I play Drop C and I go as low as A# with a ESP 100qm(basswood bodied) guitar
What pickup would best suit me for getting a nice chug, but more mids?
DiMarzio Crunch Lab is awesome in basswood, or maybe some bareknuckles.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Dimarzio D-sonic might be an even better option than the Crunch Lab. When I bought my D-sonic pup, the guitar tech at the store said he'd tried them both, and they are similar, but he preferred the D-sonic.

I've been very happy with mine - it's a fairly hot pickup, so it drives your amp a little harder, and it's made for tightening up your low end when drop tuning. Basically, they made it for drop-tuning. I tune to D standard and sometimes drop C though, so I'm not sure how it would work for Drop A. Then again, I've never been a fan of tuning that low, so might look for some other opinions.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If the amps posted on your profile are current, then no wonder you can't get nice chug and mids.

Fender: 15g
Crate: 15r

Save your money!

EDIT
And don't say I use a brootalz distortion pedal!!!
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Nov 17, 2011,
Just get some nice pickups. Active or passive, I can recommend EMG 81, Dimarzio D-Activator, and Seymour Duncan Distortion for the bridge. 85, PAF Pro and '59 (all respectively) for the neck.

But none of those will give you good tone on their own. Tone comes from the amp. If your amp sucks, no amount of pedals or pickups will ever make it good. Amp is the meat and potatoes, pedals and pickups are the salt pepper and condiments.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I havent updated my equipment in forever
I have a Tube half stack with a tubescreamer
But I want my pickup to be "clearer" not muddy stock pickups tone
I have heard actives were the way to go, but I dont think Id like all that distortion, cause I do alot of things that use no distortion.
SO
Best pickup for ALL things not just distortion GO
Emg 81X/60X.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DeathToll

Bareknuckle Nailbombs..../thread.

But seriously, there's no such thing: a jack of all trades is a master of none. You can't get something for nothing, and if you want a pickup that does drop-tuned chug and gorgeous cleans equally well, you're dreaming of something that doesn't exist; you'll have to compramise on your clean or your gain tone, or get two guitars. No pickup does everything perfectly. But the Nailbomb comes close.
Quote by DeathToll
I havent updated my equipment in forever
I have a Tube half stack with a tubescreamer
But I want my pickup to be "clearer" not muddy stock pickups tone
I have heard actives were the way to go, but I dont think Id like all that distortion, cause I do alot of things that use no distortion.
SO

Actives do not add distortion to your signal. Actives do nice cleans and have been used by jazz musicians. They are just known for having bland/sterile tone. Not very warm sounding.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Nov 18, 2011,