I was fiddling around on my guitar, trying to figure out some chords to put to my lyrics, and I came across a riff centered around this progression:

D#maj, G#maj, A#7sus4
D#maj, G#maj, D#maj

I tried to figure it out myself, but it's a toughie. Anyone know?
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by ProtoCosmos
I was fiddling around on my guitar, trying to figure out some chords to put to my lyrics, and I came across a riff centered around this progression:

D#maj, G#maj, A#7sus4
D#maj, G#maj, D#maj

I tried to figure it out myself, but it's a toughie. Anyone know?

Try it this way:

Eb, Ab, Bb7sus4
Eb, Ab, Eb

That might make it a bit easier to figure out.

Edit: Ah hell I'll just tell you.
You wrote a I-IV-V7 progression in Eb.
Last edited by stratdax at Nov 17, 2011,
dimarzo77, you'll really have to work harder at identifying keys. The progression in question is not a "toughie", it's the most common chord progression ever.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
TS, become familiar with the Circle Of Fifths. Labeling your progression in that manner requires the use of a double sharp at the 3rd and 7th degrees of the major scale. Not practical at all.
Quote by AlanHB
dimarzo77, you'll really have to work harder at identifying keys. The progression in question is not a "toughie", it's the most common chord progression ever.

this is why i was asking how he tried to figure it out. i think the TS doesn't know how to fish.
Quote by AlanHB

yup.......... I was "true-ing" the I-IV-V comment above. I should've quoted it. My bad Bro. Have you ever boxed with a kangaroo?
Quote by dimarzio77
yup.......... I was "true-ing" the I-IV-V comment above. I should've quoted it. My bad Bro. Have you ever boxed with a kangaroo?

And for some reason I thought you were TS. That's MY bad

As for kangaroos, they don't play fair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FVD0BR2Mc
Soundcloud
Quote by stratdax
Try it this way:

Eb, Ab, Bb7sus4
Eb, Ab, Eb

That might make it a bit easier to figure out.

Edit: Ah hell I'll just tell you.
You wrote a I-IV-V7 progression in Eb.

You do know that making a D# an Eb won't help since it will still be resolved at that particular note.
Quote by liampje
You do know that making a D# an Eb won't help since it will still be resolved at that particular note.

You do know that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by stratdax
You do know that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ok so if I call this progression D# then I'm wrong?
Quote by liampje

wrong, no, just, well yeah, your wrong, it's Eb.
Quote by gavk
wrong, no, just, well yeah, your wrong, it's Eb.

Why would I be wrong?
I just looked up:
Eb3=311,13 Hz
D#3=311,13Hz
Eb3 means Eb in hte third octave.
Quote by liampje
Why would I be wrong?
I just looked up:
Eb3=311,13 Hz
D#3=311,13Hz
Eb3 means Eb in hte third octave.

Oh don't worry, i know what it means, because, you know, i know what the hell i'm talking about. You need to honestly sort your head out and get rid of this victim/anti establishment/ anti people who actually know more than you think you do. it' doesn't help. if you accepted the advice given in the first thread you ever posted, you'd be much further musically today, because you wouldn't be kicking and screaming and disagreeing with every innocuous piece of info you get from people who know what they're talking about.

at the end of the day, i don't care. i have no interest in who you are, and more, from what i see i don't like your personality. you're so unnecessarily argumentative it's not even funny, and you seem to be peevish and have a victim complex. so no love lost there. sometimes i find it very funny. your ignorance can sometimes be very funny, laughable even.

but, and although you don't deserve this advice, and although you've heard it before and didn't listen, i'll give you the benefit of...

actually? you know what? nah.
Quote by gavk
Oh don't worry, i know what it means, because, you know, i know what the hell i'm talking about. You need to honestly sort your head out and get rid of this victim/anti establishment/ anti people who actually know more than you think you do. it' doesn't help. if you accepted the advice given in the first thread you ever posted, you'd be much further musically today, because you wouldn't be kicking and screaming and disagreeing with every innocuous piece of info you get from people who know what they're talking about.

at the end of the day, i don't care. i have no interest in who you are, and more, from what i see i don't like your personality. you're so unnecessarily argumentative it's not even funny, and you seem to be peevish and have a victim complex. so no love lost there. sometimes i find it very funny. your ignorance can sometimes be very funny, laughable even.

but, and although you don't deserve this advice, and although you've heard it before and didn't listen, i'll give you the benefit of...

actually? you know what? nah.

Let me ask it differently.
How do I recognize if a key is sharp or flat?
Quote by liampje

"differently" suggests you asked before. you might have had a question mark at the end of it, but it wasn't a question, it was just another "i know the answer and i'm not going to listen to you" comments. as per usual.

you recognise it by how easy it is to write. in this case, Eb has three flats. fairly easy, right? not horrible to read.

D# has what? 5 sharps and 2 double sharps? why on earth would anyone, ever, choose to write in D# instead of Eb? it doesn't make sense. like most things, you're trying your best to make things as difficult as possible. don't, take the easy way. Eb. end of.
Quote by liampje

Yes, that's a fair comment, but do me a favour and list the 7 notes of the D# Major Scale. Then do the same for the Eb Major Scale.
Quote by liampje

By knowing your key signatures. There is no key of D#.
If there was, it would be:

D# E# F## G# A# B# C## D#

Have you ever seen a key signature, anywhere, with that many sharps?

Key of Eb is simply Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb.
Do you know where I got those notes from?

Have you heard of the circle of fifths? Please point out where they key of D# major is on here:
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/circle.html
http://www.circle-of-fifths.net/circlegraphic.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
Quote by liampje
Now I get it, selecting it by accidental numbers.

Remind me to never ever help your stubborn ass with anything ever.
I think the "why is the key not D#" issue is really not being explained very clearly.

Basically:

- There's a rule that you don't repeat the letter when saying what notes are in the scale/key

- If you wrote out the notes in a D# major scale, one of those notes would be a D - the major 7th.

- As you don't want to repeat the letter, you can either refer to it as C##, or take the simpler route of changing the key to Eb, and calling the note D.

And that's about it.
Soundcloud
Quote by liampje

if you know even the first thing about music notation (and its obvious influences on the practices of music theory), then yes. if you're in the stage of learning where D# and Eb are exactly the same in all musical contexts, then no, you're not wrong.

alan gives a practical answer. in D#, you'd have a Cx. in Eb, it'd just be a D. the one that looks easier written here is also the one that looks easier in notation.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
if you know even the first thing about music notation (and its obvious influences on the practices of music theory), then yes. if you're in the stage of learning where D# and Eb are exactly the same in all musical contexts, then no, you're not wrong.

alan gives a practical answer. in D#, you'd have a Cx. in Eb, it'd just be a D. the one that looks easier written here is also the one that looks easier in notation.

Should I select it by the number of accidentals, or the if there is a double sharp?
Quote by liampje
Should I select it by the number of accidentals, or the if there is a double sharp?

Dude just look at the circle of fifths. I posted three different links. Those are the keys. You aren't really "selecting" anything.