im in a band (guitarist) and our bass player needs new gear as we are getting signed soon and want to upgrade our equipment. only thing is our bassist is really a guitar player so we have no clue what we should be looking for as far as bass gear goes. what would UG recommend we get? keep in mind we literally know nothing about bass gear i.e good brands , what amp to get, what effects are needed etc.

were looking for a kind of August burns red/new born of osiris bass tone- thick and crunchy enough to cut through the mix with heavy guitars and loud drums.
What number of strings? What sort of budget are we talking about here?
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
id say around 1000 for the amp and 600/700 for the bass itself. very very soon we'll be endorsed by halo custom guitars/basses so he'll probably be getting the bass from them cause well have a discount, so i guess this thread is more aimed towards what amp/effects we should get.
Ampeg does solid stuff, they are affordable as well.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Quote by DingoDextrazio
id say around 1000 for the amp and 600/700 for the bass itself. very very soon we'll be endorsed by halo custom guitars/basses so he'll probably be getting the bass from them cause well have a discount, so i guess this thread is more aimed towards what amp/effects we should get.

1000 what? Strawberries?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Blargaha
Ampeg does solid stuff, they are affordable as well.

Nothing about Ampeg is affordable.

We need to know what currency you're using TS, availability and price vary from country to country.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Nothing about Ampeg is affordable.

We need to know what currency you're using TS, availability and price vary from country to country.

Well, for 1000 (dollars, presumably) he should have no problem findig a sweet ampeg amp. Even if they might have to go used.
^ If its in USD, $1000 could get you a used SVT CL, but that wouldn't leave you with enough for a decent cab, and a used SVT VR will easily run way over budget. You might be able to squeak by on that budget with an older SVT Pro and a 4x10, maybe. Any of their budget combos or those new Portaflex's aren't even worth looking at when you consider what else you can get for around the same price.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by DingoDextrazio
yes 1000-1200 USD is our budget. any other suggestions?

For the amp, ALWAYS look used. You can pick up some absolute gems for a steal. I'd recommend looking at pre-Gibson takeover Trace Elliott, Peavey, Gallien Kreuger, Hartke, Laney, Warwick. Stay away from Ashdown and Behringer.

For basses, get him down to your local shop and have him try out EVERYTHING in his budget.
Quote by skater dan0
Any cab with a configuration of 10" speakers so... an 810 fridge would work. It moves more air and the notes are more distinct than say a 2x15. Helps it cut through guitar walls. Ideally the cab should be a sealed enclosure.

Avoid 15" speakers unless you are playing like stoner doom type things.
Quote by BlackVoid
Any cab with a configuration of 10" speakers so... an 810 fridge would work. It moves more air and the notes are more distinct than say a 2x15. Helps it cut through guitar walls. Ideally the cab should be a sealed enclosure.

Avoid 15" speakers unless you are playing like stoner doom type things.

I disagree, my 215 can get a tone that cuts through if I wanted. It's all about EQ, speakers won't dictate how your notes will sound.
pinga
Look for a used GallienKruger RB 400/700 head, and a 4x10 GKRB cab or Ampeg SVT4x10HLF cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've always found 10" speakers more punchy. But yes you can compensate by eqing a 215 to be punchier but it still sounds like a muddy thud to me.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Ashdown and Behringer.

Why are we staying away from Ashdown now? Maybe the MAGs but the ABMs, DTP and the Vavle Series are ace, can't see many people turning down a 427 Small Block.
Anyway, if portability isn't an issue Get a Traynor YBA-200 and a sealed 610 or 810 cab.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Go 1001RB-ii huge bottom end. Great for metalcore. Get a hot hand with source audio bass envolope filter. Don't forget a sansamp DI! The soul of your tone lies in there.
Quote by consecutive e
Why are we staying away from Ashdown now? Maybe the MAGs but the ABMs, DTP and the Vavle Series are ace, can't see many people turning down a 427 Small Block.
Anyway, if portability isn't an issue Get a Traynor YBA-200 and a sealed 610 or 810 cab.

As much as I love Ashdown amps, they're not exactly known for their reliability. in any other situation I'd recommend them, but seeing as he's going on tour it's better not to risk it.
Quote by skater dan0
Sif, ABMs are solid as bricks. My Little Bastard is built like a brick shithouse too. Get your mind off the MAGs and Superflys.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
a gk mb500 fusion head and a 4x10 would be clean or gritty and nice and portable.

I play only 15's myself though.
Hell, I'd just go out and try some stuff out. Your bass player needs to start learning whats good for him and may find what he's looking for way less than your budget. People in here will recommend a hundred different things, but in the end it's up to your bassist.