As the title says, is there any piece of gear + or a method, that would enable one to record with more inputs than the multitrack alone allows? for instance i'm going to be buying a tascam dp-02, but if i recall correctly it only has two inputs for simultaneous recording, is there something i can connect up to it to allow more inputs for recording at the same time?

I hope this makes sense, and thankyou
Quote by fly135
Mixer is the solution. If the recorder is stereo you still get only two tracks.

So if i were to buy this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=Mixer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15611743746953012791&sa=X&ei=HZfGToKrM4be8APWvp17&ved=0CLUBEPMCMAQ

I would just be able to hook it up to the multitrack and have all those extra inputs to record with simultaneously? as i'm buying an 8 track recorder would i be correct in saying with this i could record only up to a maximum of 8 tracks at the same time? i apologise if this is hassle but i'm completely new to recording and would really like to know before i set out buying things, thankyou!
Yes, that will work. But that mixer can only output 2 tracks. So you can only record 2 tracks at a time with multiple inputs mixed down to 2 tracks in the mixer.

The Tascam is only capable of recording 2 tracks at once. The mixer just gives you more inputs.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 18, 2011,
Quote by Mitchybirch
So if i were to buy this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=Mixer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15611743746953012791&sa=X&ei=HZfGToKrM4be8APWvp17&ved=0CLUBEPMCMAQ

I would just be able to hook it up to the multitrack and have all those extra inputs to record with simultaneously? as i'm buying an 8 track recorder would i be correct in saying with this i could record only up to a maximum of 8 tracks at the same time? i apologise if this is hassle but i'm completely new to recording and would really like to know before i set out buying things, thankyou!

most 8 tracks don't allow all 8 tracks to be used at one. the one i have lets you use 4. tracks 5/6 and 7/8 are stereo pairs that can't be split into separate tracks. they are meant to bounce material from the first 4 tracks to.
If you know you're going to be recording more than 2 tracks at once, why not consider buying a different multitracker?

Assuming you're buying it new, for the same price you could get a used Tascam 2488 which can record up to 8 tracks at once. I bought a used 2488 MkII a while ago for £275.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If you know you're going to be recording more than 2 tracks at once, why not consider buying a different multitracker?

Assuming you're buying it new, for the same price you could get a used Tascam 2488 which can record up to 8 tracks at once. I bought a used 2488 MkII a while ago for £275.

from the ones i've seen, i can't afford anything that suits my needs more than the dp-02, where did you pick that up for that price dude?
Quote by Mitchybirch
from the ones i've seen, i can't afford anything that suits my needs more than the dp-02, where did you pick that up for that price dude?

2nd hand on eBay.

Obviously you need to have a certain amount of patience waiting for the right one to turn up, I think I was waiting for about 6 weeks before the right one turned up at the right price.

Is linking to your PC an option? If so, another one to watch for is the Zoom R series. I know the 16 & 24 track versions can record 8 tracks at once, not sure about the 8 track version. The only thing with them is that although it is a standalone multitracker, it's also a sort of hybrid which acts as an interface & control board for hooking up to a software based DAW on your PC, so I don't know if it would be suitable for you as I'm not sure how far through the mixing process you get before you have to link to a PC.

There are loads of options though, if you surf eBay for newly listed multitrackers each day, you'll learn more about all the different options. I'd definitely recommend the 2488 if you can find one though.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Nov 19, 2011,
yes i'm looking to get one for christmas, and linking to my pc is an option although i'd much, much rather be able to do everything on the recorder itself, in essence, i need a multitrack recorder that has 4 inputs (microphone, guitar, bass, electric drums), a built in cd burner, and the ability to record 4 tracks at once.

also, i see alot about XLR inputs, as i'm very new to all of this does this mean if it has XLR inputs i won't be able to put my guitar lead directly into it?

and another question to ask would be, can i put my boss ds-1 pedal straight into it, hence allowing me to switch between clean and distortion when needed?

apologies if this is all really obvious stuff i should already know, but i genuinely don't!

thanks
Last edited by Mitchybirch at Nov 19, 2011,
An XLR input generally means a mono low level (mic or instrument) input. There is usually a 1/4" on the same input. Sometimes the 1/4" and the XLR are in the same jack. You will frequently have other line level inputs and they are often in stereo pairs.

You should have no problem using the XLR inputs. If you don't have an associated 1/4" there are cables that convert to 1/4".

Recording a stomp pedal like the DS-1 is doable but you need to realize that stomps are designed to go through guitar amps to get the final tone. A stomp direct with no cab model may sound harsh. Some stomps have a mixer out that provides a rudimentary cab model in the form of a filter.
Quote by fly135
An XLR input generally means a mono low level (mic or instrument) input. There is usually a 1/4" on the same input. Sometimes the 1/4" and the XLR are in the same jack. You will frequently have other line level inputs and they are often in stereo pairs.

You should have no problem using the XLR inputs. If you don't have an associated 1/4" there are cables that convert to 1/4".

Recording a stomp pedal like the DS-1 is doable but you need to realize that stomps are designed to go through guitar amps to get the final tone. A stomp direct with no cab model may sound harsh. Some stomps have a mixer out that provides a rudimentary cab model in the form of a filter.

that's great, i think i'm going to go for the tascam dp02 for now and see what i can do with it.

http://www.westenddj.co.uk/upload/Products/dp02back.jpg

looking at this i see it has a send, return l and return r inputs, what are these? and i think this will be all of my questions thanks UG!

EDIT: Hmm, i've just seen a BOSSBR800, and it allows simultaneous recording for up to 4 tracks with the lack of a cd burner..anyone have any thoughts on the br800 vs the dp02?
Last edited by Mitchybirch at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by fly135

I don't know about the DP02 in particular, but a lot of multitrackers include amp models in the effects options which should rectify this (not sure about the DP02, but the BR800 definitely does).

Quote by Mitchybirch
i've just seen a BOSSBR800, and it allows simultaneous recording for up to 4 tracks with the lack of a cd burner..anyone have any thoughts on the br800 vs the dp02?

Out of the two, I'd definitely go for the BR800. It's significantly more advanced than the DP02 and has a lot more features. It includes a drum machine so you'd be able to play around with that on your own without necessarily needing your drummer there and it also acts as a USB interface if you outgrow it and need to link up to a software DAW. It also has 64 virtual tracks, the DP02 doesn't have any. You'd be surprised how quickly you use up the standard 8 tracks.

Just to make sure you're fully informed about both, here are a couple of reviews:
DP02 - http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/multitrack-recorders/hard-disk-recorders/dp02-152793/review

BR800 - http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/multitrack-recorders/br-800-digital-multitracker-278725/review
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
$380 for a multitracker with only 2 XLR inputs is a bit steep. Go for a different multitracker, or a PC audio interface instead. Using an external mixer/Y-Cables/whatever is ok if you don't intend on mixing anything after you've hit record, but if you want to actually do anything after that, you're going to need more physical inputs on the unit, instead.

I don't see why you need a built in CD burner, I guess it could be nice - But most of the new recorders save to a media card, which you can then connect to your computer at home and burn CDs off it. Even if your computer sucks, it can clearly handle logging onto the internet, so it can handle burning CDs. You're paying a lot extra for the CD burner, when you could be getting a unit that has more inputs and higher recording quality.

What kind of computer setup are you using that you can't use an interface, instead? I'm not saying the multitracker won't work best for you, but for the price you're looking to pay for a multitracker, you could get an interface that has much higher quality mic preamps and A/D conversion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kyle62
You know for the price of the DP-02 you could get a Zoom R16? 8 simultaneous inputs, and works as a USB interface too. much more for your money.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Needing a CD burner built into it really limiting the choices - If you don't mind using an SD card, the Zoom has plenty of inputs, and you can use it later down the road as a computer interface if you decide to go that route instead.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Needing a CD burner built into it really limiting the choices - If you don't mind using an SD card, the Zoom has plenty of inputs, and you can use it later down the road as a computer interface if you decide to go that route instead.

Personally, I don't see the point of getting a low-end recorder with a CD burner built in.

You're paying a huge premium for something that any computer can do, and if you're mixing entirely on the Tascam your demos aren't going to sound that great anyway.

Multitrackers are great for minimal hassle and getting stuff down simply, but the mixing should be done on a PC if you want decent results.
before the most recent few comments i was already mildy persuaded to drop the cd burner..now i'm fully persuaded! i'm having a hard time deciding between the r16 and br800 now...mind i really don't need more than 4 simultaneous tracks as the stuff i'll be playing/recording intended to be raw and real so to speak..any thoughts?
Quote by Mitchybirch
before the most recent few comments i was already mildy persuaded to drop the cd burner..now i'm fully persuaded! i'm having a hard time deciding between the r16 and br800 now...mind i really don't need more than 4 simultaneous tracks as the stuff i'll be playing/recording intended to be raw and real so to speak..any thoughts?

Out of the R16 and the BR800, I'd go with the R16. More tracks, and it acts as a control board when linked to a PC as well as an interface (unless I missed it in the specs, the BR800 only works as an interface).
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Out of the R16 and the BR800, I'd go with the R16. More tracks, and it acts as a control board when linked to a PC as well as an interface (unless I missed it in the specs, the BR800 only works as an interface).

+1 to this. Friend of mine used to have the BR800 before as well, was kinda meh. Haven't tried the Zoom, but I'd rather take a chance on it than go with a BR800 again
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com