I want to start building a new guitar as in buying an old one and replacing all the hardware such as new pickups new nuts - well new everything except the actual guitar and I was wondering for this would any old guitar do or does quality matter in this case - I wanted to customise one with a floyd rose as I already have 2 guitars with hard/stop tail pieces

cheers Jamie
well, yh cheap, low grade wood doesnt resonate as nicely - there's only so much nice pickups and other hardware can do
get one with a proper neck. other than that I'd say it doesn't matter
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
You need something with a neck you like, no structural damage and ideally a body that doesn't need excessive routing to incorporate the features you want. If I were you I'd look for something like a Squier, Aria or low-end Jackson. These brands tend to have decent necks and quality control but you can pick used ones up for almost nothing
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by J_HOLMES92
I want to start building a new guitar as in buying an old one and replacing all the hardware such as new pickups new nuts - well new everything except the actual guitar and I was wondering for this would any old guitar do or does quality matter in this case - I wanted to customise one with a floyd rose as I already have 2 guitars with hard/stop tail pieces

cheers Jamie

Well Jamie, I guess it would depend on what your goals are with your guitar... If you want to learn how to do it, then it doesn't matter a flip what you start with... If you want to customize a guitar to play and want a quality instrument when your finished, you have to start with some quality up front.

so what's the goal here?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Try looking at SX's and Douglas guitars. They are perfect for modding.
You could also just get a kit guitar to mod.
Quote by Papabear505
Well Jamie, I guess it would depend on what your goals are with your guitar... If you want to learn how to do it, then it doesn't matter a flip what you start with... If you want to customize a guitar to play and want a quality instrument when your finished, you have to start with some quality up front.

so what's the goal here?

basically I want something that I can play live but also I don't really want to pay a lot of money for it as it would be costly if I screw it up
I belive guitar fetish has RG style bodys thats already routed for a floyd.... or just look on ebay lol ..but i would go with guitar fetish
Quote by RebuildIt
OK, enought planning. Get started asap. Post pics.

Well in the end I found a Washburn on Ebay for £80 which was quite cheap as it is in quite a bad state but thats ok im planning to absolutely pull it apart and put new hardware in it

Here's the state its currently in

HOLY SH*T THAT'S RUSTY! haha if the neck is straight go for it......
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
was this buried in the ground at one point??

I have pulled guitar parts out of old basments and stuff but never anything this bad.. good luck man...
I've pulled out all the rusty bits (i.e. everything except the wood) and I'm going to sand it down soon (pics will follow)