I've been playing on an acoustic for about 2 moths and decided I'm going to keep playing guitar and would like to invest in an electric. I'm planning on doing mostly pop-punk playing like NOFX but want a guitar that is well rounded.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/pacifica/pac012_black/?mode=model
what's your guys' input on this? I've heard mostly good reviews and want a second opinion, thanks!
I have a 112 v and would recommend that model over the 012. I bought mine used from eBay 60 pounds and it was virtually unplayed. It was really good value and perfect for my needs as a player new to electric guitar. It had a very nice feel, really easy to play. It's light but feels really solid and high quality, not like a cheap plastic toy. I am using a fender mustang I amps and I am getting some nice sounds.
Quote by Goosage
I've been playing on an acoustic for about 2 moths and decided I'm going to keep playing guitar and would like to invest in an electric. I'm planning on doing mostly pop-punk playing like NOFX but want a guitar that is well rounded.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/pacifica/pac012_black/?mode=model
what's your guys' input on this? I've heard mostly good reviews and want a second opinion, thanks!

One of my friends has one of these and they're ok. I say that as it's a starter guitar and they can only be so good. I have a higher end Yamaha (Mike Stern tele) and it's awesome so I can vouch for Yamaha being able to make a good guitar.

I'd seriously consider getting a guitar without the tremelo though. When I first went on these boards, looking for my first electric, I completly ignored everyones advice as to not geting a trem. I though "tuning shluning, my guitar will stay in tune trem or no". And I was wrong and quickly sold the guitar (Ibanez sa series if you're wondering).

What's your budget? I keep seeing PRS SE/MIM Fenders used for ~$300 and think to myself, "why would anyone buy a starter guiter when they could go several steps up for the same price."
Quote by cbara
One of my friends has one of these and they're ok. I say that as it's a starter guitar and they can only be so good. I have a higher end Yamaha (Mike Stern tele) and it's awesome so I can vouch for Yamaha being able to make a good guitar.

I'd seriously consider getting a guitar without the tremelo though. When I first went on these boards, looking for my first electric, I completly ignored everyones advice as to not geting a trem. I though "tuning shluning, my guitar will stay in tune trem or no". And I was wrong and quickly sold the guitar (Ibanez sa series if you're wondering).

What's your budget? I keep seeing PRS SE/MIM Fenders used for ~$300 and think to myself, "why would anyone buy a starter guiter when they could go several steps up for the same price."

Well I'm looking to spend ~200 on it, because it's all i have and i still need to buy a nice amp afterwards. Any examples for around 200 you can send me would be helpful.
also whats your opinion of the 112 that was recommended?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-pac112j-electric-guitar
Last edited by Goosage at Nov 17, 2011,
i bought a 012 just for messing with off ebay awhile back for $50, as i remembered them being decent for an entry level guitar. Not so much with this one, it feels cheap as heck. If you've got 200 i'd definitely look for something used, over the 012/112. you can get a halfway decent ibanez RG at that price that will play and sound better to my ears.
Quote by vbshredder
i bought a 012 just for messing with off ebay awhile back for $50, as i remembered them being decent for an entry level guitar. Not so much with this one, it feels cheap as heck. If you've got 200 i'd definitely look for something used, over the 012/112. you can get a halfway decent ibanez RG at that price that will play and sound better to my ears.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/msg/2707414738.html
how about this? look good?
Quote by Goosage

Actually yes!, thats pretty much exactly what i had in mind. I like the fixed bridge for simplicity, it will play smooth and sound decent with the stock pickups. Then later on if you feel the need you can throw in some Dimarzios or EMGs and have yourself a nice guitar. I would go with something like that, or that specifically. Definitely a better guitar than the Pacifica, unless you are hell bent on sounding like SRV.

EDIT, on the price, you can always try to go lower, but in mint condition with the gig bag id say thats a totally fair deal. If he's stuck at $180 i'd probably still pull the trigger.
Last edited by vbshredder at Nov 18, 2011,
I actually have both a 012 and a 112 (the 112 being my brother's before he gave it to me).
While the 112 IS better than the 012, the 012 feels better in my opinion. It's a very solid guitar, the pickups are actually decent, and the neck is very smooth. The guitar stays in tune quite well, too. To me, they definitely are the best starter guitars available.

Also, maybe my 112 is a one of a kind, but its neck actually feels similar (though not as smooth and silky) to my Musicman Silhouette's
I have the 112, it was my first guitar, i recommend looking into a Fender/Squire. There are more after-market parts available for fenders if you want to mod it in the future.
Gibson Les Paul [498T + 490R]
Vox V845 Wah
Ibanez TS9
Hardwire SC-2
Handmade ToneBender mkII clone.
EHx Small Clone
TC PolyTune
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III