I'm looking to get a new guitar. I have a Ibanez GRG170DX, and looking to upgrade to an RG. I would either get a RG4EXQM1 or RG3EXFM1 but have a few questions. Are they essentially the same except for the tremolo? Since I haven't really used a floating bridge I don't know if i would really need it. But i know that if you need it for certain songs.

So would the RG3EXFM1 be better if I'm not sure about the tremolo? I have a guitar that has a floyd rose but never play it because i never got it set up right and it's a pain to tune and change strings?
They're pretty much the same. I have an RG3EXFM1 and I love it to death. New pickups make it a great instrument.

Also, if you have any doubts about a trem, avoid one.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
They're the exact same guitar, except the RG4 has a trem.

I think that before you buy anything, read the FR setup guide, set up your guitar with the FR correctly, and then play it for a while and figure out if you actually want one or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have just bought the ibanez RGD2127Z, and although its not what your looking at, I can tell you now that a floating bridge is a pain in the @$$ and you should only get one if you really want one. You have to completely change the setup if you want to change tuning, and trying to get the action right when restringing is so annoying. Although having said that, if you think you might want the trem you could always get it and then chock the bridge if you change your mind
Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I was reading some comments on youtube videos and it seems like the Edge III tremolo starts to wear pretty fast. They say even if you get it set up correctly, after a few months the metal wears.

BTW, the RG3EXFM1 has a wizard neck as well right?
AFAIK all RG's generally have some type of Wizard neck. Don't quote me on that though.

EDIT: And yes it has a Wizard neck lol.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Last edited by Blbmbr666 at Nov 18, 2011,
That guitar has a Wizard II, because that model didn't get renewed this year, and all the new models have the Wizard III.

If I can make a suggestion, look into a new RG321. The new Gibralter bridges they have are like... infinity times more comfortable than the old bridges they used to use.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I play the RG3EXFM1 and I love the neck. I had the RG2 model before this one and the neck on the RG3 is far superior. I put an EMG 81 in the bridge with new pots and a stereo input jack and the guitar sounds great. If you like the thin Wizard necks you will not be disappointed with this guitar.

I am not a tremblo fan so I would recommend the RG3, the bridge is actually really nice and setting the intonation is a breeze.