Should I try to fake my age in order to join a band looking for a bassist? Im only 16.5, but ive been rockin the bass for the last idk...3 years? XD anyways i saw an ad today saying 18+ looking for bassist in my area's craigslist and I was just like... people live in the middle of nowhere too?? XD

And I already get there will be some **** comments, so please leave the comments at home. Thanks!
uhh, they probably don't want to get an 18+ bassist because they think that you will be unskilled. it's probably because they will go into venues that you have to be 18 and older to get inside.

so if you fake your age, you might not be let in a venue for being a minor. and then that band will hate you.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Be honest with them. There may be an 18+ requirement for a reason, like legal issues and liabilities. It may be the requirements in order for them to gig at their desired venues, or the ability to enter into a legally enforceable contract or agreement. A serious band would (and should) want these requirements met.

A casual band that is just looking to jam and write music might be more flexible and make exception if you are the right person for the job. Just lay it on the table, and find out what their concerns are with 18+. They might be able to work around it.

Lying sets a bad precedent for you. If you get found out, your credibility will be shit. Your band (and other musicians, when word gets around) won't be able to trust you for much of anything after that.
I agree with the above. Don't worry TS, you'll be 18 soon enough...or even 30.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's probably not the best idea to lie to your potential bandmates, but if you really think it's a good opportunity, try getting an audition with them anyway. If you're good enough, maybe you can get them to work around the age problem. I think Dave Matthews' bassist joined the band when he was only 16; he was just so good that they had to take him.
I did something similar once. I had been trying to start my first serious bad for a while now, but was finding it hard for other musicans to take me seriously at 15 years old. When two 18 year olds posted an ad looking for a guitarist, I lied and said I was 17. The band fell apart almost as soon as it began, so it wasn't really a problem that I had lied, but in hindsight, my playing wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was at the time.
Quote by AlanHB
I agree with the above. Don't worry TS, you'll be 18 soon enough...or even 30.

word

CT

Funny story: Ages ago, when Nirvana and Pearl Jam were cranking out top ten hits, a friend and I were in a band. We were, like, 23 at the time. His boss said one day, "Thirty is just around the corner, ya know."

Geez, and we laughed... and we laughed...

It became a running joke. Everything was tagged with the punch line, "Cuz ya know, thirty is just around the corner."

...and we laughed... and we laughed...

And then later.... not much later, mind you... the jokes stopped. No, not because the joke got old. It *never* got old. It's just that, in what seemed like a very short time, it became eerily UNfunny.

I find it absolutely baffling that I am now closer to retirement than I am to being old enough to drive a car. F**k me. Where does the time go?
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Wait 2 years and you'll be an 18 year old who's been playing for 5 years, have a reasonable amount of gig-worthy equipment and experience that bands look for. If you take into account that you were 13 when you started, unless you took serious lessons and put a lot of work into you're playing, your practicing probably wasn't very efficient.

When it comes to me auditioning for a band, I think of the best-case scenario: we write and record a record, and perform live. Then I look at the type of music, the area, and my personal skill, and think "Could I write music of a caliber that people could hear and say "Wow, this is well-composed!"?", or "Can I handle running around on a possibly very hot stage playing with a metal band for at least an hour without my playing getting sloppy?" or "Does my gear even sound good enough where people would take me seriously?"
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by axemanchris
I find it absolutely baffling that I am now closer to retirement than I am to being old enough to drive a car. F**k me. Where does the time go?

Yeah tell me about it. I think just around the time all your mates are getting married you go "huh? isn't that what old people do? oh wait.....". I'm 28 now. Everyone works full time and wears suits and stuff. May as well end it now.
Soundcloud
I know a band who had a member who was underage. They had a gig lined up, and the venue (a bar) ID'd everyone. Gig cancelled at the soundcheck.

Don't lie about it. Some venues care. Others don't.
To throw another point of view into the mix... lying about your age to get into a band is very rock and roll.....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah tell me about it. I think just around the time all your mates are getting married you go "huh? isn't that what old people do? oh wait.....". I'm 28 now. Everyone works full time and wears suits and stuff. May as well end it now.

I know what you mean... I'm 24, working full time and most of my friends who are the same age or younger are getting married... makes me feel both prematurely old AND lonely!
lol
Quote by mrkeka
I know what you mean... I'm 24, working full time and most of my friends who are the same age or younger are getting married... makes me feel both prematurely old AND lonely!
lol

What the... I don't remember posting this?!
Quote by axemanchris
word

CT

Funny story: Ages ago, when Nirvana and Pearl Jam were cranking out top ten hits, a friend and I were in a band. We were, like, 23 at the time. His boss said one day, "Thirty is just around the corner, ya know."

Geez, and we laughed... and we laughed...

It became a running joke. Everything was tagged with the punch line, "Cuz ya know, thirty is just around the corner."

...and we laughed... and we laughed...

And then later.... not much later, mind you... the jokes stopped. No, not because the joke got old. It *never* got old. It's just that, in what seemed like a very short time, it became eerily UNfunny.

Heh, that's nothin' sonny, I remember when all this was just fields.
Are you mocking me? C'm'ere ya little punk and I'll give ye a whoopin' with my cane!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Well back in my day tube amplifiers were for the rich and famous! Now any young whippersnipper can buy a tube amp. Where's the respect? Young people these days.
Soundcloud

BTW... have you seen my teeth? I put them on the nightstand an hour ago....

CT

I'd say audition for the band, but be honest about your age. If you're good enough, they'll find a way to work with you.

Like the other posters said, as soon as you lie to them you set a precedent. They will find out eventually and never trust you again.

To join in with the other conversation that's going on, I'm 37. But as I've ignored several birthdays my official age is 26.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
^ Hehe... I have a daughter almost your age.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
^ Hehe... I have a daughter almost your age.

CT

I have a son almost your age Chris. Strange but true.
Soundcloud
Quote by axemanchris
Are you mocking me? C'm'ere ya little punk and I'll give ye a whoopin' with my cane!

Who me sir? Certainly not, I really do remember when all this was just fields

Quote by Metal_Ghost
Seriously how old are you all?

45.... yep, I'm actualy older than chris.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 28, 2011,
I like this thread. I was starting to think I was the oldest person here, but I'm still a baby compared to some of you
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If UG was a town, the recording and bandleading forums would be like the nice restaurants and the city hall and stuff.

The pit would be the daycare center.

Demographics of location, man!

Great pic, slack!

CT

Quote by axemanchris
If UG was a town, the recording and bandleading forums would be like the nice restaurants and the city hall and stuff.

The pit would be the daycare center.

Demographics of location, man!

Great pic, slack!

CT

That post needs to be permanently displayed on UG's main page!!

Best post ever.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud