Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a small tube amp for my living room (5 watt max). Just needs to be able to get some nice some nice bluesy/rock tones for when I'm relaxing/practicing. Max budget is $300. I'm currently looking at the epi valve jr, VHT special 6, Fender champ 600, and Vox ac4tv. Any other amps I should consider in this price range?

As for the OD, I want something that will boost my amp (Egnater Tourmaster) into metal territory, as well as providing lightly overdriven tones. My friends TS9 did this well, but are there any options that may be better? Budget is around 150-200, but is flexible if need be.

Thanks!
Maxon OD808
Way huge green Rhino
And OCD overdrive

All are awesome.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Thanks for the suggestions! I know the Maxon OD808 and the TS808 are basically the same things. What is it that seperates them from a TS9? Better components/build quality?
The Maxon OD808 is very, very widely used in metal records over the last 10 years. The OD820 is another serious contender, similar to the OD808 but just slightly better in every way to my ears.

There's a lot of tubescreamer type clones out there, the only one I prefer over the Maxons is the Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, but it's not nearly as compressed as most TS pedals. Also check out the MI Audio Tube Zone, really love that one.

All that said, is there any particular sounds you're chasing? Ie. any favourite tones on records? It'd be easier to reccomend one based on what you want it to do, as opposed to just metal in general - though if that's what you want, go with a Maxon 820/808.
@ Kikuta: Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check some of those out. As for particular tones I'm chasing, there really aren't any. I'm just looking to tighten up the bass and add a bit of compression.

@ stykerwolf: That kind of confirms what some friends have told me. Thankfully there isn't much of a price difference between a ts9 and an OD808, so I'll definitely be checking both out.
Quote by zl1288
@ Kikuta: Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check some of those out. As for particular tones I'm chasing, there really aren't any. I'm just looking to tighten up the bass and add a bit of compression.

@ stykerwolf: That kind of confirms what some friends have told me. Thankfully there isn't much of a price difference between a ts9 and an OD808, so I'll definitely be checking both out.

you could get the TS7 if you are going to use it for boosting. the ts7 does good for that role, and in a band situation it shouldn't be noticeable really
Quote by denied
My vote would go to the VHT special 6. Without a doubt. The AC4 is great.

You could look into some blackstar stuff as well.

Yea, thats what I was leaning towards. I've checked out the blackstar stuff before and wasn't very impressed. Just felt very sterile to me