Well, basically I own a Vox AC15 and I get to fully crank it on occasion here and there. It's a glorious tone of course, but I've been noticing that once I get to about 11 or 12 o clock on the master volume, not only can I not really tell a difference in volume (which I know is fairly common on tube amps), but I can't really hear an increase in gain either... It definitely feels tighter and more responsive as I go higher, but shouldn't driving the EL84's that hard produce a substantial amount of more gain? I'm not trying to get metal tone or anything, just kinda curious. Tubes are stock, if that info matters.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Don't quote me on this, but I think power tube crunch gives more mids to the tone but not much more gain. I could be wrong though.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
AC15s just aren't high gain amps. The most you will ever, ever get out of it will be something roughly equivalent to a very dirty blues rock tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
AC15s just aren't high gain amps. The most you will ever, ever get out of it will be something roughly equivalent to a very dirty blues rock tone.

very true. those amps are designed to stay fairly clean regardless of volume.
Quote by Ibanez734
Don't quote me on this, but I think power tube crunch gives more mids to the tone but not much more gain. I could be wrong though.

You've got your terms pretty screwed up, but you're on the right track. 'Power tube crunch' doesn't really refer to anything. 'Crunch' is just a side effect. What you're doing by cranking the amp is starting the tubes to 'clip' the signal. 'Clipping' in a tube amp creates distortion, and as you said a bit of a mid boost. 'Gain' is the signal level. Turning up the 'volume' or 'master volume' knob is literally increasing gain.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!