I was going to buy a Shure SM57 Cardioid mic but I hear that I will also need a preamp. I'm not sure which one to buy, is it necessary? I only have a Line 6 UX1. I also heard it uses an XLR (correct me if I'm wrong) cable to connect to monitors but I don't have those kind of inputs on my UX1 unless it's referring to the spot where you connect microphones (is that an XLR input?)

Thanks in advance, I'm about to step out and have a long drive ahead and don't want to go just to see.
Most microphones (except for the cheap low quality ones) are XLR so you will need an XLR input on your interface/preamp to be able to use any mic.
And you really don't need "monitors" plug your comp. to headphones or your home stereo or anything really.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Yes, the UX1 has an XLR input on the front, which is where you can plug the SM57 into
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Yes, the microphone input is XLR.

You don't need a preamp, the UX1 has a built in mic preamp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, the microphone input is XLR.

You don't need a preamp, the UX1 has a built in mic preamp.

Yeah. Make sure to open up POD farm and do the +8dB boost or whatever it is on the mixer and it will be louder.
I feel stupid asking this but how is it that you actually begin to record using this? I'm using Garageband >_>