Hi everyone

A week or two ago I made a thread asking for opinions as to how i should restyle my epiphone les paul custom, as I had gotten tired of the black and wanted something new to look at.

I had decided on a wine red stain, to imitate the gibson LP studio

However, I've just finished sanding the guitar down, and there are several whiteish spots in various locations that won't sand off. They're rough in texture and very noticeable. I'm more than a little annoyed because unless I can get rid of them, I'm stuck going with a solid colour instead of a stain.

Have I sanded too much?
Not enough?
Is this wood rot?
Is this what i get for buying something made in china?
Any feedback would be appreciated
The darker stuff is the sealer. It is sprayed on first to seal the wood.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
...you mean i have to sand more

ugh this has turned into such a pain in the ass...i'm already like 12 hours of sanding into this crap

next time i'm just gonna buy a new guitar and turn the one i don't like into a wall decoration.
Why don't you just spray on tinted lacquer? That's the best option. That way you already have some of the sealer still on it, you just need to touch up the spots you stripped.
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
The darker stuff is the sealer. It is sprayed on first to seal the wood.

^that

and for the love of god, stop rounding the edges.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
well now that he has already gone past teh sealer in some places, that wont work. it will all bet a different color around teh spots that are sanded through the sealer.
Your only option is to sand off the rest of the sealer now.

You could just spray a bit on the spots, could you not?
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
i'm concerned at how rough the texture is on the bare wood though...those spots were exposed only after i started doing the finishing sanding, with 320 grain sandpaper. shouldn't it get smoother, not rougher?
the edges aren't being rounded...it just looks that way because of where the sealer has been rubbed off.
no. it's bare wood. how smooth is bare wood.

not smooth.

that's why the sealer is on.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Don't worry about it too much man, I know exactly how you feel. My Epiphone LP Standard fell on the ground one day and knocked a nice big chip off of the finish. I glued it back and and figured it would be an easy fix. Tried sanding it flat, and I went right through the red finish. I tried to spray on some tinted lacquer, but it wouldn't work. Every time I screwed up I would sand it off, taking off more red. Eventually I gave up and now it looks like shit.
But now I have 10x more experience in finishing guitars, and someday I'll fix her back up. It just takes research and practice.
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
i'm not exactly worried, i'm just annoyed because i didn't really expect i'd have to put this much time and effort into sanding. I have the option of just painting it a solid colour but i was really hoping to give it a wine red tint that showed the wood grain...but if i need to go back over the entire guitar again I might just paint it a solid white.

i'll give it another go...if I can successfully remove the sealer in 2 hours or less i'll keep going, but i'm already regretting spending this much time on a damn epiphone.