I'm debating between an ENGL E530 preamp and a Blackstar HT100 head. I've played the Blackstar head at a local shop and it sounded really good (although I didn't really get to use a guitar suited to my style), but I wonder, also, if an ENGL E530 would suit me better? I play death metal and I like a nice tight, defined tone (and, for the record, more mids=good in my opinion). So, should I go for the head or the preamp?

*EDIT* My guitars that I use include:
  • LTD F400FM (E Standard)
  • LTD M-200 with Duncan Blackouts (D Standard/Drop C)
  • Epi LP/DiMarzio D Activator-X pups/Blackout Preamp (B Standard/Drop A)
Last edited by Gurut at Nov 18, 2011,
You'll want a power amp if you want to be substantially heard, the ENGL comes with a 1.5 W SS power amp for like, practice and shit.

If you could I would get both, get an A/B box, stick the ENGL's power amp out into the "Return" option of the Blackstar's FX loop, and run them both.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
You'll want a power amp if you want to be substantially heard, the ENGL comes with a 1.5 W SS power amp for like, practice and shit.

If you could I would get both, get an A/B box, stick the ENGL's power amp out into the "Return" option of the Blackstar's FX loop, and run them both.

That's the ultimate goal haha. And I know that I have to invest in a good poweramp, preferably tube. Which do you think would benefit me most to start out with?