Hey folks, I've been out of the gear loop for a while, and am about to go out trying amps to buy and want to make sure I haven't missed anything that fits my specs. Here's the deal:

- I'd rather not spend more than $700 new or used, but if it's a head I need to get a cab with it as well for that same price range. For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards heads at this point as apposed to combos, but am flexible on that point.

- I'd rather get something under 50 watts; I have no use for anything that big, but I'll not shy away from an amp simply because it has that much power.

- I won't buy an amp that I can't play first! I don't have to play the exact amp, just the same model. Therefore, I won't buy any obscure out of production amps that I can't try first.

- Has to do higher gain lead tones/rhythms very well, and most everything down the scale from there gain wise: older rock, heavy metal, blues, etc. and do it well. Good cleans are important as well. Point being, I don't necessarily need any uber d-tuned metal tones or anything like that, but definitely a large helping of gain. At the end of the day I really don't play a whole lot of that stuff, and if I ever needed to on a more regular basis, I'm totally comfortable with using a pedal instead of getting that tone from my amp directly.

Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

Blackstar HT 40

Jet City JCA22H

Egnater Tweaker

You guys got any other suggestions? Heads/combos, etc? Throw out cab suggestions on the cheap if you know of some. Nothing bigger than a 2x12 or a 4x10 or so.
pretty much what you already found

as for cabs, if u live in the US, check out whitebox cabs. very cheap yet very nice from what i hear with great speakers (u choose from a selection)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Jet City Amps JCA50
Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC30 or AC50
Traynors
The new Paul Reed Smith amps
Marshall JCM 800 2204
The new Ampeg guitar amps
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
jet city are great, also try out the new prs se amps and the marshall jcm 800.

jet city are probably most bang for buck though
Quote by Raijouta
Jet City Amps JCA50
Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC30 or AC50
Traynors
The new Paul Reed Smith amps
Marshall JCM 800 2204
The new Ampeg guitar amps

PRS and JCM are a good ways out of my price range, JCM simply because it's too much, PRS simply because you can't really find those used yet.

Not interested in the Classic 30 or the Vox amps, tried those.

The Ampeg amps look great though, and it's been a few years since I plugged into a Traynor, I remember liking their YCV50Blue, which looks like it's been re-done as the YCV50B now; thanks for the suggestions, I'll make sure to try those out!