I suppose most people have met or heard of those guitarist's who are really great and they know it and are just incredibly cocky about it.

Was at a local metal gig this weekend and I saw a guitarist play this amazing solo, with some immense speed, darting around the fretboard faster than anything I've seen before. After the gig I went up to talk to him to just basically congratulate him on being so awesome but he turned round and told me piss off. This is probably the worst I've seen of a guitarist, but I know a few others who are plain arse holes and the link, they're all guitarists. Don't know if it's just coincidence?

So UG, can guitar make you unsociable?

Share knowledge/stories/whatever

\m/
Well being an ass and being unsocial aren't the same. I think a lot of it comes from just hours and hours of practice, and therefore, isolation. John Myung seems to be a good example of this. Plays like a god, but is quiet as a mouse.
only if your a dick about it

since i started playing guitar ive met so many people and jammed with alot of them and such usually if you have a good attitude in anything you do you can be sociable music is just one fo those things that makes it really easy

also that guy was probaalby just a dick or pissed of or didnt hear you if someone wants to talk to me after a show they are more than welcome i met alot of my jamming buddies like this
Quote by griffin888
Well being an ass and being unsocial aren't the same. I think a lot of it comes from just hours and hours of practice, and therefore, isolation. John Myung seems to be a good example of this. Plays like a god, but is quiet as a mouse.

This, Myung is a PERFECT example! Nice one Griffin.

when you say unsociable i thought like locked in your room and not getting out at all lol. but yeah, i know a few people like that guy. I despise it I always chat to everyone after every show I play. Like the guy above me, i started jamming with many of those I met.
Quote by griffin888

Ah fair point.

That guy was both though.

In response to the other comment, i've had people tell me I'm good after a gig and I say thanks.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar run-ins?
If a dudes a dick hes a ****ing dick! It has nothing to do with guitar really. Some people are just like that. Move on and forget about the asshole
Since i picked up the guitar i have made 3 new really good friends plus an awesome guitar tutor.
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
This, Myung is a PERFECT example! Nice one Griffin.

? Not sure if a desperate attempt to make into a sig?
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
I bail on parties and other social events to sit at home and practice guitar or bass. Mostly because I dislike socializing in noisy environments. And depending on whose house the party is at, I might not want to even go because I dislike the crowd that would show up. I'd be bored to death despising most of the people there. So why bother.

Depending on the venue I dislike socializing after gigs too. Because I can't ****ing hear conversation. But I'll at least be appreciative of any praise.
No, I suck at guitar so if anyone were to complement me I would really like to talk to them. I actually think guitar has made me more social by helping me make friends with other musicians.
I think how you interact with people is based more on your personality than your hobbies... Paul Gilbert is a really cool guy, but Yngwie Malmsteen is a pompous airhead who leaves priceless, irreplaceable guitars laying against the wall/each other.
humility will get you much father than ego.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No, if anything, it has actually made me more sociable.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
It's helped me meet new people. That guy that was an ass was just being an ass because he knows he's the best guitarist there. I've had a lot of people congratulate me on my playing after my band plays (I play most of the lead stuff). You just have to be sociable and gracious.
I think Myung is already a quiet guy so I don't think his intense bass practice has made him that much quieter.
A lot of guitarists are just assholes because they know guitar is cliched as "cool" and stuff and they feel like that gives them a pass.
Needless to say, it doesn't.
Well most players that start playing to be cool usually just hang their guitar by their balls while playing power chords in 4/4 time. Those guys generally from what I've seen seem to be the most stuck up, while from personal experience, guys like Satch and Petrucci are very approachable and down to earth guys.
That guy wasnt unsociable, he was just a dick head and rude.

Guitar hasnt made me unsociable, ive met a few people i wouldnt have if i wasnt playing guitar.

Regarding that guitarist you mention, if someone congratulated me on my playing i would be flattered and feel on top of the world (unfortunatley i dont think that will ever happen)
No! Now Go Piss Up A Rope!
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by cxrlxscr
No, if anything, it has actually made me more sociable.

This. I have heaps more friends than before.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
with regards to the antisocial response in the OP, it wasn't the fact he was a guitarist, people like that exist in all walks of life, regardless of how good or bad they may be at something. It just happened to be this one was particulary good at playing guitar. He may have had a bad day, lack of sleep, need to eat a cookie, or any number of reasons I know that makes me less than social. However I find guitar usually helps my mood.

As for being less social personally, I have found playing guitar has opened doors into some new social circles but definitely left me without time to pay sufficient attention to older friends.