My band is going to record our demo soon and i would like a few tips to help make it sound as best we can from recording at home with a shitty mixing board.
THRASH TILL DETH!!!!!!
what DAW are going into from the mixing board? (Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Garageband, Audacity?)
if you have a decent computer, then go with vst pluggins (poulin legion). it'll give you the best free metal tones. you CAN plug straight into your computer, although it'd be best to get an interface such as the line 6 ux1. there's also plenty of decent, and free drumming programs. as far as bass goes, you can do the same thing that you did with guitar.
Quote by pedromiles101
if you have a decent computer, then go with vst pluggins (poulin legion). it'll give you the best free metal tones. you CAN plug straight into your computer, although it'd be best to get an interface such as the line 6 ux1. there's also plenty of decent, and free drumming programs. as far as bass goes, you can do the same thing that you did with guitar.

Thanks man. that might just help a lot.
THRASH TILL DETH!!!!!!
Quote by metallica567688
Audacity

Best tip I can give.

Don't use audacity.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You will need less gain than you think you will.

Use something other than audacity.

What mixing board do you have, and what mics do you have?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Reference alot and don't red light any sound until you are happy with it. Don't think you will fix it in the mix, cause you probably won't. Mixing metal sometimes requires extreme eqing and compression.
Pro Tip: Go find a local studio and record there
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Pro Tip: Go find a local studio and record there

Yeah, I change my vote to what he said. There isn't much worse than a bad metal recording.
Ironic that bad recordings were largely responsible for defining the early days of the genre...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.