Hello all! Glad to be joining everyone!

I have heard in the past that there are a few ABY switches that cause problems in amp function and tone and such. Don't really remember because it never mattered much to me before now. Something about a buzz or hiss through the amp or something like it. I think the standard Morley ABY was one of them but can't remember.

Help? Thanks guys!
Morley shouldn't cause any problems. Any proper non-buffered ABY switch like the Morley is just two switches and three jacks. There's really nothing in there to mess with your signal unless the pedal is broken. Some more complex units like the Boss line switcher can alter your tone a bit, but that's because they have a buffer to drive long cable lengths. Often this is more positive than negative, but it depends on the rig.

I'm not sure where you heard what you did, but any normally functioning ABY is going to have zero effect on your tone or signal.
He might be thinking about grounding issues between two sources/amps/etc...

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
True, though that wouldn't be fixed by using a different type of ABY. I suppose if you were using two guitars into one amp, you could encounter some impedance issues if you weren't using a buffered one, but that's not a common use of them.
I've never used one. I just remember hearing about a problem someone had and couldn't remember and I wanted to clarify before I went and bought one. The grounding problem actually sounds familiar, so that might have been it. Thanks guys!
I've heard that passive ABY switches can degrade your tone, but I don't know if this degradation is more like having bunch of true bypass pedals in a row (bad) vs. having a couple of true bypass pedals (good)

I've also read that some of the passive ABY switches make an audible popping sound when you switch - this again I believe has something to do with not having a buffer (resistor) or something...

And then there is the grounding issue, where you can have a ground loop depending on your set up... I don't know too much about these topics (or how true they are, as I haven't any real experience with ABY switches), but I'm interested because I was just considering getting an ABY switch
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
the A/B function should not have any noise. if it's properly designed to kill the signal of an unused output, then it shouldn't have noise in A or B. in Y, there is slight possibility of ground noise, and there might be mismatch in the impedance so one amp could be louder than another depending on the volume knob setting.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the morely bleeds. so does the whirlwind. buffered aby's like the twin city are much better about this, but also typically more expensive.
i have a radial engineering big shot ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/radial-engineering-bigshot-aby-passive-switcher/153931000000000 )

its not cheap but i would honestly never use anything else. it is rugged as all hell, but the main thing is the three switches. (180 lift and iso) some combination of those switches will allow you to play through any two amps without any issues or humming or anything.

you don't lose tone with the A/B/Y more than you would from any other true bypass pedal, you lose it from the rest of the cable length that you added in addition. capacitance increases with length of cable and some cables have more some have less, but that is what takes off a little bit of the presence.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Morley's are super noisy. Ull need to spend some money
Morley's are super noisy. Ull need to spend some money on a good one.
twin city also has phase inversion and lift.

as for 'tone' loss, as tlfu says, you really don't lose any more than you would on a tb pedal. what you will lose in significant ammounts with nearly all passive/tb aby's is signal strength when attempting to run a stereo rig. your signal in a tb aby is effectively being divided, not doubled.

a buffered aby is much better for this purpose (running true stereo), as it allows the full strength of your signal to be sent in two directions. a buffered aby is also better for non-stereo, simple a/b rigs, because they are far less likely to bleed signal to the 'disengaged' output (which, again, is akin to fractioning the strength of your signal).
if you have a housing, it would probably be really cheap and easy to make. just three jacks a few switches, a few inches of wire and if you want a light (which the Rad. Eng doesn't have) i suppose you could just run an led that would be powered by a 9V (the battery would last for forever).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Anybody that can't make an ABY pedal that doesn't degrade tone shouldn't be in business, electronics is not their forte. A passive ABY is just a couple of footswitches, if that sucked tone then you've seriously screwed something up.
They are crazy simple to make yourself, especially if you just want a passive mechanical unbufferred one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GrisKy
tone isn't really the issue.

A universally untrue statement.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
except in this case.
you make a great point regarding the simplicity of building a passive ABY, but preventing the signal degredation in the first place with a buffer solves the issue of tone loss (in this instance).

EDIT: @'bard: how do you like your iceman? never really spent much time on them, but i've always heard great things about their playability. thoughts on their tone?
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 19, 2011,
I sometimes run a stereo setup.. 2 amps in 2 4x12s. There's no passive unbuffered pedal that I've tried that DOESN'T degrade tone (I've tried a bunch plus had a custom one built for me).

All problems were solved with an active Radial JX-2
Quote by Cathbard
Anybody that can't make an ABY pedal that doesn't degrade tone shouldn't be in business, electronics is not their forte.

If this were true, every manufacturer of buffered/active switching systems would be out of business
I researched ABY's a long time ago when I was considering that route, and I found that the Radial Twin City was the cheapest "fool proof" ABY out there. It's the cheapest one that has all of the features you could ever want to ensure that you get no buzzing, humming, or tone degradation, in any situation.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I feel like I've learned a lot! Ha, this takes me back to college physics!

I like what I've heard about all of the Radial ABY's. All the reviews read pretty much the same, "Does what it says it does. No BS!"

Rock on!
hey all i also have a question i recently purchased an aby box too. i own a sovtek mig 50 and was trying to lik the high and low together and to be interchangable by using the aby box to change back and forth... i hooked the box up but its not working as i planned it seems the low bypass the high for somereason i cant switch between the channels other than the previous way ( removing 1/4 in and pluging it into the other) any help would be awesome thanxxxx!!!