit is the way to go.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
500 has no loop. Only 1000, IPB10n and GSp1101.
Deja Vu. We did this already a while back. The HD500 is not the RP500.
Line6 M series if you don't want amp modelling.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
line 6 m13
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by WtrPlyr
If you're only going to buy Boss pedals don't bother and stick with a multiFX.

If you want quality, get some good single pedals, which might or might not be Boss.

This.
It sounds to me like you want a multieffects. And it sounds to me like you are set on it being from boss.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
This.
It sounds to me like you want a multieffects. And it sounds to me like you are set on it being from boss.

What he really needs is a Klon
Quote by bogg808
What he really needs is a Klon

/typical pedalboard native answer
RIP Gooze

cats