Page 1 of 2
Do you guys think it's a good idea to take a gap year after college before you go to university? (The age is 18, I'm not quite sure of the system in america)

Do you think it's productive? Would you recommend it? Why or why not?
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
I don't see the point of gap years really, unless there's somewhere you've always wanted to visit or you try and get work then maybe. How do you intend to fund it?
OUT OF ORDER
Depends on what you do.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Many Universities look down on Gap Years, as you're more likely to have forgotten a lot of the shit you learnt in college...such as Physics!

Although personally I approve of setting time aside to go discover the ever shrinking world
Is
My
Signature Or
What?
I think it's a great idea if you're unsure what you want to do with your life and how your studies will contribute to that.
i've heard a lot of times that people who take a year off end up getting a full time job and lose motivation to go back to school

but in my opinion you could use that year to do some exploring and figure out what you're interested in... just my two cents
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Last edited by bellamy_morello at Nov 18, 2011,
I took a year of doing nothing, it gets boring after a while. I had a full time construction job over the summer and that helped, but the winter was dull as shit.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
i wouldn't everyone i know who's taken gap years cba to go to uni now
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
In a gap year right now. Doing lots of fun stuff, catched up with my guitar playing. Going to Asia this spring.

If you want to, go for it. Better than ending up somewhere you don't belong.
So long as you don't go and mess up some African village so you can show your friends a few photos of "like how amazing these people are like yeah!". I'd say go for it.
Mine was last year dropped out of University just after the last loan payment, didn't go until after the New Year for family reasons so had to sell a few guitars to get the money I wasted on a week long piss up in Turkey in September. Was going to be 6 months but ran out of money in just over 3. English money doesn't go as far as it used to.

Booked with STA travel, good with flights, crap for anything else. Went Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and Japan. Awesome experience, got drunk with locals, got sick, learnt to scuba on a Thai island with some ex navy dude, beach football everyday, camped at a National park on the Thai Malay border and got attacked by leeches, rode a moped in a tropical storm in which we broke a camera and a phone, smoked cheap cigars while watching adult shows, kayaked around reefs and beaches, snorkelled at the great barrier reef and went to a temple in japan for some festivities. Wanted to work in Australia fruitpicking but the floods killed most everything so we had to come home via Japan without going to Steve Irwins zoo, waste of a working Visa but Japan was good even without money just because it is awesome.

You will need a lot of money to do anything like this, I still owe my friend hundreds of pounds I ran out of money before Singapore. Was worth it, really want to give Japan the full trip it deserves some summer. If you have the money and Uni will delay the course then sure, you will likely come back broke so will need to have things sorted for when you come back. Might be worth doing the first year of Uni and seeing what trips they offer, I went Kenya with my course 2nd year, stayed with the Masai tribe people and Uni have Travel grants you can apply for if its a learning experience, so if you do a language for an elective you can go to that country and say it is to experience the culture.
No because then you will get lazy and be even less likely to actually go to college. You need to just keep going to school like you're already used to and get it over with.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Don't worry - If I were to take a gap year, I wouldn't leave education. I have a genuine interest in education and would want to come back out of personal pleasure if not anything else.

If I took a gap year, I might have a part time or full time job for 2-3 months and then either read around my subject or travel the world. Money's also not much of an issue because my parents are fairly well off and won't mind helping me decide what I want to be.
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
The old belief you need money to travel is a big pile of shit .. 2 years ago .. pretty much exactly .. I sold my tv, playstation and phone .. all of my belongings, I was so sick of England I actually got a map out and looked for the furthest country away from the place .. few minutes later I booked a one way and a working holiday visa to New Zealand and ****ed off a week later.
When I got there I had 100 Great British pounds, which worked out to be about 200 New Zealand dollars at the time .. they said they would check how much money you have on arrival .. and that you need roughly about 4000 dollars in your account or they wont let you in .. what a load of shit, all they asked me was where I was staying that night, I just said back 'i dunno yet' .. and that was it .. he just laughed and let me in .. kiwi's man, love em ..
so yeah spent a year there just doing odd jobs, busking, hitchhiked the whole country, got stoned with maori grandmothers and their grandkids .. loads of shit like that.
After a year, my visa was up which is handy cos i'd just been sacked from my job .. same story, sold all my shit, emptied what was left of my banks, all i could afford was a flight to sydney, the same type of visa for oz and 1 nights accomodation .. this kinda stuff forces you to get creative .. i ended up sleepin and buskin in an airport for a week once til i could afford a flight back to my old job somewhere else in the country.
I'm still goin now .. my motto is basically .. **** england .. im goin round europe now learning languages .. a gap year is a ****ing brilliant idea .. but u just gota ****in do it properly .. no point takin a year out to sit around and play with your balls .. get a sense of adventure and **** off somewhere.
i read somewhere that people who take gap years are less likely to finish college. no idea if it's true though
I went straight from high school to college. I do, however, plan to take a gap year between undergad and grad school.

