Page 1 of 2
..... not to the point that I feel I got a lemon, but it still is a bit disappointing.

Prior to buying the peavey bandit, I played for 3.5 years non stop through a marshall mg15 with a US$200 starter guitar . I polished up my technique until I felt that I am good enough and entitled to get a new amp. Maybe its because upgrading from a shitty amp, but I kind of had high expectations

The clean channel was amazing, maybe its because i was upgrading from an mg but i really liked it. And then I switched to the lead channel, and this is where the problem started. No matter how I tweaked this amp, the tone sounded like it didn't have enough presence. Sounded 'muffled', like it was coming from behind a closed door. Even with the High knob set to 10, pinch harmonics don't scream out enough. The loudest I've played this amp was with the post gain knob at 2, even then it still lacked presence. Its a solid state, so I guess volume wouldn't affect the tone anyway.

Now I'm not sure about this, but I can think of a few reasons why it sound like this. Either my guitar has shitty pickups (my LTD M-50 cost US$200, very cheap), or the speaker is bad. I've heard a lot of bad things about the Blue Marvel speaker, especially on the Valveking thread and most valveking owners change them out.

So...... help me out here guys. Any ideas on what the problem could be, or what I should do?
Last edited by sewoo55 at Nov 18, 2011,
The problem is you bought a Bandit.

Sell it, gather a new budget, and look for a nice used valve amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
i have the same guitar... but heavily modded. the pickups really do suck but this may be a part of your amp too. i suggest a new combo amp (based on a budget if your willing to give us) or at the least new pickups. 3.5 years u shouldnt be stuck with those stock pups (the guitar itself IMO is great, with blocked trem the neck plays pretty well)

i wouldnt invest TOO much in pickups but some better ones will definitely be helpfull, probably something along the lines of some nice passives (depending on your style/desired tone)

as far as amps go, again, i need to know ur budget and style
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'm afraid to say that the guitar may be part of it too. I went through roughly 3 guitars before I got a tube amp, and even manages to squeeze some pretty good tone out of my Kustom solid state. So consider budgeting for a smallish tube amp and a new guitar, maybe about $400-$500 each. I know its a lot, and it doesn't have to be all at once. A nicer guitar will have better play-ability, as well. Just something to consider.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by Eppicurt
The problem is you bought a Bandit.

Sell it, gather a new budget, and look for a nice used valve amp.

The problem is that it was recommended to me by UG users, and people said good things about it in the comments of the reviews section. I live in Singapore, the used market here is really shitty.

Quote by EspTro
i have the same guitar... but heavily modded. the pickups really do suck but this may be a part of your amp too. i suggest a new combo amp (based on a budget if your willing to give us) or at the least new pickups. 3.5 years u shouldnt be stuck with those stock pups (the guitar itself IMO is great, with blocked trem the neck plays pretty well)

i wouldnt invest TOO much in pickups but some better ones will definitely be helpfull, probably something along the lines of some nice passives (depending on your style/desired tone)

as far as amps go, again, i need to know ur budget and style

Metal. With acceptable cleans. Budget depends. (and don't recommend me the peavey 6505+ 112 combo, it costs about US$1000 here). Not going to be gigging. Just recording a bit at home and general playing.
Quote by sewoo55

Metal. With acceptable cleans. Budget depends. (and don't recommend me the peavey 6505+ 112 combo, it costs about US$1000 here)

any comprable person doesnt recommend the 112 6505 on the forums anymore :P jk

still didnt give me a budget but i can give u a couple general options as far as tube amps go

Blackstar ht40
(gonna do everything u want, from cleans to metal). its tube, it sounds good
http://www.samash.com/p/BlackStar_HT%20CLUB%2040%201x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49951278

Bugera 333 combo
http://www.samash.com/p/Bugera_333212%20Infinium%20Hardcore%202x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49945618

vypyr tube
http://www.samash.com/p/Peavey_VYPYR%20Tube%20120%202x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49955398
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by kaptkegan
I'm afraid to say that the guitar may be part of it too. I went through roughly 3 guitars before I got a tube amp, and even manages to squeeze some pretty good tone out of my Kustom solid state. So consider budgeting for a smallish tube amp and a new guitar, maybe about $400-$500 each. I know its a lot, and it doesn't have to be all at once. A nicer guitar will have better play-ability, as well. Just something to consider.

A small tube amp won't have enough gain for my style.

By the way, what do you guys think about changing the speakers? Will it make a difference?
Quote by sewoo55

sorry for double post but wat the hell are u basing that off of?

2 words... dark terror.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
any comprable person doesnt recommend the 112 6505 on the forums anymore :P jk

still didnt give me a budget but i can give u a couple general options as far as tube amps go

Blackstar ht40
(gonna do everything u want, from cleans to metal). its tube, it sounds good
http://www.samash.com/p/BlackStar_HT%20CLUB%2040%201x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49951278

Bugera 333 combo
http://www.samash.com/p/Bugera_333212%20Infinium%20Hardcore%202x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49945618

vypyr tube
http://www.samash.com/p/Peavey_VYPYR%20Tube%20120%202x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49955398

Vypyr tube and blackstar amps are overpriced as hell, and there's no Bugera dealers here. I guess my options now are to save for a non-tube Vypyr, a line 6 HD300/500 or change the speakers. Anyone used the hd300/500 before? How do they sound?
Quote by sewoo55

By the way, what do you guys think about changing the speakers? Will it make a difference?

Follow the TS9 link in my sig.

Skip to 2:20.

That's a 2 watt head.

You don't know what you're on about, and no one here recommended a Bandit.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by EspTro
sorry for double post but wat the hell are u basing that off of?

2 words... dark terror.

Amps like the Dark Terror and the Mini Recto are exceptions, but most of the low watt valve amps available (Class 5, HT-5, VHT combos, etc) are low/mid gainish.
Don't understand why you get so worked up though
Not really able to help, as quite frankly it's far too early in the morning for my brain to fully function but I just felt like adding that the Bandit (or at least, older ones) are probably my favourite solid-state amp I've ever had to use... I think they do admirably compared to the crappy low-end Marshall/Line 6/Fender and even up against the Roland Cube line of amps.

Admittedly it might be down to me it being the best of the amps the school I attended a good few years back had, and having to learn how to coax a good tone from it, but I much prefer it to the new Marshall MA valve amps (amps themselves are alright at high volumes, but the speakers/matching of speaker and enclosure to amp suck balls at all volumes) at the rehearsal studios my band use and always aim to get one of the Bandits from the other rooms if not taking my H&K head along.

I could be a rare fan of the Bandits, or it could be that your guitar isn't of a great quality either, and bear in mind that they are solid state amps with an entry level price tag... you can't expect the tone of an amp that costs several thousand more.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by sewoo55
Amps like the Dark Terror and the Mini Recto are exceptions, but most of the low watt valve amps available (Class 5, HT-5, VHT combos, etc) are low/mid gainish.
Don't understand why you get so worked up though

just trying to say low wattage doesnt equal low gain
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Eppicurt
Follow the TS9 link in my sig.

Skip to 2:20.

That's a 2 watt head.

You don't know what you're on about, and no one here recommended a Bandit.

Would you call that high gain?
Quote by sewoo55
Would you call that high gain?

Yes. That wasn't even at full. That was at 1 o'clock.

Go be br00tz somewhere else.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Yes. That wasn't even at full. That was at 1 o'clock.

Go be br00tz somewhere else.

Lol? Trying to find a high gain amp equals to being an emo kid trying to be br00t@l nowadays? Well I guess all those people in the ENGL and 6505/5150 threads should go somewhere else too? This is the GG&A forum, and I'm asking for advice, not an arrogant douchebag making low cheap shots.
Quote by sewoo55
Lol? Trying to find a high gain amp equals to being an emo kid trying to be br00t@l nowadays? This is the GG&A forum, and I'm asking for advice, not an arrogant douchebag making low cheap shots.

