so guys, i understand youre not supposed to play bass through a guitar amp.

but what if you use a guitar head, run it through a bass cab, and play BASS?

any ideas as to what it would sound like?, and if it would damage the equipment?
I don't know, but it'd probably sound like a bass amp. I tried using my brother's 1x15 cab for a guitar head I had rented once, and it absolutely SWAMPED the tone with lows, I had the treble and presence maxed, the mids at, like, 4 and no bass, and it was just muddy. Definitely sounded a lot more like my brother's bass amp distorted than the amp did in-store through a 4x12.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I have no idea about the sound, but I don't think it would damage anything as long as you use a bass cab. I think using a guitar cab would damage the speakers. The amp should be fine.
Quote by Erudhalion
I have no idea about the sound, but I don't think it would damage anything as long as you use a bass cab. I think using a guitar cab would damage the speakers. The amp should be fine.

thats what i was thinking. i have a marshall jcm 2000dsl 401; its a combo, but you can plug a cab through it, at 16 or 8ohms...i was thinking a nice 100watt bass cab, and i have a pretty nice, and loud setup for bass.

problem is i love that amp and i def dont wanna **** it up
Quote by Enix165
I don't know, but it'd probably sound like a bass amp. I tried using my brother's 1x15 cab for a guitar head I had rented once, and it absolutely SWAMPED the tone with lows, I had the treble and presence maxed, the mids at, like, 4 and no bass, and it was just muddy. Definitely sounded a lot more like my brother's bass amp distorted than the amp did in-store through a 4x12.

There's your problem.

The amp itself would be fine. It'll sound very mid rangy though, but a lot people use guitar heads to get a more growling tone as they distort easier. You'll lose a bit of bottom end though. Remember the EQ on a guitar head will be dialed in for frequencies that aren't optimal for a bass, so it'll be pretty much useless to use for regaining that bottom end. If you have some sort of EQ pedal then you could set the amp's EQ flat and use that instead,
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
This question gets answered almost daily.
Search bar people.
The general consensus is,yes you can play bass through a guitar head (me and several other people do),it's all up to your opinion on the sound
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Lemmy does it all the time.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm having a bit of deja vu or maybe senility, but wasn't this just asked a few days ago?
It'll probably sound with way too many lows and not enough treble.
Professional lurker since 2009.