Hi all,

Liking the thought of a rig based solely on my multi effects unit and then simply running that to a power amp and onto a speaker cab. Anyone use this sort of a set up? Thoughts on it vs. a more standard guitar > effects > guitar combo set up.

Through looking into this idea, I discovered the EHX 44 Magnum power amp. The idea of being able to show up with a guitar, pedalboard and speaker cab and be ready to rock sounding exactly the same as I have been at home/in practice is pretty cool.

So basically - would the magnum be powerful enough to take my multi fx signal, push it through a cab (say, 2x12) and be loud enough to compete with a drummer in a rehearsal room? Gigs aren't too much of a worry as I'm generally mic'd up anyways.

Thanks
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
No it wont.

Before asking any more questions, lemme ask

What modeller do you have?

The cheapest solution would be using a keyboard amp.

Better than taht, would be a rack poweramp and cab.

the 44 magnum is a novelty thing, its nowhere near loud enough or clean enough for using a modeller in a jam.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
No it wont.

Before asking any more questions, lemme ask

What modeller do you have?

The cheapest solution would be using a keyboard amp.

Better than taht, would be a rack poweramp and cab.

the 44 magnum is a novelty thing, its nowhere near loud enough or clean enough for using a modeller in a jam.

Straight answer there haha. Have you used one? I've heard plenty of people saying that it's plenty loud enough?

At the minute I'm using a Boss gt-3 but I'd probably upgrade it at some point if I go down this route.
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
44 watts of solid state shite compressed into a stompbox is going to sound about as dynamic as a whore's arsehole after a 4 hour marathon ramming, and just about as dirty.
Quote by jake_the_pake
Straight answer there haha. Have you used one? I've heard plenty of people saying that it's plenty loud enough?

At the minute I'm using a Boss gt-3 but I'd probably upgrade it at some point if I go down this route.

Its loud enough, but its not designed to be a poweramp. Its designed to break up at about 9 o clock on the master, which wont be good for your modelling pedal.

See youtube vids, it tries to act like a small tube amp, its level of success being dependent on your ears (I found its crunch to be kinda harsh and fizzy)

You need either a rack poweramp with cab(best sounding) or a keyboard amp (cheapst)
or studio powered monitors (cheaper than rack, pricier than keyboard amp).

My KB4 is 75W, its plenty loud enough over a drummer. Then again, my rhythm player doesnt use something crazy like a 6505 head

Quote by Kikuta
44 watts of solid state shite compressed into a stompbox is going to sound about as dynamic as a whore's arsehole after a 4 hour marathon ramming, and just about as dirty.

Take a typical 10,000W PA amp.

The actual amplifier part is going to be about the size of a cell phone.

The rest is filtering, power supply, heatsinks, EQ sections etc.

A tiny 44W amp with almost no EQ section, will probably be the size of a matchbox.

Most large SS heads are just mostly empty space- an SS amp is just a chip. Thats it.

People use SS poweramps with modellers for a reason- because they sound flat, sterile, and are most importantly, maybe 1/10th the weight and size of a tube amp.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 18, 2011,
I'd heard about the prospect of a keyboard amp in a few other threads discussing this kind of thing...seems like a viable option, for sure. Is it true that they have a wider frequency range available to them because of the nature of a keyboard? That's pretty appealing if so.

The rack-type power amp and a cab was my initial thought of how to go about something like this... any good suggestions?

I've also seen the Tech 21 power engine 60 - from what I gather it's along the lines of a combo but it's clean and intended for this very purpose. Any thoughts on these?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
Quote by jake_the_pake
I'd heard about the prospect of a keyboard amp in a few other threads discussing this kind of thing...seems like a viable option, for sure. Is it true that they have a wider frequency range available to them because of the nature of a keyboard?

yes, a guitar's lowest fundamental frequency in standard tuning is ~80 hz, a keyboard can get down to ~30 hz. keyboard amps run full-range speaker setups (sometimes even 2-ways systems or 2 different sized speakers) to help facilitate this need for more range.

Quote by jake_the_pake
That's pretty appealing if so.

not really, i generally run a HP filter on my guitar mixes to throw out everything below ~80 hz, it's where quite a bit of noise hides. also, guitars really don't want a dominating low end, tends to make the guitar sound more atonal and muddy, hard to tell what notes you are playing.

Quote by jake_the_pake
The rack-type power amp and a cab was my initial thought of how to go about something like this... any good suggestions?

i'd go after a crown amp or a carvin amp for a power amp, i'd rack mount it with a tuner and power conditioner. if you use a guitar cab, then you def wanna turn off cabinet emulation on your multi effects. if you use a keyboard, you may wanna turn off the cabinet emulation cuz sometimes it doesn't sound too good when you aren't going line into a board or using headphones.