Never said you were emo.

Just said you were too br00tal for this forum. I mean hell, the fact you bought a Bandit is pretty bad-ass!
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
While I'm not a huge fan of some of the really low-wattage amps, I agree with the guys saying you can realistically get enough gain for metal tones from them... bearing in mind that as a sound engineer I'm constantly wishing the majority of guitarists would actually listen to the music they love a bit closer, and then listen to their amp properly (i.e with ears at speaker height and in line with the centre of the cone) and realise that they're using far more gain than is necessary and just muddying up their tone and cutting through the mix less and less (combine that with scooped mids and you're asking for a failure of a live mix that more often than not the engineer behind the desk has to fight with on-board EQ all night, or risk being blamed for the band sounding crap).

If you are cranking the gain because you can't play the stuff competently at low levels, you're going about it the wrong way - to take an example of a band lots of people consider heavy... Lamb of God (not saying they're a good or bad band, flamers!). The gain setting on their amps is probably no more than 5 or 6 out of 10 (around 12 or 1 o'clock) for their studio sound at least, yet it still sounds/feels heavy. Why? Because a) you can hear the notes they're playing clearly, and b) the bass fills in the low end of the guitars anyway to create the wall of sound.

I'd bet good money that at least 2/3 if not more of bands at the amateur level suffer from using more gain then they need/poor EQ'ing of their amps - at least as far as the ones I've mixed go.
It does happen, if you use a Boss HM-2 in front of the Bandit, its INSTANT Entombed - Left Hand Path tone, but then, you ain't using the amp for the gain.

That's why I'm considering buying a Bandit, just for the gimmick of that sound.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Quote by Eppicurt
Never said you were emo.

Just said you were too br00tal for this forum. I mean hell, the fact you bought a Bandit is pretty bad-ass!

Buying the bandit was a bad choice I see that now, but seriously take your sarcasm somewhere else. THAT isn't for GG&A threads

I know I'm a noob guys, but someone please just answer this one - If I run a HD500 through the effects loop of my bandit, will it still be affected my the muddiness of the bandit? Or will it bypass all that

EDIT: or run it through the front of the amp
your really over thinking this dude. were suggesting things that would be an upgrade. what your suggesting with the hd500 is spending a lot of money on a great modeler (that can also be spent on an amp with profit made from selling current amp) and not using it as intentioned.

your trying to sidegrade not upgrade and i gave a whole list of amps that would be a good upgrade.

*EDIT TO REPLY TO YOUR LAST EDIT*

so what u originally thought was a speaker problem lead u to run an amp modeler through the same speaker?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Nov 18, 2011,
I gave you my advice.

You didn't like it, so I backed off because of your br00talness.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by sewoo55
I know I'm a noob guys, but someone please just answer this one - If I run a HD500 through the effects loop of my bandit, will it still be affected my the muddiness of the bandit? Or will it bypass all that

How effective any change to the tone given by pedals is depends on where the muddiness is coming from, and to be honest there could be any number of weak links in your signal chain.

I suggest you start by just getting a decent guitar (ask a friend to bring one round?) and plugging straight in with no effects. Now put your amp up on a small desk/table/sturdy chair, away from any corners, to bring it up a bit higher and decouple it from the floor to reduce boomy low end caused by floor-borne vibrations making contact with the walls and causing a nuisance.

Now (safely/securely!) tip the amp up/back a little, so that you can angle the speaker towards your ears a little, and start EQ'ing the amp with your ears pointing directly towards the centre of the speaker cone.

See if you can now get the tone you're after.

If you still can't, try and find/borrow another speaker cab and use the Bandit's external speaker output to bypass the internal one and see if this solves any of the muddiness problem. Still no improvement? Then it probably isn't the speaker in the bandit that you dislike. Try another guitar and see if you prefer the sound. Still no improvement? Keep searching for the weak link (could be a dodgy lead causing loss of clarity, could be old strings, could be a lot of things).
Quote by sewoo55

EDIT: or run it through the front of the amp
Muffled tone isn't what I'd expect from a Bandit. You say it sounds good clean. You should try running a multifx straight into the FX return. Can't you borrow one and give it a try. Seriously just asking people what to buy isn't going to solve your problems. You really need to try it for yourself.

