omidmash
Tab Contributor
140 IQ
Style of Music? Do you need EMGs? Are you gonna be able to switch to EMGs if you need EMGs in Explorer?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Cornishrob
10 IQ
i played a epi gothic explorer and thought it was decidedly lacking, its low cost was apparent. I recently played the 84 reissue epi explorer and was thoroughly impressed with it, The neck was a little thicker than my few months old gibson explorer but not uncomfortable, certainly no thicker than a LP.

I had the chance to play the LTD snakebyte in the same store the epi 84 reissue was in but was more interested in the vast range of LP's they had in stock so ran out of time before the rest of the guys got bored and wanted to move on so can't pass any judgement on it, however going on other LTD's I have played I would put a safe bet on the Gibson being better, plus i think the snakebyte is ugly as sin but thats personal preference. Also as has been said original equipment plays a big part, if you want emg's they will be present already in the LTD, however I quite like the original gibson pups in my explorer, They have grown on me a lot.
IhaveAnAlexi600
100 IQ
thanks for the responses guys.

i probably would put emgs in the gibby.
i do like ebony fretboards (not very many don't) and the white gibby is the only out of the three that has one. i guess the snakebyte has everything i want to be on the explorer in terms of specs. the explorer would be more original.
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
120 IQ
The Snakebyte is a cool new custom artist design, but I doubt they'll still be making them in 10 years (or even 5 years). The Explorer on the other hand is a classic, time-tested instrument. It was first produced in the late 50's and it's still around. No contest...

If it were me I'd go with the Explorer and upgrade it as needed. Although I'd give the stock pickups a chance before you swap 'em out. You might like them...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
IhaveAnAlexi600
100 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop
The Snakebyte is a cool new custom artist design, but I doubt they'll still be making them in 10 years (or even 5 years). The Explorer on the other hand is a classic, time-tested instrument. It was first produced in the late 50's and it's still around. No contest...

If it were me I'd go with the Explorer and upgrade it as needed. Although I'd give the stock pickups a chance before you swap 'em out. You might like them...

good point
jbailes
10 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop

Because of the above quote, the Gibby will have better resale value as well, should you choose to sell it in the future.