Long story short, tried out an AC30HW head with a Fender Mustang V cab and a Traynor YCV40WR, and I liked the Traynor a lot more. This is all my opinion of course.

I was surprised. I thought for sure I was after an AC30 for a long time, but after trying out both amps side by side I have to say the Traynor was a lot better. Maybe I just prefer 6L6's

AC30: With humbuckers it was dark in the normal channel (even with the bright switch on). It had some great sounds in it, most were usable. It had kind of a "round" sound to it. I didn't like how the master volume broke up the normal channel, it became too flubby and muddy (I guess the tone is more dependant on the master volume being raised a LOT more).

The Top Boost channel was nice, but the only gain I liked from it was with the hot switch selected and the volume cranked. It really sang then, but for the rest of the options for this channel I would think a pedal would be needed for lead work.

Traynor: It was amazing how flexible this amp was. Great clean sounds from both channels and good, steady breakup as the volume was increased. Had a nice reverb, and the gain was appropriate for all styles but metal. I played blues, classic rock, hard rock, classical, jazz, and country and the amp did everything well. I've played through Fender Twin reissues, Hot Rod Deluxes, Marshall Vintage Moderns, and Fender Supersonics, and I liked the Traynor better than all of them. Am I tonally deaf or something???

The Traynor is half the price of the AC30HW head ...it's kind of unbelievable.

Have you ever had an affordable amp surprise you when you compared it to a top-dollar "classic amp"? Have you played either of these amps?
Traynors are a good thing. That's why they get recommended here so often.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can put el34's and even kt77's in the traynor.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
traynor amps are incredibly underrated. they're cleans are among the best (some are very close to fender level cleans), and they have just about every usable tone under the sun. they're reverb is really great. they take pedals stupidly well, and to top it off, they have the best warranty in the business (in my opinion). nobody but them would do an "even if you break it" warranty.

if you like it, buy it. you wont regret it.

no, i'm not a traynor fan boy. i dont own one. but they are among my favourite brands and they are the only non-boutique brand i will actually purchase (from now on i mean).
The fact that you were playing the AC30 into a Mustang cab goes to show that speakers and cabinets make a big big difference to your tone.

Run it with something that has Celestion Blues and I guarantee you'll think differently about the AC30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The fact that you were playing the AC30 into a Mustang cab goes to show that speakers and cabinets make a big big difference to your tone.

Run it with something that has Celestion Blues and I guarantee you'll think differently about the AC30.

Yeah when I saw that the AC30 was sitting on a cheaper Mustang cab I was wary when playing through it.

The thing is though, a vox cab (with the blues in it) alone costs more (1,099 new) than the full Traynor combo does. Add the price of the head in and I'd be spending $2500 compared to the Traynor's $770. Would the cab make that HUGE of a difference where the vox would totally be worth the $2500?
Yes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by User_Name336
traynor amps are incredibly underrated. they're cleans are among the best (some are very close to fender level cleans), and they have just about every usable tone under the sun. they're reverb is really great. they take pedals stupidly well, and to top it off, they have the best warranty in the business (in my opinion). nobody but them would do an "even if you break it" warranty.

if you like it, buy it. you wont regret it.

no, i'm not a traynor fan boy. i dont own one. but they are among my favourite brands and they are the only non-boutique brand i will actually purchase (from now on i mean).

They're pretty close to boutique actually. Auto tube matching (not auto bias) and a hum canceling thing is awesome.

the new ones look real sharp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

the only reason i dont call them boutique, especially in canada, is that just about every store has them. all the major ones, and at least one or two smaller shops in town. features and sound wise, yeah. they're pretty awesome. price wise, they're even more awesome. they're cheaper here than most of their fender, marshall, and vox counterparts.
Quote by User_Name336
the only reason i dont call them boutique, especially in canada, is that just about every store has them. all the major ones, and at least one or two smaller shops in town. features and sound wise, yeah. they're pretty awesome. price wise, they're even more awesome. they're cheaper here than most of their fender, marshall, and vox counterparts.

You know... Mesa Boogie was the original "boutique" company. They're everywhere in the US, and still assembled by people in the USA. Keeley, and a whole load of "boutique" pedals are available on musiciansfriend. Boutique can mean many things, but just because it's widely available doesn't change anything.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Ahh god every time i hear Traynor i want one. Me and my bud played a mexi strat trough one a couple months ago and the sound was fracking killer. I honestly prefer the cleans over alot of fender amps that price. I have not played a single amp that compared to that one.
not even close to a fair comparison.

you choked the living shit out of the vox.

traynor makes nice amps, no doubt. but you never gave the vox a chance.
The term "boutique" has lost all meaning, if it indeed ever had any to begin with.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification