I may not be posting this in the correct place so please forgive me, just created this account so I could hear from some experienced acoustic players.

I'm 20 and have been playing guitar for almost 7 years. Today I was playing my acoustic guitar I was getting shooting pains through my hand. This seems to happen more often when i play acoustic. I was only playing for about a half hour and it got to be unbearable so i put the guitar down and i noticed i had no feeling in my ring finger. It's been numb for about an hour now. I only play for 1-2 hours a day pretty consistently.

So what's going on? Should i be concerned?
If it's a one off, and it's never happened before, take a few days off playing and then slowly ease yourself into playing with a thorough warm up. If it's happened before, it happens again or you feel numb for much longer contact a doctor. Hope you're ok mate
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
dude go to a doctor shooting pain is not exactly something you should take lightly

it could be a pinched nerve or something but either way
GO SEE A DOCTOR
Yeah, it's happened before. The numbness started in my entire finger and it's starting to regress, it's only in the tip now, so i figure i'll be okay for now.

So I gotta see a Doctor huh? You were supposed to tell me "it's normal, take some aspirin and quit being a bitch". Oh well, Thanks bud.
Quote by cathexis92
Yeah, it's happened before. The numbness started in my entire finger and it's starting to regress, it's only in the tip now, so i figure i'll be okay for now.

So I gotta see a Doctor huh? You were supposed to tell me "it's normal, take some aspirin and quit being a bitch". Oh well, Thanks bud.

If only man, if only but it should be something a doctor can fix. Just don't play guitar until you've been checked out, try and keep your arm elevated if you can and all should be well
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
For guitar player numbness in the ring finger and shooting pain in tha hand is a classic symptom of Cubital nerve syndrome or in medical terms known as compressive neuropathy of the ulnar nerve, it is kind of the counterpoint to carpel tunnel but is caused by nerve compression in the elbow instead of the wrist.

Other symptoms can include partial numbness of the 4th finger and sharp pain in the elbow.

Give the guitar a break for a few days, if numbness still persists see you doctor.

If it goes away then slowly work you way back into playing and practicing with frequent breaks.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Don't do as I did, which was put in long hours of practice despite pain, I eventually lost most of the feeling in my ring finger and about 40 % in my pinky. I spent a year adjusting my playing style because certain type chord formations were impossible as was pinky extentsions.

I been in the body shop twice now for surgery and my playing is better than ever, but I should of heeded the symptoms in the first place.

DOs - Frequent breaks
Use a cold pack on elbow if soreness occurs
Try to sleep at night with arm extended and straight, wrap a towel around it to form kind of a splint.

DO NOT - Do too much in the way of repetitive movements with it like wieght lifting curls.
Rest you arm on your elbow at a table
Sleep with your arm underneath you or bent under your pillow
Play guitar while any symptoms persist

Initial treatment is rest and if bad enough immobilization, if symptoms are still severe then surgery is next step but not always 100% sucessful.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Oh man Blackbirdpie, you've gone ahead and scared me haha. I appreciate it though. Cubital nerve syndrome, hmm, next stop webmd. I'll be telling my doctor, didn't think it was that big of a deal, I just thought I was rocking so hard that my arm was full of electricity. I figured I might become sith lord eventually if i honed it correctly. Thanks everyone.
No need to be scared, in most cases the symptoms disappear with rest but if you keep at it while in pain it can cause it to become debilitating.

In a way it actually helped my playing in the long run, it forced me into learning block chords, but I don't recommend taking the same route that I did.

Good luck.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Nov 17, 2011,
Rest and cold should do it for you. Also take some anti-inflammatory; Ibuprofen (400 mg/8hours) or Ketoprofen (50 mg/8hours) for a few days.
Yeah dude this mean it's time for a break. Go see that new vampire movie or something.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Lennon993
Yeah dude this mean it's time for a break. Go see that new vampire movie or something.

If anything that'll probably make things worse for him
ggg1 ggg3

i had the ring finger numbness thing at one point and i bought a brace for my hand that kept my wrist and hand straight...i took a break from guitar for a bit and kept the brace on when i slept because apparently i slept with my hand bent. sense then i have doubled my playing and it never came back, but a doctor will give advice you can trust more.