Quote by jake_the_pake
I've also seen the Tech 21 power engine 60 - from what I gather it's along the lines of a combo but it's clean and intended for this very purpose. Any thoughts on these?

i have seen that, and yes it is basically just a power amp for whatever setup you choose. i'd prob prefer that cuz it uses a guitar speaker, and i like that better than using keyboard/PA setups.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 18, 2011,
I have a video of someone using an 11r live on stage with a 44magnum. Doesn't look mic'd but he was probably running an xlr out to the board.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Wjc13gcQo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I would use it if there was a decent PA, and use my cab as a monitor only.

If you're going for a cheap rack power amp, the ART SLA 2 or 4 is VERY loud, and only 1U
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by gumbilicious
yes, a guitar's lowest fundamental frequency in standard tuning is ~80 hz, a keyboard can get down to ~30 hz. keyboard amps run full-range speaker setups (sometimes even 2-ways systems or 2 different sized speakers) to help facilitate this need for more range.

not really, i generally run a HP filter on my guitar mixes to throw out everything below ~80 hz, it's where quite a bit of noise hides. also, guitars really don't want a dominating low end, tends to make the guitar sound more atonal and muddy, hard to tell what notes you are playing.

i'd go after a crown amp or a carvin amp for a power amp, i'd rack mount it with a tuner and power conditioner. if you use a guitar cab, then you def wanna turn off cabinet emulation on your multi effects. if you use a keyboard, you may wanna turn off the cabinet emulation cuz sometimes it doesn't sound too good when you aren't going line into a board or using headphones.

i have seen that, and yes it is basically just a power amp for whatever setup you choose. i'd prob prefer that cuz it uses a guitar speaker, and i like that better than using keyboard/PA setups.

He will be using a modeller, so the cab modelling will inctroduce a massive rolloff under about 150hz and above 2000 Hz or so.
And the noise in a mix that you get, more often than not in a band setting its unnoticeable, so long as you dont do something like set gain to 10 or something.
Just going back to the 44 magnum - this guy is running a set up pretty much as I would be doing (pod hd300 > magnum > cabs) and to me...it sounds killer?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
The Tech 21 Power engine will be a good choice. I belive they have a 2x12 version aswell.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jake_the_pake
Just going back to the 44 magnum - this guy is running a set up pretty much as I would be doing (pod hd300 > magnum > cabs) and to me...it sounds killer?

Is it at low volume? cause it 44 breaks up pretty fast

Give it a try. No harm.

Tech 21 PE is also a good option.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Is it at low volume? cause it 44 breaks up pretty fast

Give it a try. No harm.

Tech 21 PE is also a good option.

I have a 44. It's loud, stays clean, moves plenty of air with my 2x12. Enough for jams and small club gigs.

44 watts is not a clean cut number as far as the headroom.

The Peavey windsor is 120 watts, but even with the clean channel mod it doesn't stay very clean for long. There are 100 watt tube heads with varying headroom. The Carvin TS100 is 100 watts or 50 watts per side, but it's cleaner than a Mesa 2:90.

The design is what's important. This is an excellent backup poweramp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

^It is? All the youtube vids I saw showed it breaking up......aw damn youtube.
Can you put up a clip? Im interested, if it really is flat sounding and clean, it might just make its way into my post uni rig. Cant drag my KB out of state- too big.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^It is? All the youtube vids I saw showed it breaking up......aw damn youtube.
Can you put up a clip? Im interested, if it really is flat sounding and clean, it might just make its way into my post uni rig. Cant drag my KB out of state- too big.

So what if it breaks up after 9 o' clock? Youtube videos will not show how LOUD IT IS AT THAT VOLUME. My Blues Deluxe breaks up after 9 o clock, but it's almost at 75% volume at 9 o clock to begin with.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 20, 2011,
So I think I've 'narrowed' options to:

1 - The 44 magnum into a guitar cab (any suggestions about 'cleanest' guitar cabs?)
2 - The Tech 21 power engine - seems like a nice, neat solution.
3 - Powered/active PA speaker(s) - Looks like a hell of a lot to choose from and I have no idea where to start....also find it weird to turn up to a gig with a little PA speaker haha BUT will give me the truest, cleanest sound from the multi-effects...

So yeah....anymore thoughts?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2

Blackstar HT40
Quote by jake_the_pake
So I think I've 'narrowed' options to:

1 - The 44 magnum into a guitar cab (any suggestions about 'cleanest' guitar cabs?)
2 - The Tech 21 power engine - seems like a nice, neat solution.
3 - Powered/active PA speaker(s) - Looks like a hell of a lot to choose from and I have no idea where to start....also find it weird to turn up to a gig with a little PA speaker haha BUT will give me the truest, cleanest sound from the multi-effects...

So yeah....anymore thoughts?

I think the best is to go to a store and see them yourself... ask a store guy to get you a new cab from the storage in a box and all, those usually are the cleanest and have no dust or dirt whatsoever

srsly though, I can't be much of help when it comes to cabs but it'll be a free bump