Hey what's up guys, new here from socal so yeah I am having a hard time choosing my first guitar. I research for hours and finally came up with two guitars. This will be my first electric guitar. I'm on a tight budget so my options are limited.

- Jackson DXMG (craigslist)
$400 with hard case looks like new with EMG 81/85. I like it because of the emg's but somehow I dislike the body because it looks odd.

- Schecter Damien-6 FR (found a used and in good condition$275 in craigslist , $350 new in ebay)
I like it overall it has FR, matte finish and a unique body, but I don't know how the stock EMG pick up sounds so I look over youtube for a decent review and found nothing. What do you think about its PU? Is it worth spending a hundred bucks for a better pick up or stick with it and buy Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp?

-Ibanez RG370DX?

Thank you for reading and have a nice evening!
Jackson! It's MIJ and the body isn't weird at all, it's just a little smaller (and lighter) than a strat body or that Damien. Besides that, Active>Passive as far as EMG's go.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
$400 is a bit high for the Jackson man. I understand the pickups aren't stock but that guitar goes for like $450 new. Find yourself a MIJ Ibanez man. You'll never regret it. I have one for sale in this price range. if your interested in knowing more shoot me a PM.
The Damien has decent stock pups. The Jackson is probably the best, but I have a cheap Schecter and it's a workhorse (Omen 6 - 350 brand new). It plays really well. I've never played a Jackson, but I've heard good things. Don't buy an Ibanez RG Tremolo (like the 370DX). Their edge II trem system is terrible. Cheap and a huge hassle to deal with.
dont buy a jackson under 1000. if your looking for the lower range go schecter, youll get more bang for your buck
The Jackson destroys the other two in terms of quality. Everything about it is better.

About your amp choice, I have extensive experience with Vypyrs, and I urge you to get the 30W instead of the 15W. The 30W has a lot of important features that make the Vypyrs so great, that the 15W lacks. It also has a 12" speaker, which makes a huge difference in tone quality, whereas the 15W only has an 8" speaker, which basically makes the thing sound like a toy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have the RG370dx and for me, the trem system doesn't give me any hassle after my local shop set it up correctly. And the stock pickups on it scream. It practically plays pinch harmonics for me.
Gear

Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Ibanez RG370DX
BC Rich Warlock SE
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series (Kahler trem)
BC Rich Mockingbird Acrylic Ice Series
BC Rich Mockingbird Spiro Light
Line6 Bogner 1X12 Tube Amp
the jackson isnt the greatest deal but its the best guitar out of all of them. if its $450 new and another $200 for the EMG's that doesnt make it a $650 guitar....make sure the seller knows that lol

talk him down to at least $350 (shoot for $300)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
i'd say the jackson in this case. i've played the damien and it has a really dry, dull sound because of the pickup. the actives in the jackson will sound leagues better.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
have you played a Jackson before? I would take the Schecter because compound radius necks are hella awkward for me to play on. Especially barre chords on the lower frets. I don't like it.
Quote by VertigodowN
dont buy a jackson under 1000. if your looking for the lower range go schecter, youll get more bang for your buck

Get the Jackson man, it's the better deal out of the three, the shecter would be a close 2nd place though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by shecter guy
have you played a Jackson before? I would take the Schecter because compound radius necks are hella awkward for me to play on. Especially barre chords on the lower frets. I don't like it.

wow. the compound radius fretboard is one of the best things about Jacksons. gvies you a slightly rounder fretboard at the nut for easier chording and gets flatter toward the body for easier shredding.

The DXMG is definitely the best of the bunch - but offer $300.
Last edited by rebar71 at Nov 18, 2011,
Quote by rebar71
wow. the compound radius fretboard is one of the best things about Jacksons. gvies you a slightly rounder fretboard at the nut for easier chording and gets flatter toward the body for easier shredding.

The DXMG is definitely the best of the bunch - but offer $300.

Granted, it's not for everyone. I'm not used to it and whenever I play a Jackson, it feels a bit awkward to me. Certainly not unplayable, but noticeable.
My flash answer would be get the Jackson. The Schecter (especially for the price) is a close 2nd. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either.

I will say though that the comments about neck profile are something to think about. The Jackson has a "compound radius" neck which means it has two different profiles, blended together. Most "shred" guitars have thin-ish necks (like that Ibanez you mentioned). The Schecter has a beefier neck. The Jackson blends these two so it's beefier at the nut (headstock end of the guitar) and gets progressively thinner toward the higher frets.

Anyway, you might want to see how they fit in your hands. If you know how to play some barre chords that would be a good way to see how it feels. Finger some barre chords from the lowest frets and move up to the higher frets (heck, you don't even have to have it plugged in if you're self-conscious). See which feels better to you.

I think feeling the necks will ultimately lead you to your decision...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
My flash answer would be get the Jackson. The Schecter (especially for the price) is a close 2nd. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either.

I will say though that the comments about neck profile are something to think about. The Jackson has a "compound radius" neck which means it has two different profiles, blended together. Most "shred" guitars have thin-ish necks (like that Ibanez you mentioned). The Schecter has a beefier neck. The Jackson blends these two so it's beefier at the nut (headstock end of the guitar) and gets progressively thinner toward the higher frets.

No, compound radius has to do with how curved the fretboard is. Almost all guitars have necks that are thinner toward the nut and thicker toward the neck heel.
Quote by Pac_man0123
No, compound radius has to do with how curved the fretboard is. Almost all guitars have necks that are thinner toward the nut and thicker toward the neck heel.

Yes, you're correct. I shouldn't have been referencing the bulk of the neck at all. I was really trying to convey feel though -- I think I got a bit carried away.

I probably should have described it in terms of radius and how curved/flat the necks are and the effect it has. I remember a vintage Tele that had such a straight radius -- couldn't handle bends of almost any size without strings hitting frets. That would be an almost useless guitar for a shredder.

Anyway, sorry for the bunk info...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 18, 2011,
Quote by richardlpalmer
Yes, you're correct. I shouldn't have been referencing the bulk of the neck at all. I was really trying to convey feel though -- I think I got a bit carried away.

I probably should have described it in terms of radius and how curved/flat the necks are and the effect it has. I remember a vintage Tele that had such a straight radius -- couldn't handle bends of almost any size without strings hitting frets. That would be an almost useless guitar for a shredder.

Anyway, sorry for the bunk info...

Do you mean curved radius?

Generally, teles have very curved radii such as 12", or even 9" on the vintage and reissues, and that radius apparently makes them handle bends much better than guitars with extremely flat radii such as Ibanez.
12" is pretty flat, 9" is standard really ^

7" is vintage spec. really curved. curved radius' make bending harder because the notes tend to choke off higher up the fretboard. Its just a more comfy shape for chordwork.

This doesnt effect the jackson compound neck, it bends fine. Frankly the difference between radius at the nut and 12th fret isnt that noticable.

TS. The jackson without a doubt.
Thank you so much guys I appreciate it all. I am considering to get the DXMG but I am thinking about the Jackson DK2M I saw today dang it lol.

Cheers,
Mark
Quote by Pac_man0123
Do you mean curved radius?

Generally, teles have very curved radii such as 12", or even 9" on the vintage and reissues, and that radius apparently makes them handle bends much better than guitars with extremely flat radii such as Ibanez.

I was meaning the constant radius that it had (as opposed to compound). I think it was something like 7 1/4"...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by dbs333
Thank you so much guys I appreciate it all. I am considering to get the DXMG but I am thinking about the Jackson DK2M I saw today dang it lol.

Cheers,
Mark

I got the DXMG and I absolutely love it, looks great, sounds great, plays great, if the price is good and it has a nice finish i'd certainly recommend it.

I'm looking for a DK2M as well since I was so happy with my DXMG.
I've owned a couple of Jacksons. The DKMG was a nice guitar, but my next guitar will be a Schecter syn special. I was really impressed with the build quality of even the really cheap schecters as opposed to the Jacksons. The cheaper Jacksons felt and looked like they were made by Sears or Wal Mart, but the Schecter looked and felt like a real guitar. That said, I've never played a DXMG, but the DKMG played great and sounded great too. But I'm going Mahagony + Ebony + passive pups this time around--and I just love the avenger shape.