Okay, so I'm looking at getting a used multi-watt, 3 channel, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier...but I just found that on Guitar Center's website they advertise many different DR's as being 3 channels with 100w, and not multi-watt (which is a big deal for me). It's my understanding that the multi-wattage is a feature that was added recently to the new version of the DR.

Basically, I guess my question is, is there a 3 channel Dual Rectifier that is strictly 100w? If so, is this limited to one particular model/years of production of the DR? Also, I know that the original Dual Rec was only two channels, so was the 100w another model that was produced between the original and the more current one?

I just want to make sure that I know what I'm about to buy before I purchase anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Multi-watt Rectifiers are from 2010 and onward.

2000 onward is the three channel Dual Rectifier.

Before that, the Dual Recto was 2 channels.

People say the two channel Dual Recs sound the best, but the 2010 Multi-Watt Rectifiers are supposed to get closer to their sound than the original three channel Dual Recto.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ive heard the new multiwatt rectos are designed to still sound like a recto, but to be more up to date and modern with todays music (Ie, its supposedly a tighter amp and slightly more compressed, nothing like a mark, but more aimed for modern metal, as well as more versatile)

I like the 2010 rectos from the one Ive played, tbh
Yeah, I definitely like the sound of the newer Rectifiers (vs the 2 channels) from what I've messed around with them. And to be honest, the 50watt feature is a huge factor for me because I know that I won't always want to play at the volume of 100watts.

Thanks for the help!!
you an aklways pull 2 powertubes off a normal 3ch dual rec. ut the voicing between pre and post 2010 models are different, meaning they sound a fair bit different. finding a used multiwatt may be tircky since theyre so new still
Does pulling two tubes out of a 100w really make that big of a difference? I've never actually tried this. Also, I've heard that you really should try to avoid doing this because it can harm the amp...is that true?
Quote by npo123
Does pulling two tubes out of a 100w really make that big of a difference? I've never actually tried this. Also, I've heard that you really should try to avoid doing this because it can harm the amp...is that true?

puling two power tubes has the same effect as half power, but i am not sure you can do it with any amo. but if you do this you have to cut the ohms in half as well on the amp. i know i can do it on my splawns, tried it out for a little while and put it back to 100w. 100w isn't that much louder than a 50 watt, realy the only difference is headroom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The difference between 50W and 100W is almost exclusively a headroom difference, as has been said. There won't really be a noticeable volume difference - both are capable of excruciating volumes. You use the volume knob to control the volume, regardless of if your amp is 20W or 200W.

Also, the Rectifier isn't a type of amp that is really used for power amp distortion, so in the case of that amp, the more headroom the better, IMO.

That said, the different wattages do have different tonalities, so obviously the most important factor is to get the one that sounds best to you (whether that be Single, Dual or Triple)

As for the differences, the original 2 channel amps have the best tone of the three. If you need the versatility, then get a Multi-Watt - they sound excellent, IMO. The worst is easily the regular 3 channel. Avoid that one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Makes sense...I think that I'll most likely be staying away from the straight up 3 channel since it doesn't have that overall 'sound' that I love out of a recto. My only hesitation with getting a head that's 100w (tonal differences aside) is the fact that I'm also planning on utilizing a 1x12 speaker (around 60w) for situations when I don't want to lug around a 2x12. I'm assuming that even if I took two tubes out of a 100w head, it still wouldn't be a smart idea to run it through a 60w cab right?
Quote by npo123
Makes sense...I think that I'll most likely be staying away from the straight up 3 channel since it doesn't have that overall 'sound' that I love out of a recto. My only hesitation with getting a head that's 100w (tonal differences aside) is the fact that I'm also planning on utilizing a 1x12 speaker (around 60w) for situations when I don't want to lug around a 2x12. I'm assuming that even if I took two tubes out of a 100w head, it still wouldn't be a smart idea to run it through a 60w cab right?

you would most likely need a different speaker or a 2x12" i love K100's. eminence has some 100 watt speakers too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
We've heard, repaired and modded almost every rectifier model. Based on our stats and opinion:

Earlier 2ch > New 3ch Multiwatts > 2000-2010 3ch

in terms of tone.

Keep in mind there are 5 different revisions of the 2ch alone (C-G). They all sound a bit different.
2 channel and normal 3 channel are the strict 100w versions. the multiwatt is generally better than the normal 3 channel, although i still prefer my normal 3 channel to the multiwatts

end of the line is tho that the best is the 2 channel, and by a long way.

if you want to buy one and live in the UK PM me cos im selling mine
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.