A lot of people are happy with the Bandit. Nobody can know exactly how your guitar is going to sound with you amp or what tone is going to make you happy.
Quote by sewoo55
The problem is that it was recommended to me by UG users, and people said good things about it in the comments of the reviews section. I live in Singapore, the used market here is really shitty.

Metal. With acceptable cleans. Budget depends. (and don't recommend me the peavey 6505+ 112 combo, it costs about US$1000 here). Not going to be gigging. Just recording a bit at home and general playing.

if a Bandit was recommended (link to your thread with that would be nice) it was because that was the best thing available for your budget. or that you could buy locally. no most low watt tube amps aren't high gain but an overdrive pedal fixes that. dude you have budget gear which not suprisingly gives budget results. you can't afford the gear that would give you the best results, well welcome to the club. let us know what you can spend and what is available where you are (and at what cost).
solid state combo amps pretty much all have horrible distortion as a rule of thumb. the cheapest fix would be to get a distortion pedal. that will make it sound a lot better but not great. don't expect to get great tube like distortion out of that amp ever. if you just bought the bandit i'd say sell it and look into a nice low wattage tube amp. they make some with very reasonable prices these days and most any tube amp can easily do metal with a tubescreamer in front. more watts does not equal more metal
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
solid state combo amps pretty much all have horrible distortion as a rule of thumb. the cheapest fix would be to get a distortion pedal. that will make it sound a lot better but not great. don't expect to get great tube like distortion out of that amp ever. if you just bought the bandit i'd say sell it and look into a nice low wattage tube amp. they make some with very reasonable prices these days and most any tube amp can easily do metal with a tubescreamer in front. more watts does not equal more metal

Untrue.

Peavey Vypyr.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by monwobobbo
digital not the same

thank you.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
It's still a solid state combo no?

That statement was vague.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
It's still a solid state combo no?

That statement was vague.

the distortion is produced digitally which differs from a normal solid state's analog distortion. while neither actually produces a true tube style sound the digital tends to sound somewhat better (not always but for the vypyr this rings true).
Never said they were the same, just seemed like an odd statement

Wasn't trying to shit stir
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Never said they were the same, just seemed like an odd statement

Wasn't trying to shit stir

idk about you but i've never heard a solid state amp with analog transistor distortion and said "wow i like that" lol i've always considered analog solid states a different category from digital modelers.
its all good though
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I always sort've put it all together, if it ain't got tubes it's a solid state

But I can see your point
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
I always sort've put it all together, if it ain't got tubes it's a solid state

But I can see your point

on paper you would be right no tubes = solid state but as mentioned the methods used vary with differing results. no biggie many people look at it that way and since digital is still relatively new i'm sure it may be a while before everyone makes the distinction.
how does the bandit take pedals? Im looking to find a base for my RP and found one on craigslist for $70. For the price that sounds good to me...
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Quote by monwobobbo
the distortion is produced digitally which differs from a normal solid state's analog distortion. while neither actually produces a true tube style sound the digital tends to sound somewhat better (not always but for the vypyr this rings true).
Not according to Peavey.

True analog pre-amp distortion

http://peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/

Been a long time since I had a Bandit, but IIRC the distortion was a lot like the Blackstar HT-5. It's a high wattage amp so should have plenty of headroom in the power amp to compliment a multifx or pedals.

Quote by Diesel Weasel
how does the bandit take pedals? Im looking to find a base for my RP and found one on craigslist for $70. For the price that sounds good to me...
If it's not already gone I'd get it. You can always turn it over later and lose nothing. Owning & judging for yourself is the best approach when you can effectively own it for free by selling it with no loss later.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 18, 2011,
Quote by fly135

we're talking about the vyper which has digital distortion. the bandit does have analog
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Page 1 of 2