so... I have been questioning myself and have found myself ignorant. I bought stew mac finish to go on the front a Swamp Ash Strat kit. its translucent blue and is going to look SWEET!! but I dont want the back to be that color. I'm using water to dilute the concentrated Stew Mac dye on the front, so I can't see why using Minwax water based Color express wiping stain. Am i wrong?
GOD Bless!
.... So what's the question??
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
.... So what's the question??

+1

That was a mildly convoluted OP, could you reword your question?
Yeah, I'm wondering is okay to go to Walmart or the paint store and get the Minwax wipe on water based stain or do I need to get some more stewmac or similar stain that is specifically for instruments? I'm broke, but still want to get a good sound and I've heard of people using minwax as a much cheaper alternative.
Quote by grayandholly
Yeah, I'm wondering is okay to go to Walmart or the paint store and get the Minwax wipe on water based stain or do I need to get some more stewmac or similar stain that is specifically for instruments? I'm broke, but still want to get a good sound and I've heard of people using minwax as a much cheaper alternative.

Wood is wood and taste is subjective. That is, if you like the look of the results you get using Minwax, go for it. I've used Minwas on a few projects myself, and continue to use their lacquer products. There's nothing different about the ash/mahogany/whatever used for furniture building (other than quality) as apposed to that used for instruments.

There's really no reason not to other than if you didn't like the look of it.
Cool. Thanks.if there's no sound difference, I'll deffinitely try it. Do use the spray on or wipe/brush on lacquer?
cool. I had a luthier /musician friend of mine say that it would. I think he was talking about an acoustic. Lumberjack: Did you use the spray on or wipe/brush on lacquer? and could you post a picture?
Thanks!
Last edited by grayandholly at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's the finish, it has absolutely zero effect on sound. Especially on a solid body electric guitar.

False! Do you actually think that a hand-rubbed oil finish is going to sound exactly the same as the 3mm epoxy finish shot on low end guitars?? The finish can make a substantial difference in tone because it modifies the way the wood resonates, which modifies the way the string resonates, which changes the sound of your guitar. Changing the material from which a string vibrates changes the amplitude and duration of the string's vibrations. This principle applies to acoustics and solid bodies.

If finish made no difference whatsoever on tone, Suhr would be finishing their hand-build masterpieces the same way Ibanez finishes their Gio series guitars.

The STAIN you use, so long as both are water-based, is not going to change the tone substantially. What finish you put on afterwards will.

TS, I used Minwax lacquer in the regular aerosol spray can on all of these guitars below. On the strat I purposefully didn't use any grainfill/leveling material, so the grain would show through the finish. :

Quote by lumberjack

False! Do you actually think that a hand-rubbed oil finish is going to sound exactly the same as the 3mm epoxy finish shot on low end guitars?? The finish can make a substantial difference in tone because it modifies the way the wood resonates, which modifies the way the string resonates, which changes the sound of your guitar. Changing the material from which a string vibrates changes the amplitude and duration of the string's vibrations. This principle applies to acoustics and solid bodies.

If finish made no difference whatsoever on tone, Suhr would be finishing their hand-build masterpieces the same way Ibanez finishes their Gio series guitars.

The STAIN you use, so long as both are water-based, is not going to change the tone substantially. What finish you put on afterwards will.

TS, I used Minwax lacquer in the regular aerosol spray can on all of these guitars below. On the strat I purposefully didn't use any grainfill/leveling material, so the grain would show through the finish. :

3mm is kind of a stretch.. but obviously you'd hear a difference between those guitars, because one's build quality is lower as well..

High end builders wouldn't use the same finishing technique as entry level guitars, but I wouldn't say it's related to sound.. Gio's get a quick and visually 'okay' finish because they're pumped out fast and cheap, where Suhr makes high end customs that warrant attention to detail in a spectacular looking finish

if you can hear and discern the difference between an oil vs. poly finish on identical solid body guitars through identical amps played by the same player, then..I'll owe you money or something
On an acoustic the finish undoubtably effects the tone, but for an electric? there are way too many other factors effecting and manipulating tone to hear the difference between the finish..

but anyway, sorry that's sort of off topic
Quote by grayandholly
no problem. so,lumberjack they all sound good?

Yup. The lacquer you get from SteMac won't improve the sound of your guitar vs. lacquer you get at Home Depot any more than buying your 22 gauge wire from RadioShack won't hurt your sound vs. the 22 gauge wire from All-Parts. It's all basically the same stuff.
Totally agree, I built a guitar three years ago, and most of the parts I got from hardware/electronics stores were better quality than what I got from music specialty stores. I usually consider it safest to stick to the phrase: you get what you pay for.
Cool, thanks for the assist! I'll post some pictures on this forum as soon as finish 'er up!
I was doing some additional research on this subject and came across this. Thought you all might be interested.

"Several people on several other threads have expressed doubt as to whether or not the Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer spray (black rattle can) is nitrocellulose, so last night, I emailed their customer support. This morning, a rep confirmed that it is.

So if you were ever in doubt, here's your answer.

---

11/16/2011 9:06:24 AM [Customer Note]

Hi,

Can you please confirm that your "Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer" contains or is based upon nitrocellulose? It's a matter of debate, and the answer will probably sell more of your spray cans.

Thanks,

Ben

---
11/16/2011 10:51:02 AM [Agent Note]

Dear Ben,

Thank you for contacting Minwax. We appreciate your inquiry.

Our Clear Brushing Lacquer is in fact a nitrocellulose lacquer

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Feraas
Minwax Product Support"

and

"11/16/2011 12:44:56 PM [Customer Note]

Just to clarify - the lacquer spray - "Clear Aerosol Lacquer" - that's also nitrocellulose?

11/16/2011 1:34:47 PM [Agent Note]

Ben,

That is correct, our Clear Aerosol Lacquer and Clear Brushing Lacquer are nitrocellulose lacquers.

Best Wishes,
Feraas
Minwax Product Support"
Quote by lumberjack

TS, I used Minwax lacquer in the regular aerosol spray can on all of these guitars below. On the strat I purposefully didn't use any grainfill/leveling material, so the grain would show through the finish.

@Lumberjack any tips on getting the finish to go evenly like it is on the strat? I didn't use filler either.
Hey Everyone,
I hate to bring back an old thread, but school and work have prevent me from doing anything!
Heres some pictures of the neck on.
God Bless!!
Gray