I don't really see the wisdom in a gap year at age 18. Under most circumstances, you aren't financially capable of doing anything cool like traveling, and you are almost certainly not mature enough to do extensive traveling by yourself or even with just one or two other people.

I mean, if you're really that burned out on school after high school, then sure, take a year to recuperate, but for me it would have just been a waste of time.

There are clearly exceptions, but I know several people who are in the midst of a gap year right now who are doing absolutely nothing. They're just staying with their parents, some working, some not. No great adventures, no personal growth, just existing in a limbo of maturity.

FOOTNOTE: As I said, there are clearly exceptions. I think some people who take gap years do it with positive intensions and oftentimes achieve what they set out to do. I feel like my observations are a general trend though.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Nov 19, 2011,
I've never met anyone who "took a gap year" and actually went to college afterwards. True story.

Many people can do it, it's just that college will probably lose a lot of pazazz in your mind after a year of either working or doing shit all.
Last edited by due 07 at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by due 07
I've never met someone who "took a gap year" and actually went to college afterwards. True story.

Many people can do it, it's just that college will probably lose a lot of pazazz in your mind after a year of either working or doing shit all.

That's because you don't know a bunch of kids who are about to go to university you little shit.

I'm in my second year of one, but it isn't so I can "lolimagoexploreandlearnaboutmyselfhahahahasmokeALLofdaweedzyo". Had some serious shit happen which compromised my ability to not be an emotional trainwreck who is about as reliable as due's political ideologies.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
That's because you don't know a bunch of kids who are about to go to university you little shit.

Yes I do.
Quote by due 07
I've never met someone who "took a gap year" and actually went to college afterwards. True story.

neither do i.
You just finished school. Take a year off to get some cash, spend it, and have a good time.
Quote by due 07
Yes I do.

You're like 13. Yeah ok

My experience is the opposite and I'm, you know, old enough to grow hair on my balls
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're like 13. Yeah ok

My experience is the opposite and I'm, you know, old enough to grow hair on my balls

Assuming you are able to read more than one sentence in a post, you'd know that I don't doubt you.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're like 13. Yeah ok

Quote by due 07
Assuming you are able to read more than one sentence in a post, you'd know that I don't doubt you.

Well maybe you should manage to be able to write a two sentence post where your second sentence really makes it hard to believe your first sentence. Unless, you know, you're not old enough to go to university by a few years anyways.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Well maybe you should manage to be able to write a two sentence post where your second sentence really makes it hard to believe your first sentence. Unless, you know, you're not old enough to go to university by a few years anyways.

Quote by Thrashtastic15

If you want to put me at fault for your ineptness, I'll comply.

Sorry, won't happen again, my bad, etc etc.
Quote by TS
Anyone taking a gap year?

Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm in my second year of one.

Does not compute.
Quote by due 07
If you want to put me at fault for your ineptness, I'll comply.

Sorry, won't happen again, my bad, etc etc.

Don't worry about him, he mad.

Seriously, that's such an over-reaction.

"I've never known anybody who has taken a gap year and then gone to university"

"FUCK YOU RATSHIT MOTHERCUNTING FUCKHEAD."
I didn't know what I wanted to do at university, so I took a year out, worked full time for 10 months and travelled in europe for the other two. Really improved me a lot as a person (the full time work more than the travel). I'd say go for it unless you are really set on doing a specific subject at uni.
Up The Boro!
Quote by spitonastranger
Does not compute.

A gap year is not terminology here and I don't give a rats ass what you comprehend it as. I'm using your terminology to describe something that is much more broad in scope. Maybe you should make your gap year permanent.

I'm not inept and I'm not mad. I took a shot at due and, as usual, he's too thick to realise that it was essentially just a cheapshot at his age since it was practically begging to be made. You're not witty Australia.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
A gap year is not terminology here and I don't give a rats ass what you comprehend it as. I'm using your terminology to describe something that is much more broad in scope. Maybe you should make your gap year permanent.

I'm not inept and I'm not mad. I took a shot at due and, as usual, he's too thick to realise that it was essentially just a cheapshot at his age since it was practically begging to be made. You're not witty Australia.

Dude **** off.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

As long as you do something that's just as, more productive than college. Think of it like that, smoking weed in your appartment doesn't count even if you say its mentally efficient.
Page 1 of 2