after my last thread ive decided i was going for a amp no one mentioned that i forgot about, the randall rg75g3+ combo amplifier but i have had no chance to play one so im still wondering if i should get one or if i should get a distortion pedal instead, the two i have in mind are the mxr fullbore metal due to the scoop switch that boosts the bass and treble, the noise gate, and gain and the fact its a lot cheeper, but then i noticed that a site has a damage control solid metal for £200 and i like the idea behind it so what im asking is: do i go for the randall amp or one of the distortion pedals? but then which distortion pedal?( ill be playing the distortion pedals into the crunch mode of a marshall mg50fx)
to help get an idea of my existing tone ill post my "rig":
washburn dime333 w/bill lawrence l500xl and a 59' in D standard tuning at A=430Hz in into my pedal board which goes : mxr phase 90, mxr wylde overdrive, digitech whammy wh1 (reissue), mxr black label chorus(for cleans only), dunlop crybaby, dunlop crybaby from hell. the signal then goes into my marshall mg50fx and kept mostly on either clean or od2. my settings for both channels are gain: 6(clean) 10(od2), bass:8, mids:1, treble:10, reverb:2-3, no fx, with damping on. im looking for a high gain thrash tone but it to still be musical and have a hint of southern style
What you really need is a new amp.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
new amp for sure. not familiar with the Randall. dude you have some nice gear why cheap out on the part that really counts? if the Randall is tube then go for it if not then consider getting a metal orientated amp. also use the mid knob on your amp that totally scooped tone setting is part of your problem.
i only use the normal crybaby for effetcs on the clean compined with the phase 90 sound pretty good, i normally use that for the clean harmonys with my rhythm guitarist when we copy the vocal parts, the other one is for the leads on the od2 also i forget to mention i have the overdrive on all the time even on my cleans(i just turn down the volume on the neck pickup and ajust it to vary feed back) ,so i need a noise gate so i thought the mxr fullbore metal when plugged into the fx return means i get both the clean and heavy distortion
maybe thats true but ive had no problems so far but i remember that just in case
also im going to be dividing my rig now so if i get the randall i will also get a amp switcher so i use the marshall for my cleans and that randall for my metal sound so the two wahs will be seperated and the noise gate ill try to get will keep the randall silent, also for the dirty sounds ill be placing a 6 band eq infront of the crybaby from hell to achieve sound the likes from damageplan (best heard just after the chorus on pride by damageplan) and id also use my a 10 band eq in the fx loop of the randall to fine tune the sound. what do you think of this set up ?
Quote by metalgod47
also im going to be dividing my rig now so if i get the randall i will also get a amp switcher so i use the marshall for my cleans and that randall for my metal sound so the two wahs will be seperated and the noise gate ill try to get will keep the randall silent, also for the dirty sounds ill be placing a 6 band eq infront of the crybaby from hell to achieve sound the likes from damageplan (best heard just after the chorus on pride by damageplan) and id also use my a 10 band eq in the fx loop of the randall to fine tune the sound. what do you think of this set up ?

Get the Randall for sure, dude. Using the two amps at the same time like that is a good idea, too. The guitarist in an old friend of mine's band ran an A-B-Y into a 5150 for the metal tones and a Marshall AVT150H for clean tones. Worked great. Adding an EQ to your rig is always a good idea, as well.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
also due to the a level courses im currently taking im planning on "hot rodding" my eqipment when i learn how to so also let me know what youd think to a "hot rodded" randall with some eq alietations and modified wylde overdrive
Quote by metalgod47
also due to the a level courses im currently taking im planning on "hot rodding" my eqipment when i learn how to so also let me know what youd think to a "hot rodded" randall with some eq alietations and modified wylde overdrive

How to you plan to modify all the gear?
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
i dont know yet as i havnt learnt that much weve only just started the electronic assignments in my engineering course but for the randall ill try to add more gain to it or change it so the vintage overdrive is more like my rhythm channel and then the modern overdrive is just full out gain for my leads to try and add sustain and with a noise gate it should keep everything nice and clear
although i do feel that the fullbore metal would be easier to modify and the sound files ive heard show that it contains plently of gain with the gain dial at 3
Quote by metalgod47
i dont know yet as i havnt learnt that much weve only just started the electronic assignments in my engineering course but for the randall ill try to add more gain to it or change it so the vintage overdrive is more like my rhythm channel and then the modern overdrive is just full out gain for my leads to try and add sustain and with a noise gate it should keep everything nice and clear

noise gate won't keep your signal clean it just means that it won't feedback as much or at all. if you use to much gain and have a muddy sound then that won't change. you really shouldn't need to mod all this stuff to get a good sound. you are having issues because you have totally scooped your mids . if you keep piling on the gain all you end up with is mush.
what is the difference between a noise gate and a noise suppressor? i went to get a gate a while ago and the guy suggested me a suppressor instead, which is best to get so i can get silence when i stop playing or if im playing walk and i want to get silence between the notes?
Quote by metalgod47
what is the difference between a noise gate and a noise suppressor? i went to get a gate a while ago and the guy suggested me a suppressor instead, which is best to get so i can get silence when i stop playing or if im playing walk and i want to get silence between the notes?

basically the same thing but that's not how it works. you aren't going t get silence between the notes. they are designed to get rid of the extra noise involved with high gain and using pedals which add noise to the signal. they also help cut down on feedback but you won't get silence.
What you really need are more mids...

/useless sarcasm

Honestly i would get the Randall amp. Any reason you decided on that particular one? Honestly by looking at your equipment i think it would be a safe guess that you are a Dimebag/Wylde fan. Have you checked out the Dime amps they have out? I've seen a few demos and they seem pretty nice for a solid state amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sA03Cmtsk&feature=related
ive had a look and was going to buy one but while both zakk wylde and dimebag are my main influences i dont want ot sound just like them, and also apparently the dime amp doesnt have that much gain so i though of it as a big no but hte reason ive chossen that randal is because its the only "good" one ive seen that i can afford and also the rg75g3+ is cheaper than the rg75g3 which doesnt even make sence, i thought the "+" was meant to mean more?
and i know a noise gate will litterly "cut" off part of you signal but i always assumed the suppressor would, for lack of a better word, squash or suppress my sound id like a agressive tone so i cant afford to have it being held back if you know what i mean
another thing thats been on my mind is the value of one of my guitars, its a washburn dime 333 dimeslime that i had modified with a bill lawrence lx500l in the bridge and a semour duncan 59 in the neck, washburn licenced floyd, dunlop zakk wylde strings (0.10- 0.46) and it ahs the un coloured back liek the usa models, how much would you say its worth? in £ pease as i am british however $ is fine too, i can make conversions