Ok. MultiEffects vs Modelling amps(Vypyr, Mustang,Spider).
Which one would you guys prefer and which one would have better quality distortion?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Well, you aren't going to get to far with a MultiFX pedal without an amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Why? Is there a point to this thread?

This'll probably get closed, Vs. threads aren't allowed.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Why? Is there a point to this thread?

This'll probably get closed, Vs. threads aren't allowed.

He wants to know if amps with modelling tech built into it have better sounding distortion than modelling pedals themselves.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Besides, there was a Vs. thread the other day that, as far as I know, didn't get closed at all.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Comparing what to what though? Some multi-fx sound better than digital modelling amps. If he was comparing say a HD-500 coupled with a Blues Jr or a Vypyr Tube, different story, but he's just asking a vague question that can't properly be answered.

Just saying mate. It'll probably get closed.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Fine. Say Im gonna run a boss gt-10 or a pod HD500 through a PA. Would that set up be better or would something else like a tube vypyr be better?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
I personally would like the Tube Vypyr more than that set up

cuz t00bz
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Are you actually? Or are you just trying to save the thread?

In any case, the Vypyr Tube will be better.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by amithkallupalam
Fine. Say Im gonna run a boss gt-10 or a pod HD500 through a PA. Would that set up be better or would something else like a tube vypyr be better?

The GT10 has terrible distortion.

I would pick the HD500, plus some sort of FRFR amp for the stage, run one out to the PA and one to your amp.

The Vypyr has awesome sounding distortion, but eh HD will be simply put more versatile, since it lets you use 8 effects, and as many of each as you want, (ie an OD into a Fuzz, or Chorus into Flange, or stack OD's etc) while the Vypyr lets you use one of each- stompbox effect (comp, OD, fuzz, chorus, any one of them), amp model, rack effect (again any one) , delay, verb, noise gate. Also, the HD lets you bi amp, and run stereo signal chains (ire left channel Dual Recto with boost, right channel Powerball with delay)- not possible on the Vypyr. It also has things like parametric and graphic EQ's which the Vypyr doesnt have.

The only advantage the Vypyr has is that it has tubes and that doesnt automatically make it better. Both the HD and the Vypyr can dish out comparable tones with proper tweaking.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The GT10 has terrible distortion.

I would pick the HD500, plus some sort of FRFR amp for the stage, run one out to the PA and one to your amp.

The Vypyr has awesome sounding distortion, but eh HD will be simply put more versatile, since it lets you use 8 effects, and as many of each as you want, (ie an OD into a Fuzz, or Chorus into Flange, or stack OD's etc) while the Vypyr lets you use one of each- stompbox effect (comp, OD, fuzz, chorus, any one of them), amp model, rack effect (again any one) , delay, verb, noise gate. Also, the HD lets you bi amp, and run stereo signal chains (ire left channel Dual Recto with boost, right channel Powerball with delay)- not possible on the Vypyr. It also has things like parametric and graphic EQ's which the Vypyr doesnt have.

The only advantage the Vypyr has is that it has tubes and that doesnt automatically make it better. Both the HD and the Vypyr can dish out comparable tones with proper tweaking.

Ok so if i get a tube vypyr, ill have to buy the sanpera along with it which will cost a lot. But if i get the multi effects processor, i can use it anywhere i want and i wont have to carry my amp everywhere since multieffects can work without guitar amps.

Any way, What would be a good multieffects pedal. Mainly for distortion.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pod HD.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by amithkallupalam
Ok so if i get a tube vypyr, ill have to buy the sanpera along with it which will cost a lot. But if i get the multi effects processor, i can use it anywhere i want and i wont have to carry my amp everywhere since multieffects can work without guitar amps.

Any way, What would be a good multieffects pedal. Mainly for distortion.

The Pod HDxxx, X3, and red-screen RPxxx have the best distortions/amp modelling.

