So ive been using a spider 4 for a while now, and im looking into buying a new amp as i really cant put up with the cheap tones for much longer. i am obviously trying to stay away from a solid state, and was looking at some marshall halfstacks. i noticed the cheaper stacks are solid state also, but they just dont give me much to upgrade to. basically, im looking for suggestions for an affordable multi-channel amp HEAD that is tube, and does not sound anything like a digital. The highest i would like to pay is under $800.
Last edited by warbeast19 at Nov 18, 2011,
If you can stretch the budget just a little check out the Blackstar HT Stage 100 head. It's extremely versatile and can play just about any style of music. $850 brand new, you might be able to find one used for a little less.

As far as sound goes, it's all tube goodness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4dEaV4ZJ7Q
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
What kind of style are you going for? High Gain, low gain, classic, modern, blues, metal etc.
^good question lol. im looking for a high gain amp with really good tone and clarity. i play rock music in general, not really metal or blues though.. Just good tone in general is my goal
Peavey windsor head and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

Jet City JCA 50h and 2x12 cab.

Bugera 333/333xl 2x12 combo

If you go used, you can possibly scoop up a Mesa Mark IV combo, Mesa Maverick, Mesa Rectoverb combo, Mesa DC 3 combo, Marshall JCM 800 combo, Laney GH50/100, Peavey Butcher/VTM
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
actually, i have been looking at used, so ill take some of those down. i did come across the peavey windsor earlier, and it is a steal. but how many channels does it have (like overdrive and clean etc)? There is a massive amount of mods available for this amp also
It is a 1 ch amp. Yes there are quite a few mods to make it a really great rock amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by warbeast19
wait. so that means you can make it sound clean or distorted, but you have to dial it in each time you switch?..

I've owned two Windsor heads. They are good heads, great depending on what you want it for, but they are also pretty limited. Yes, they are one channel just like a Marshall JCM800 2203. But, if you get efficient with your volume knob on the guitar, you can get some usable cleans and then distortion by turning up that volume on your guitar. In my personal opinion, they are great rock amps and I think it would suit you well.

Best of luck! I know how hard it can be to decide on a new piece of gear.

EDIT: A bit of advice, be careful on posting responses. If you do too much, you can get yourself in trouble.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Last edited by Skylar W. at Nov 18, 2011,
Give Egnater a try. The Rebel 30 goes for around $750 at most retail places. 2 channels, tube blend (6v6 and el84), watt select per channel (1-20) and independent reverb per channel, has a cool silent record option with an XLR output on the back. Should have an FX loop as well.

There are also a couple 1 channel amps they make that come down to the $400-600 range.

http://www.egnateramps.com/Galleries.html

Good luck!
Quote by bpdeem
Give Egnater a try. The Rebel 30 goes for around $750 at most retail places. 2 channels, tube blend (6v6 and el84), watt select per channel (1-20) and independent reverb per channel, has a cool silent record option with an XLR output on the back. Should have an FX loop as well.

There are also a couple 1 channel amps they make that come down to the $400-600 range.

http://www.egnateramps.com/Galleries.html

Good luck!

^^ This

I forgot all about Egnater amps. Great rock amps and they make good cabs, too.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
If you go with an Egnater, I'd definitely urge you to take advantage of a Guitar Center sale, as you could probably hit one up and get 15% off one of their heads.

I would like to mention that I did get my Splawn Pro Stock head for $800 locally from someone off of Craigslist, and I would like to mention that it is the beefiest badass around.
does anyone know the difference between this peavey valveking and their normal 4x12? the windsor isnt sold with the 4x12 anymore, just this valveking for like $749 total
can the carvin do modern? if so then I'd get V3M. I assume so, but for some reason i was thinking it was made classic/vintage voiced.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Quote by warbeast19
does anyone know the difference between this peavey valveking and their normal 4x12? the windsor isnt sold with the 4x12 anymore, just this valveking for like $749 total

I would stay away from the ValveKing 4x12. Speakers aren't too great. You could always pick up a used Windsor head for about $200 and get a nice Egnater cab or somethin'. But, far as the amp, my vote goes for Egnater.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Quote by Diesel Weasel
can the carvin do modern? if so then I'd get V3M. I assume so, but for some reason i was thinking it was made classic/vintage voiced.

I went to a local metal show and one of the guitarists was using a Carvin V3 with an H-S-S Fender Strat and it sounded pretty good.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Mesa 2 ch dual rec can be had for $800 or the peavey 5150 for less than $600
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by lordy88
If you go with an Egnater, I'd definitely urge you to take advantage of a Guitar Center sale, as you could probably hit one up and get 15% off one of their heads.

I would like to mention that I did get my Splawn Pro Stock head for $800 locally from someone off of Craigslist, and I would like to mention that it is the beefiest badass around.

Im pretty sure Egnater is excluded from gc promotions.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
5150/6505 if cleans arent a huge deal.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by themelodicdeathshow
Im pretty sure Egnater is excluded from gc promotions.

No interest 15 months on the Preferred Player's Card still applies. I think they'll give you 10% off if you don't already have one. I'm not saying GC is the way to go, but it was the way they tried to make the sale on me the last time I was in there. A lot of GC's have started putting their floor amps on clearance too. Its usually about $50 off the regular price. Noticed that starting in September. Most of them have been Egnater and Orange Tiny Terror.
Quote by bpdeem
No interest 15 months on the Preferred Player's Card still applies. I think they'll give you 10% off if you don't already have one. I'm not saying GC is the way to go, but it was the way they tried to make the sale on me the last time I was in there. A lot of GC's have started putting their floor amps on clearance too. Its usually about $50 off the regular price. Noticed that starting in September. Most of them have been Egnater and Orange Tiny Terror.

ppc are about impossible to get.
I was a manager at 2 diff gcs and have good credit and ive never been approved for one, even when I was managing 2 of the stores.

gc is a ripoff most of the time anyways, id never buy anything off the floor ever ever lol.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
An Egnater is a good choice. However if you want something with some real headroom that can deliver cleans and modern high gain then it's hard to beat a used Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification