Just a quick kind of noob question for all of you. I was looking for a decent sound for like the solo of Killing in the name and I know a digitech whammy gives a really good close sound but I was curious if wah pedals pretty much do the same as a whammy like a dunlop cry baby. What is the main difference between a wah wah and whammy pedal? They both give pretty much the same sound so is there any real difference between them?
Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
Epiphone SG G-400
Schecter C-1 Blackjack Diamond Series
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
They are completely different, wah-wah pedals alter the tone of the signal, originally designed to mimick the human voice, the wah pedal itself cannot change the pitch of a note, whereas a whammy bar is designed to raise or lower the pitch of a note. You can get a pich changing pedal, David Gilmour uses one I believe, but wah-wah are completely different.
Quote by ProgFripp74
They are completely different, wah-wah pedals alter the tone of the signal, originally designed to mimick the human voice, the wah pedal itself cannot change the pitch of a note, whereas a whammy bar is designed to raise or lower the pitch of a note. You can get a pich changing pedal, David Gilmour uses one I believe, but wah-wah are completely different.

Great thanks
Epiphone SG G-400
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
Wah and Whammy sound nothing alike.

If you want the sound that Tom uses on Killing In The Name get a Digitech Whammy, since thats what he uses.
Do You Want To See My Cotton Panties?
Just a hint: digitech whammys are reeeeeeally expensive and there are some multifx (like boss gt-8) that have a great whammy effect as well and you pay almost the same price but get tons of good effects with it...
Equipment in use:

Ibanez RG 2550Zgw
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Blackstar HT-5R C
Boss GT-8
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95

Former equipment:

Fender American Vintage 62 Strat
Marshall AVT 50C
Boss MT-2
Quote by derAlchemist
Just a hint: digitech whammys are reeeeeeally expensive and there are some multifx (like boss gt-8) that have a great whammy effect as well and you pay almost the same price but get tons of good effects with it...

Yeah I wasn't planning on buying one I was just curious.
Epiphone SG G-400
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
Example of Wah, nearly every Kirk Hammet solo (I'm a kirk fan btw, no bashing), if you want tremolo, then look at some pink floyd stuff and steve vai
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+