The HD500 is easily the best sub 500 dollar device.
Vypyr Tube, because 1) the tubes do make a difference, and 2) there's something about having an actual amp that a MFX & PA just can't replicate.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Vypyr Tube, because 1) the tubes do make a difference, and 2) there's something about having an actual amp that a MFX & PA just can't replicate.

He can always get an FRFR amp down the line, like I did.......
OK thanks guys. I saw a multiFx pedal the other day. It's called the Korg AX3000G. Any idea how good it is?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
What's wrong with your vypry?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by amithkallupalam
OK thanks guys. I saw a multiFx pedal the other day. It's called the Korg AX3000G. Any idea how good it is?
It's OK. Aparently you don't live in the US. The Korg is pretty much obsolete here.

Bottom line IMO.... modeling amps are good on a budget, but you are better off with separate components for upgradibility.
No matter how convenient it is, people like seeing amps. Go to a show where everyone plays into a processor/PA and they use a drum machine.

No mojo. At all.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
No matter how convenient it is, people like seeing amps. Go to a show where everyone plays into a processor/PA and they use a drum machine.

No mojo. At all.

The last show I saw had three MFX units. Rather, one POD X3, one XT Rack, and one SansAmp bass DI. Most of the crowd got off their seats and went off to the front to head bang

That said, the drummer had a pretty badass kit......

There was an earthquake in fact, during the performance. We thought it was the double bass when the chips packets started shaking
Quote by kutless999
What's wrong with your vypry?

Nothings wrong with it actually. My friend and I had a debate recently on whether the vypyrs distortion was better or a korg ax3000g's. He already has a vypyr. So I just wanted to know whether a multieffects pedal will have more quality compared to a modeller like the vypyr.

Ok thanks everyone! Its really inconvenient to change presets on my vypyr when i play live so i might get a multieffects pedal in a year or so. And i play my friends zoom gfx 3 through a keyboard amp and it was better than my vypyr.. SOO.
Thanks anyway guys!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Also keep in mind that the Vypyr 15 sounds pretty crappy compared to any of the bigger ones, especially the tube versions.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Zoom g2.1nu (assuming its the same as my g2.1u except for that new expression pedal)

its freaking amazing and i dont see it recommended enough. and a lot cheaper then competitors
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The problem with MFX into the PA are twofold:
1. You have to rely totally on the sound guy to hear yourself - never a good idea
2. Practically removes the ability to work feedback. You can do it but it is sub-optimal. The only way to do it properly is a big amp and a wall of speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

No mojo. At all.

Somewhat. People like seeing the guitar cabinets. Petrucci has two empty 4x12 cabinets behind him live.

ZZ Top uses drum machines, and they got plenty of mojo. Dweezil Zappa has plenty of it too.

Concerts and shows are for listening. Visual should be icing on the cake.

People usually come up and compliment my Diezel or Mesa (depending on the cabinet I use) and refuse to believe I didn't bring the matching head.

The problem with MFX into the PA are twofold:
1. You have to rely totally on the sound guy to hear yourself - never a good idea
2. Practically removes the ability to work feedback. You can do it but it is sub-optimal. The only way to do it properly is a big amp and a wall of speakers.

I run either an amp behind me, or a sweet QSC monitor behind me. I have complete control over my personal monitoring volume. Don't forget you can run the monitor or amp before you send it to the PA... Similar to mic'ing an amp, but instead your just placing a powered speaker or amp in between the processor and the pa.

I get plenty of sound to keep the feedback and sustain going.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 20, 2011,
^I either run my RP's 1/4ths to my KB4 and the XLR's to the mixer. Either that, or I run XLR to KB4, and KB4's XLR outs to mixer, if im plugging more than one instrument into it.

EDIT: he has four empty 412's (and fake Mark V heads) and two 212's with subs. Apparently he likes the boom boom of the subs on stagfe his actual rig is miced backstage with an SM57 and a condensor of some sort. The only bit you can actually see is the pedal board.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 20, 2011,