Hi

I'm looking to get a new head and i've narrowed it down to these 3 with the money i've got. Any more suggestions which fit this budget are more than welcome!

Fender Mustang V / Marshall AVT 150 / Peavey Valveking 100 watt

BUDGET: The maximum i can afford is £250, will more than likely be looking at something second hand

GENRES: I play punk rock and pop punk music, also a bit of metal and other high gain, driving styles.

HOME/GIG: Would be to play live shows, around 500 capacity venues

CLOSEST CITY: Bristol, UK

CURRENT GEAR: Fender 60th Anniversary Stratocaster with one Seymour Duncan Invader Bridge Pick Up. I currently run no pedals or anything like that, as i don't know much about them!

Thanks in advance!!
James
What cab do you have now mate?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Nov 17, 2011,
What are some of the pros and cons between these? Thanks for finding them by the way! I've never really looked int Laney gear before, how is it?
Well the GH50 is basically a pumped up JCM800, so it very british sounding,

i have a laney vh50 and i love it, i will post this thread in view of some people who might be able to help you out

the orange might be a bit under powered for you, but works well for that big crunch sort of sound.

i had a valveking and i didnt like it very much, though a lot of people swear by them

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i mean what bands do you like to sound similar too?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
We sound similar to OLD Green Day, OLD Blink-182, Face to Face, Lagwagon, stuff like that really. More 90's punk rock / pop punk. High gain, big sounding overdrive sort of things
hmmmm that sort of stuff would be done well by a decent Laney or Marshall, but I dunno whether or not you could get a nice JCM900 on £250 or any sort of high gain Brit amp.

An american flavoured amp would be hard to get on £250 tbf though so is a nice brit flavoured one.

even the Vk to me sounds more hot rodded brit gain than all out american tones.

i would see if you could grab the GH50 for around £250 and that would do exactly what you want in my humble opinion.

the only issue you may have is that it is a 1 channel but does have switchable gain ( so you could have a cleanish and dirty sound and use your volume to clean up your signal if you need to...

they sound a bit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZHTKHuFYEo

they are very very good, but yeah see if you can find anything else

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah £250 isn't much of a budget to go on really. I've checked some other videos of the Laney, it sounds pretty nice. Could be a bit more deep and punchy, but i may be able to get a pedal or something to help with that do you think? Thanks for all the help!
yeah that low end isnt really a bit part of the JCM sort of sound, thats something i would associate more with an American voiced amp.

I mean if you can save up another £150 or so you open the door to a much wider variety of amps and tones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah maybe i'll see if i can squeeze a bit more!

Some of the Jet City gear sounds really nice! The JCA 100 sounds awesome for the price it was on ebay, £380!

I'll keep looking around and see what i can find!
yeah they are great too, but again its the same sort of british tone, but I hope you find something,

make sure to bump this UK afternoon time

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
No worries, haven't really done anything other than muddy the water lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb