I'm an avid buyer of used/new guitars and one of the most common questions people ask me is "should i buy on eBay?"

eBay is the definition of hit or miss.

PROS Ability to acquire rare, vintage or country specific products.

CONS
-FAKES: unfortunately online marketplaces are flooded with fake guitars that are replica's made in China. There are sites that help you identify if it's a fake, but fraudsters are getting better. Everything from swapped pickups to fake certificates of authenticity. Personally the only product i would buy on eBay would be an amp head. Even speaker cabinets are risky, they could have pulled out the quality speakers and replaced them with others.

-Misleading Information/Photos: Before fakes flooded the marketplace, one of the only ways to rip someone off was to display photos that only show the quality features and nothing that shows the dents, repairs, etc. How do you know hes the original owner?

EX: There was once an eBay ad for a Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom. Fake and selling for about $4000 USD. The description said "this was left behind by my ex-boyfriend. it needs to go ASAP!". Ad was pulled later that day. Need I say more?

-Returns: Never going to happen, so when you get the guitar, your stuck with it.

-POOR PACKAGING: Can't stress this enough. I had an JTM45 amp head sent to me in 1 sheet of bubble wrap in a very large empty box. I was very nervous to open the box, but fortunately nothing was wrong. THIS IS RARE. There are youtube videos, blog posts etc. showing horror stories of poor packaging resulting in damage.

-THE GUITAR: Would you buy a car without test driving it? There are those who believe you can buy any quality guitar in any condition, and with a professional setup will bring the guitar back to life. Completely false. I have rented many Fender's/Gibson's and I will tell you that even though they are quality guitars, I did not enjoy the playability of many of them. You will never know if you like it until you pick it up, even if its a Gibson Les Paul 1959 VOS. Every 1959 VOS is different, you just never know.

So now that you know the dangers of eBay, I would highly advise that you check out the used department of your local store or chain. Kijiji and Craigslist are good for the odd purchase, but you need to REALLY know all the features and value of the product your about to purchase.

I'm a Gibson guy and i understand replica's have been around for ages, but today's push by the Chinese has made buying a privately sold quality guitar quite a procedure. I also dont support people who own replica's. Im sorry, i'd say out of every 10 replica's listed on a site, 2 are displayed as replicas. Maybe a couple people out there are honest, but i guarantee passing it off as real Gibson has gone through their head.

I TRULEY BELIEVE EVERYONE IS SELLING THEIR ITEM FOR A REASON AND IN ALMOST ALL CASES THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE INSTRUMENT.

Hope this helps the UG Community.

Thnx.
o thanks
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I almost forget the eBay exists most of the time. Didn't think people still use it that much
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
sees join date

leeves

He's helping us out. Not selling us garbage. Be polite.
FORZA CATANIA
I wouldn't use eBay to buy a guitar. If I'm buying used, I always use Kijiji. Not only do you get to see the item, but you don't have to pay any shipping prices.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Hey TS, grammar much?
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
*looks down at PRS SE that cost 400 euros off eBay*

lol nah.

OT: very helpful advice bro, thanks!
Quote by KeepOnRotting
leeves

leeveess
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I saw you post this in GG & A and i was gonna post there but it got locked. You tip on 'returns never happen' is bullshit. I've known people to return a damaged guitar off ebay. As the buyer you do have rights, if the item has been incorrectly listed / arrives broken when it shouldn't be.
Quote by lushacrous
I almost forget the eBay exists most of the time. Didn't think people still use it that much

I just bought a pedal off of it a week or two ago and got it two days ago.

It's nifty if you can find what you're looking for.
i got a beautiful yairi off ebay. so its not always bad
now extra flamey
All I can say is that I've been buying and selling music gear on ebay for years, and I've never had a bad experience. I have occasionally with some other things, but I always use paypal, and for all the flak they cop they've come through for me every time.

I understand the concerns you're raising, but I've never had any of them affect me personally. Do your research, be smart, and you'll be fine.
Quote by jrotenbe
Would you buy a car without test driving it?

This is why I would never buy a guitar online. It's decent to compare prices and research something you're planning to get though.

You can look at all the pictures you want, but you'll never really know how well the guitar plays until you're playing it.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Over the years I've bought & sold around 50 guitars on eBay. I've NEVER had a problem.

I've also bought 100s of CDs, DVDs etc on there, and any time I've needed to return one it's been dealt with quickly and easily.

eBay is a great place to buy & sell things. You don't need loads of warnings about the tiny percentage of people who try to con you (they're everywhere, not just eBay), you just need a bit of common sense and you can spot the con artists a mile away.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by jonathan666666
He's helping us out. Not selling us garbage. Be polite.

-i

Quote by jrotenbe
CONS
-FAKES: unfortunately online marketplaces are flooded with fake guitars that are replica's made in China (apart from my store, buy my shit at jrotenbe.ebay.com). There are sites that help you identify if it's a fake, but fraudsters are getting better. Everything from swapped pickups to fake certificates of authenticity. Personally the only product i would buy on eBay would be an amp head. Even speaker cabinets are risky, they could have pulled out the quality speakers and replaced them with others.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Zoot Allures
I saw you post this in GG & A and i was gonna post there but it got locked. You tip on 'returns never happen' is bullshit. I've known people to return a damaged guitar off ebay. As the buyer you do have rights, if the item has been incorrectly listed / arrives broken when it shouldn't be.

This, Ebay is more secure than people think
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Thank you for that wonderful insight into the blind fucking obvious, Mr. Adbot.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by BeefWellington

he's doing a terrible job. i didn't even notice his site til the other poster pointed it out.

but rule #1 of buying guitars on ebay: Never, ever buy a Devries custom
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
he's doing a terrible job. i didn't even notice his site til the other poster pointed it out.

but rule #1 of buying guitars on ebay: Never, ever buy a Devries custom

I thought you weren't supposed to buy those to begin with.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by JAHellraiser

Me neither. I presume someone has reported this thread?

In case nobody else has, I've just done it.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by BeefWellington

This.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by GaryBillington
Over the years I've bought & sold around 50 guitars on eBay. I've NEVER had a problem.

I've also bought 100s of CDs, DVDs etc on there, and any time I've needed to return one it's been dealt with quickly and easily.

eBay is a great place to buy & sell things. You don't need loads of warnings about the tiny percentage of people who try to con you (they're everywhere, not just eBay), you just need a bit of common sense and you can spot the con artists a mile away.

*looks at join date
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
*looks at join date

Nothing wrong with my join date. Just checked my profile, tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of when I signed up
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Nothing wrong with my join date. Just checked my profile, tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of when I signed up

Well in Australia it is tomorrow already; so happy anniversary
RIP Gooze

cats